New Engine Possibillities

Home Forums Performance Engine New Engine Possibillities

• This topic has 81 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Lucky_.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • Author

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

So to summarise your engine was forged and upgraded by Mountune and one of their upgraded parts has failed for some reason?

Coastliner

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

I’d get the bits sent back to Mahle for analysis and ask for a replacement set FOC.   Doesn’t inspire confidence in Forged pistons unless it was a manufacturing fault.   Either way you look to have been lucky,  an OEM piston would have broken up, bent a rod and probably gone through the block.

It maybe a smart move to ditch the Mountune map to one more commonly used and “reliable” …………..     If that wasn’t a faulty piston there has to be some serious detention or LSPI issues going on to cause that surely?

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

So Mountune has no skin in this game at all? They forged the engine, the part failed and now it is up to the owner of the vehicle to find better parts? Jeez.

Nitrous Blue Dyno Tuned @ 600 NM | Wagner Tuning – Competition IC | REVO Carbon CAI 

HJS 200 Cell Sportkat Remus Cat-back | SS Black Chrome Tailpipes

Fischer-Hydraulik SS Brake Lines | Endless RF 650 Brake Fluid | Endless ME20 Pads F+R (squeak king)

Rotors: TSP XG150 – DBA 5000 T3 SLOT | DBA 4000 T3 SLOT | Suspension: MR – KW Clubsport 2 way with H&R ARB F+R

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

All upgraded by the previous owner so the next owner doesn’t get any warranty etc.. I’ve spoken to mountune couple years back when I was questioning the head gasket.

I’ve emailed mahle but I can’t wait to dispute a manufacturing fault or anything. Will take too long and I really don’t want to wait any longer.  3 weeks without the car has been a struggle.

Will look to get new forged pistons. Waiting on confirmation that the rest of the engine is fine.

Is there any other protection for pistons to help prevent something like this happening again?

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Anyone used wiseco pistons?  Are they any better than mahles ones or just the same?

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

Lucky read my build thread exactly the same happend to my engine I was the first person to run M400x  in fact my forged engine failed twice on that map it’s shite ,

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Nateodog post leads nicely into what I was going to post early,   people see the piston and think it’s the cause of the failure.  Unless it had a manufacturing fault it’s high unlikely.   This is a classic internet scenario where people see the effect of something and call it the cause.   TBH it gets my goat as an engineer  the lack or root cause analysis and “cause and effect” understanding…..  not having a go at anyone other than “internet fake news”

So I’d say there was nothing wrong with the piston, it was the victim of something else happening earlier, now Nate’ has said he had 2 with that map fail, plus this one, all points to the cause being a bad map, not a piston.   Which is what BDA and few of us were suspecting on seeing the pictures.

So which ever pistons you prefer and ditch the crap map (MSD or Sabre seem to be be top favourites).    I’ve gone for some Wossner pistons in my planned build.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@nateodog

My car must of been done not long after yours, I’m sure it was towards the end of 2018…Probably why the guy sold it 🤷🏽‍♂️😂.

I always thought about getting a few other parts and a sabre stage 2 map.

I contacted sabre and they suggested Manley pistons. While the garage my car is at suggest wiseco as they use them in the evos they build, especially one with 700bhp they done recently.

I’ve read a few opinions on pistons and it’s really 4032 vs 2618 material/grade. Everyone’s including mahles own ones are 2618 and mountune mahle are 4032 (from what I can see online when trying to find ones to buy). From what I’ve read is the 4032 are best for road cars. The wiseco and Manley are 2618.

I would prefer to get mountune mahle ones and then get down to sabre for a proper map but no stock as usual at mountune 😞

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

This is what mahle sent me when I contacted them directly about the piston and sent the pic.

“What I can see in the photo, is a mechanical overload of the piston. Did you make chip tuning or other modification at the engine to increase power?

Even if it is forged piston, I would recommend to find a stronger piston.

http://www.wahl-spezialkolben.de

Company Wahl in Germany are manufacturing pistons for classic cars and for tuned engines. I would advice to talk to them, if they can produce individual pistons for your application, which can stand higher load.

They are using forged raw material from MAHLE. You should send a sample of your piston and also the damaged part to make needed modifications

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

There’s a pdf they sent as well but can’t upload it here so it’s in the other forum if you’re interested in reading it. Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.focusrsoc.com/threads/engine-noise.369877/

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@nateodog

Are you still running the mountune mahle pistons?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Mountune UK pistons have had a specification change and also their rods. The earlier rods and pistons where I think 23mm on the pin and the new ones are the same spec as Mountune USA 22.5mm.

So it’s well worth a phone call to Mountune to see if the earlier rods and pistons (prior 2021) are compatible with the newer pistons and rods

Current Features:

Co-developed by mountune Racing
    Manufactured by MAHLE Motorsport
    22.5mm Gudgeon pin

Forged from 4032 grade aluminium alloy for optimum strength

CNC machined piston crown and pin bores

MAHLE Grafal anti-friction coating on skirt to reduce drag, scuffing, cylinder bore wear and noise

Previous Features

The mountune Forged Piston Set for mk3 Focus RS EcoBoost has been designed in-house by mountune Racing as a high-performance upgrade for those wanting the ultimate piston for reliable, high-power builds.

Featuring an enlarged 23mm gudgeon pin to address a known area of weakness, the mountune piston also inherits many of the design features that have been developed and proven in our highest performing racing engines.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@white-rs2

Might have to phone them because they don’t like replying to emails that aren’t about sales 😂.

J-w-racing said the USA ones are similar however they are 2618 vs mountune UK 4032. They said it would take 2 weeks to get here if I ordered the USA ones.

I wonder why USA and UK mountune use different grades of pistons

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

Just my 2p worth. You chosen the garage you want to use why not let them make the decision what to use.  Surely be some kind of “warranty” and easy to point to customer provided parts/requests.

when mine went (only hg) I went for garage reputation/skill set/recommendations and left them to it. Other than the invoice I don’t really know all the parts used and whether best or not but if I have an issue like you have now it’s easy to point finger / bill back to the garage but after nearly 20k of miles running better than ever.

i know of cause it’s not cheap and saving money supplying parts etc so pros and cons.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The current Mountune UK are now the same spec as the USA, previously they where different.

The concern is the current rods are to small, I guess for the larger pin

Original part number:

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to New Engine Possibillities. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!