Mountune back axle exhaust – 'Yes' or 'No'?

Home Forums Performance Exhaust Mountune back axle exhaust – 'Yes' or 'No'?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Ukjon
    Participant

United Kingdom

Axle back, SSC, Charge Pipe & 375 upgrades fitted at Mountune HQ this morning.

Drive home was no more than 15 miles and had extra weight of OE components replaced by Mountune, in the boot – so lugging extra weight.

There are plenty of posts already on the merits of 375 upgrade and having not yet had opportunity to drive the car post Mountune properly, am probably not best qualified to add to them.

The biggest difference noticed was the exhaust. I had the sunroof tilted open as I usually do when above 4 degrees and compared to the full Mountune system & sports cat I had fitted to my previous Focus (MR300)  – it is loud! In fairness, I guess it really boils down to what your used to.

I did a short stretch of dual carriageway at 60 mph in 6th, normal mode. With no radio or music playing and sunroof adjar, there was a slight drone audible from the exhaust, via the sunroof. To be fair, I could not really detect said drone from the car interior alone – and imagine closing the sunroof would probably eradicate it.

In ‘normal’ driving at 2,000 revs and below, there was minimal difference between the OE and axle back. However when changing up there were some pleasing burbles bubbling in the background 🙂

Unsurprisingly above said threshold, the axle back is considerably more noticeable in its applications, both inside and outside.

I parked in an underground car park. Being as gentle as possible on the loud pedal (pun there somewhere…………..?) it sounded pretty fruity – viberating off the corner walls. Obviously in such an environment it will draw attention.

As I have stated elsewhere on this thread, the real test will be with my neighbour’s and ‘cold starts.’ Living in a Cul de Sac and hemmed in by houses on 3 sides, separated by just a narrow ribbon of concrete – it will be a loud experience. There was a definite ncrease in the db’s just slowly rolling up onto my drive.

I did prod the pedal a couple of times exiting 40 mph limits whilst in 3rd and it did seem more responsive and pulled with more vigour than before – but will need a ‘proper’ drive to appreciate the difference. However, I understand that the ‘map’ takes time to adjust to your driving styles, so may not give its best straight away?

I elected to have the sound deadening under the bonnet kept in place. Even so, there was a considerable increase in induction noise during liberal use of the right foot, although no more than my MR300.

Regards

Micklapince
    Participant

France

Hello, I am interested to buy but must it cut the original line for the installed? Thank you for your answers.

English translator because I do not know how to write excuse me.

tommy
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Yes, the original exhaust needs to be cut out first before fitting the axle back.

Micklapince
    Participant

France

Thank you for your answer ca disturbs me a little cut and alas the rest of the line mountune have not yet available. And no precision of the release date of the rest.

tommy
    Participant

UK - Scotland

It’s no problem cutting out the exhaust. When Mountune eventually offer the rest of the system it will be an easy installation. That’s how it was done on the MK2 as well

For the fitment of any make of upgraded exhaust the original will need to be cut out.

Woody
    Participant

United Kingdom

Jonathan, how are you finding the MT exhaust? Are you finding there to be a noticeable difference in normal mode and/or sports whether generally at particular revs?

I’ve had the exhaust fitted for a couple of weeks now. After a few days of having it fitted the tone changed and it’s now quite loud/boomy with gentle throttle and low rpm even in normal mode. Is yours the same? I was quite surprised as most people seem to see there’s not that much difference between the exhausts in normal mode.

Ukjon
    Participant

United Kingdom

Evening Woody,

Thanks for the mail.

In a word – yes, mine would appear to be the same. Majority of my driving has been in ‘normal’ mode. LOUD for the 25-30 sec cold warm up then settles down to a rumble. Rumbles a bit more between 1,500 – 2,000 rpm, then calms down again.

I can dictate when I want snap, crackle and bangs in ‘normal’ mode by modulating the right foot. If I lift off very gently whilst in the midrange I hear very little. If I lift off violently it does bang and fart. In ‘sport’ mode I have ‘less say’ with my right foot.

Regards

Woody
    Participant

United Kingdom

Hmm, I still can’t work out whether mines as expected or not. It sounds great, but it does get really loud (or at least louder than I’d expected) when pulling off and accelerating fairly gently through 1st and 2nd. It seems to be particularly around 2000rpm to 3500/4000 rpm.

I wouldn’t think anything of it but the majority of people seem to say its not that much louder than the standard exhaust in normal mode which definitely isn’t the case for me!

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

This may be a little sceptical but why fit these cat back systems or even a full exhaust system to the Mk3 Focus RS.

The idea from memory, was another way of releasing more power, make it rev better and breath. So why spend a grand plus to hear just noise with NO performance benefit.

As Ford on this occasion seem to have done a good job on the design of this exhaust system, but it is heavy.

I’ve spoken to several manufacturers/ suppliers such as Mountune, Scorpion, Mongoose, Milltek etc etc and none will commit to any actual power gains just the build quality, weight saving and the audial benifits, but without any increase in flow the power will not be any better than standard pipe.

The biggest performance gain seems to be that they are lighter than the OEM item, but for a grand plus !!!! Just have a pee before you set off, as lighter is faster ? And keep your grand £ for an actual improvement to the car.

Sorry for any typos as, Dog = No glasses.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Yes the cat back systems will not release much if any performance gains its mostly just to alter the sound. The bigger gains will come from the sports cat. Most will be a better quality material, look better and lighter also.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

So it’s just a decat pipe and a decat down pipe so for £500-£600 you get a performance gain.

But for £1k plus your just getting a ….erm…. a look and sound upgrade. Boat and float as they say.

Look and sound is a personal thing and no one is right or wrong on what they perceive as right.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Lee Guerin
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Jonathan, what are the benifits if the ssc and charge pipe with the 375?

cheers lee

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@leeguerin

Evening mate!! This is an old thread so I doubt very much Jonathan is gonna read it. So I’ll answer your question. The SSC is worth fitting even if your RS is standard, but it’s a MUST if you upgrade your Air Intake in any way, shape or form!! It’s basically a rubber sound suppressor that replaces the OEM part on the Turbo and eliminates the annoying whistling sound that you get on initial start up, idle and light throttle especially when the air flow into the Turbo is increased. So if I was you I’d fit it. As for the Charge Pipe…. Which Charge Pipe is he talking about?? I have personally changed ALL the Charge Pipes on my RS to Mountune ones. They are of a far higher quality and far less restrictive than the OEM pipes/hoses. This I’ve done coz I’m running more power but, once again, even on a standard RS I’d be upgrading all these parts.

Hope that helps mate!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Mountune back axle exhaust – 'Yes' or 'No'?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!