New Car- MK3 Focus RS or MK4 Focus ST?

Home Forums General Non RS Chat New Car- MK3 Focus RS or MK4 Focus ST?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hyrule
    Participant

UK - England

Hi

Hopefully this is the right section for a random question like this, so many forum options ;). Just after some opinions really.

I’m currently driving a 2009 2-litre MK2.5 Focus Zetec S and looking to move into the fast ford segment. I’m in a position where I can purchase a car outright, and budgeted around £30k.

My old boss had an MK3 Focus RS, which I very much liked the look and sound of. But I’ve also been following the updates about the upcoming MK4 Focus ST due out June 2019. The pricing was recently revealed for the ST with the petrol version priced at £32k. Whereas a used RS ranges between £26k – £30k.

I’m leaning more towards the RS personally on looks, the 4wd and bhp, but I’d like to ask the forum, which would you choose and why?

Thanks

W

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

RS all day long. The ST will be a mainstream Ford and will drop in value fast compared to the already desirable in the 2nd hand market RS. Plus the awd, styling and RS bits make it special, not to mention the 345bhp.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Its a no brainer RS all day long, however asking that question on here is a forgone conclusion. If you do go for the ST you will regret it, and think what you could have had.

Coastliner

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

RS every time ?

Honorary Member

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

The ST has transmission that will deliver a cotton wool feel to the engine compared to the all wheel drive of the RS.  Both are 2.3, however, I have both the older ST, and an RS, and at “higher speeds especially” it is not night and day and the RS feels like it is being restricted, as did my old Sierra 4*4, felt like a slug compared to a 2.9 granada 12 Valve once the lock up clutch had kicked in, felt quicker than the Sierra.

with the new car at 320 foot pounds I believe?  If you are motorway munching, it might be better for that, with the RS round town and B roads, it’s an absolute no brainer, the feel of it etc.

kevlcfc
    Participant

UK - England

RS all day long. If you went for the ST i’m sure you will love it, but then at some point an RS will drive past and you think if only.

That’s what I did anyway as I had and ST estate before the RS, mainly because of kids and dogs.

Hyrule
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the responses. I realise everyone here probably owns an RS so will eschew towards that but good to get opinions. 🙂

I think I will arrange a test drive for both and make my decision based on that. Any recommendations on things to look out for/consider with an RS when buying 2nd hand. I’m mindful of security being a high value and limited supply car. Is the ghost immobiliser a highly recommended option?

Thanks

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Yes Ghost System is a must IMO but only you know where you live and drive mostly, and would know the risk if you didn’t have it. Obviously full service history, HG done

Honorary Member

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

RS  all day long ??

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Only one choice the RS. ??

faber
    Participant

France

RS RS RS RS YES

Gel DMB / Pieces carbone AWMODS / Frein a main carbone RS / Bouton carboneRS / Peinture noir mat pavillon + coques rétroviseur + clignotant séquentielle black / Feu arrières séquentielle black / Antenne courte sparco / Protection ceinture RS / Roue forgées avec sigle RS / Pneus Michelin pilot sport 4s / Bandeau Ford Performance / Garniture carbVone tableau de bord / Vérins de capot moteur / Ligne Scorpion embout inox / Système télécommande de soupape JPperformance / Kit induction Mountun / Kit secondaire Mountune / Durite noire Moutune / Filtre Moutune v2 / Chambre d’insonorisation Moutune / Valve Mountune / Kit durites d’échangeur Mishomoto / Plaquettes freins Ferodo 2500 / Garde de boue Mountune / Stage2 BRPerformance 397 cv et 617 couple / Bougies NGK Iridium / Bras de changement de vitesse Mountune / Vase d’expansion Mishimoto noir /plaque denumérotation n°16417/lampe d’eau couleur blanche RS/plaque feu de frein arrière Ford performance/échangeur Mishimoto +durite Silicon Mishimoto/plaque Ford Performance immatriculation

ebgb
    Participant

UK - England

I’d go for the RS! I love my RS, it brings a smile to my face every time I get in … not sure how many ST owners can say that?

If you do buy one, make sure it’s had the head gasket recall done & go for a 17 or 18 plate as I think they’re slightly cheaper on road tax. I’d highly recommend getting one with the shell Recaro seats if possible. If I was buying again I’d maybe go for an Edition … but I guess it depends on budget & colour preference.

Magnetic RS, just Sunroof & door protectors away from top spec. Factory standard for now but looking to upgrade to Mountune FPM375 & other mods once the recall has been done

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

I’m sure the ST will be a very nice car, with probably a better interior but as others have said if an RS passes you I think you will realise you made a mistake.

An RS for me has always been a special car and always dreamed of owning one when I 1st saw the mk1 so if your in a position to own one outright it’s a no brainer

440bhp

443lbft

Hyrule
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully I’ll be joining the RS club in the next few months 🙂

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Which colour would you choose? Or are you not bothered!

Honorary Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to New Car- MK3 Focus RS or MK4 Focus ST?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!