NASTY PAINTWORK ISSUE!!

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing NASTY PAINTWORK ISSUE!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Evening all!! I recently discovered that I only had 1 of those little black plastic things in the rear wheel arch as pictured below… 

So, missing the N/S one, I decided to pull the arch liner on the off chance that it was stuck in there somewhere?? Now firstly, it’s not there and secondly I have found something rather S**T!! What I have found is quite a large section of the rear wing where the paint is missing!! The picture below is of the rear wing with the bumper pulled away….

As you can see the paint is off where that plastic guard thing would sit but also along the edge where the bumper and wing meet!! I’ve checked the O/S which has the protector and all is well. Surely this is a warranty issue!! Thoughts please folks??

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

That doesn’t look good Brembo, I take it, it was missing when you bought the car. And yes that certainly looks like a warranty job.

Honorary Member

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@bobcat

Evening mate!! Yeah it’s always been missing just never thought anything of it. I’ve just scrolled back through all my photos to when I got it new and you can clearly see it’s not there!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve just discovered a rust spot the size of a pin head on my tailgate by the top corner of the number plate – no idea how the hell it got there as the car was professionally detailed and ceramic coated from delivery…that should be an interesting conversation with Ford later this week…

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo – As previously posted, the missing trim alone is a warranty issue and you now have consequential paint damage it appears therefore it’s a warranty job most certainly imo.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@Brembo

The Mk2 Focus RS didn’t have these plastic trims, but my rear wheel arches both had rust where the lip turned in facing the road wheel. Ford would not do this on warranty as the corrosion warranty is perforation not surface rust. To be honest its the one downside on Ford cars, the bodywork aint the best. I thought the MK3 seemed better sorted than the MK2 but maybe not. For example the Ford KA suffered a lot of surface corrosion on sills and petrol filler area. It looks like the only way to sort your properly is a full rear bumper removal and then the affected area repainted with a liberal wax coating protection. You may have a way in due to the trim being missing from the start, but its not good another problem with this car.

Coastliner

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@bobcat @tonys @coastliner

Thanks for your replies!!

I can understand the chips on the edge of the arch as the trim is missing and I guess that’s inevitable, but the paint coming off the edge of the wing where it runs parallel to the bumper?? Is it because the dirt etc is being thrown in there and rubbing away at it as the body flexes?? Here’s a pic of the good side…

As you can see all is well!!

Cheers, Marc.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@Brembo

I think you will get it sorted free by Ford especially if you have photos showing this part missing, its probably the reason they put the trim on after the problems with the MK2.

Coastliner

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

I may have missed something or a post ect,  just remind me did you buy it from a dealership?

Honorary Member

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@bobcat

Yeah mate, bought new on 14th April 2017 from Parks Ford Inverness.

@coastliner

I never owned a Mk2 RS so thanks for the insight mate. I can hopefully use that info if needs be!! ?.

Cheers, Marc.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo, Mmmm error on the part of the dealership not to notice and sell you the car faulty. PDI should have found that was missing, and not report it back to the sales man was wrong.

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

ooh thats am odd one Marc  ! funny enough speaking to a chap at the breakfast meeting on Sunday he mentioned that he knew of 2 people with missing baby flaps on the nsr arch. I would not want them to paint the whole rear wing etc just for that, i think I would ask them to fit the baby flap and maybe rub the loose paint off, treat with a bit of rust inhibitor and then a few coats of touch up and clear. then fit it back. maybe then gets some full size flaps as I’ve been nagging you to mate!!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@bobcat

Yeah Indeed mate. I’m a bit disappointed in myself for not noticing and doing something about it earlier!!

@71-bda

Evening mate!! I remember checking another RS and it had the N/S “baby flap” missing so I never thought much of it, but clearly it serves a purpose!! So it would appear there’s a few RS’s out there with baby flap discrepancies!! Yeah I’d much prefer it was touched in rather than sprayed, I’m sure I’d manage that myself. Still going to go to the garage and see what they say.

Cheers, Marc.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Afternoon all!! Quick update…. went to Parks Ford Inverness this morning, got sent to their Bodyshop round the corner and spoke with a very nice lassie on reception who then got the Manager to come out and have a look at my issue. Repair shall be covered under warranty. The elusive N/S baby flap has been ordered and when it arrives they’ll get my RS in to remove the rear bumper, tidy and treat the area on the rear wing then paint it. No painting up the wing, just the affected edges so should not be visible, then the baby flap fitted and bumper put back on. Drop the car off first thing and get it back the following morning.

I must say I was very impressed AGAIN by Ford, that’s 2 x warranty issues in a week and they couldn’t have gone better!! ??.

I’ll update again after repair has been done!!

Cheers, Marc.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

its most important to have your rear flaps in order Marc !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to NASTY PAINTWORK ISSUE!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!