Near Miss Today!

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Near Miss Today!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Was testing a 64 plate Zafira late this morning. Rocked out of the brake rollers, electronic parking brake on. Check oil temp and  proceed to smoke test, this is when it gets interesting.

Drivers door open, left foot wot. Car shoots off in reverse dragging me under the door, try to get back in, door hit a bloody great tractor tyre, bent it flat to the wing, dragged me back out and o/s/f wheel runs over both my feet/ankles.

Zafira travels across the car park and crashes into the vehicle parked next to my RS. Trip to A&E no broken bones. Can hardly walk, skin off, bruised from head to foot, gonna be fun tomorrow.

Moral of the story, I was a prat and left the auto box in reverse, parking brake auto disengaged when I hit the pedal.

Could have been a lot worse, good safety boots are worth their worth in gold.

Oh and the tractor tyre fell on top of me, that’s when I gave up and waited for assistance.

I’m going to have a drink now. Cheers

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Ouch that doesn’t sound good, so long as you are not injured. Not a good day hope tomorrow is better ?

Honorary Member

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Sounds almost unbelievable. Seen something similar happen in petrol station at pumps but it was an elderly driver.

Coastliner

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Elliot.

Wow that’s one hell of a near miss,I just gone cold reading this. Thanks for sharing as a reminder warning that even the most experienced people can get caught out.

Hope you make a full recovery very quickly.

So easy to get caught out when systems, technology changes and there are unintentional consequences in different situations

At least you are here to tell the story, PPE last line of defence did its job by the sound of it, trainers and shorts would have been a disaster, how many of us on here use full PPE at work then go home and just get on with DIY without PPE

Could have been worse if it hit the RS

Take it easy for a few days, hope the team don’t wind you up when you get back

again thanks for sharing

May the Ford be with you

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

@yorkirs

Oh, its started already. Just been sent a pic of a one legged bass player in a wheel chair.

I’m a tough old bastard and have broad shoulders, so can take the crap. Rioja working a treat though 🙂

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Kin Ell!

Hope you’ll be ok.

Is there no video?, That would go viral on You Tube!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Am I right in thinking something like this wouldn’t happen with a manual transmission. Pleased you are relatively uninjured.

Coastliner

Sennaboy
    Participant

UK - England

Just proves you can’t beat a traditional handbrake one up for FMC

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Wouldn’t have happened with manual transmission Coast.

DaveRS3, it will be on cctv, looking forward to viewing the event. Although under MOT regs it is ‘unacceptable’ to record a MOT test.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

wow thats a bad one, you dodged a bullet there i think, could have been real bad. I remember at Fiats back in about ’82 anothe apprentice steve neil got in an automatic Strada 75cl automatic that was on a 4 poster, I think some work was being done to the inhibitor switch or selector linkage on the gearbox or something, but he started it up on full choke and it shot straight off the 4 poster like a rocket, ( it started in gear!)across about 30 ft of workshop floor and straight onto the opposite 4 poster which had a car on 4 axle stands on it, and still at floor level, it completely knocked that car off the stands and nearly off the ramp. Poor steve was as white as a ghost ! Dangerous places workshops!!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Hope your ok elliot a very close shave,Many years ago one of our fitters went round the back of a bus to see why the throttle wasnt working properly,proceeded to work the throttle by hand,throttle jammed open trapping his hand and dragged him along for 35ft untill bus hit another pit ,poor sod had left it in gear ,but he also had a stutter so all we heard was STTTTTTOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPP.those were the days.

Former RS Edition owner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Andy thats bad ! but funny now !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Wish we had smartphones in the 80s would have been hilarious.

Former RS Edition owner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I’m glad we didn’t !! its sad enough watching everyone with bent necks looking brainlessly at their screens 24/7  having to do that now from age 13 or whatever would do me in, I didn’t get a phone until about 1990 age 27, and that seems long enough ! We had more fun without the poxy things, on a night out you would tell your mates where you were going and you would meet up, or ring a new bird from the local phone box so your parents wouldnt listen in !now its all about sharing it on every bit of sosh media and then when you do get to a pub, spend all night reading what everyone else is doing or making sure they are not having a better time, oh and selfie yourself with a beer or a dinner as if thats really a big thing ! sad world now!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Mr Brown (the boss) phoned me earlier to check how I was. Today I feel as if I’ve done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. It is on cctv and he said it was horrendous to watch. Take as much time as I want on full pay, have a hot bath and a skinfull of ale. Done the bath and ale bit already. Take care guys, it’s a dangerous world out there.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Near Miss Today!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!