New here

Home Forums General Newbie New here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Chrisbuer
    Participant

UK - England

Hi.

I’m new here and was trying to post some updates of my car, but it doesn’t seem to let me. Is there a minimum amount of posts you have to make first?

Cheers,

Chris.

Chrisbuer
    Participant

UK - England

I’ll try this…

Hi, I’m new here and thought I’d make a post about my RS. I’ve been a member for a while but never actually got around to posting….I guess I’ve just been too busy enjoying my car.

Anyway, I’ve owned the car from new and collected it in June last year and haven’t stopped smiling. The car has had a few mods on it and there may be more to come soon, but for the moment it’s set up perfectly. Anyway here’s some progress photos below with a short description…

Before the car arrived, I started collecting a few different bits for it. These included wheels, gel badges, new tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 4s) and shorter number plates. My wife joked and said that I had enough spare parts in the garage to build the car!

New wheels and tyres

Quaife diff

Latheworks gear knob

…and a few other bits

Anyway the car finally turned up and the dealer fitted the wheels straight away. I took away the stock wheels and kept those for winter use (more on that later)

Collection day

Straight home for a wash and fitting of a few bits:

I then ran the car in and as soon as I hit 1000 miles, it was taken to Mountune for the M380 kit.

Other parts fitted included the short shifter, roll restrictor, intercooler and Mountune springs.

This upgrade was good, but I always wanted the M400, so that followed as soon as it was available. The car then went to the detailers and had the full Gtechniq treatment. I’ve never seen it cleaner!

I also had the wheel re-trimmed through Royal Steering Wheels which came out really well:

Then over the winter, the snow hit, so I powder-coated my stock wheels and stuck some Michelin Pilot Alpins on them….WOW! What a lot of fun, especially with drift mode in the snow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMrmeujJsOI

Recently, the only other changes I’ve made have been to fit LED rear lights, remove the Mountune logo from my intercooler and fit carbon effect gel badges instead of yellow. I quite like the toned down look.

Also, the Gtechniq is holding up well!

My next plans are the DSC controller, some fast road pads and braided hoses!

Cheers,

Chris.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Hi and welcome Chris,  nice pics thanks for sharing

Honorary Member

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Very nice, I just fitted those light this evening  😀

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Very nice Chris! Great spec so far

Ian Barker
    Participant

United Kingdom

Welcome Chris nice mods

Fully forged running M400x

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

That paint really pops in the sunshine, nice car and mods

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Chrisbuer
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks all for the warm welcome! This looks like a fun forum 🙂

@white-rs2

I’ve been reading your post about the DSC controller with interest as it’s a mod I want to add. I understand that you’re on your second RS now and your current red edition will have the Quaife diff fitted. How much of a impact do you think the controller has had? Or do you think the diff has had a bigger impact?

A friend of mine is getting his DSC controller soon and is going to let me have a drive of it. However I’m pretty sure I’m going to go for one. I can’t say that I’ve found the car lacking in grip at all with the diff and Mountune springs now fitted, however it seems this controller does make a big difference from what people say!

Cheers.

dan-2
    Participant

USA

I like this route you have taken.

I especially like your steering wheel, where did you get that done?

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

Jeez, you’ve been busy mate. Great photos and of course you’ve picked the best colour.

Question, what’s the advantages (apart from the small BHP increase) of the 380 Mountune upgrade as opposed to the 375?

Chrisbuer
    Participant

UK - England

@dan-2

The steering wheel was done through Royal Steering Wheels (www.royalsteeringwheels.com) and I’d highly recommend them!

@v8griff

I don’t know the main differences between the 375 and 380 if I’m honest. I’ve never driven the 375, so I couldn’t comment. The only reason I went for the 380 was because I always intended on going for the next stage.

The M400 (which I currently have) is much quicker than the stock car and really does boost hard! I’d be interested in further tweaks but I think I may need to get the engine forged which obviously adds to the costs. However, I’ll see what Mountune bring out next and may go for it…..we’ll see 🙂

paul-m
    Participant

UK - England

Lovely car Chris.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@Chrisbuer

The controller just adds to it.

My first Focus Mk3 RS (Magnetic Grey) was Quaife diff equipped and had NO controller that handle sublimely well. Traction etc was superb, dug into the corners and pulled you right out the other side. This also had +15mm spacers, H&R Front and Rear ARB’s and H&R -20mm springs

My second Focus Mk3 RS (Red) is also Quaife diff equipped and has the DSC controller fitted. It does all the above but at a greater speed, You can enter the corner faster and exit faster, It takes away most of the braking dive and body roll and drives a lot flatter on the bendy bits, Suspension is still factory standard.

So investing in the controller has negated the need to fit the H&R stuff back on, unless I want the lowered look which does look pretty cool.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@V8Griff

The main difference is the M380 kit gets a hand held controller as apposed to the FPM375 kit, of fit and forget.

mTune M380 Features (From Mountune web site)

ECU performance calibration transfer. Supplied complete with five user-interchangeable calibrations

1/ M380 calibration
    2/ M380 with optimised Mountune axle-back exhaust (with randomised pops)
    3/ Anti-theft mode
    4/ OE calibration (SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED THEN UPDATED AT A FORD DEALER – this will unpaired the mTune form your vehicle, rendering it unusable)

UPDATED: DYNO MODE – Enable / Disable RDU with the push of a button for easy dyno operation and when only 2WD dyno is available.

In-field calibration updates
    0-60 times
    ¼ mile times
    Monitor 6 OBD channels
    Adjustable shift light
    Full data logging
    DTC reading / clearing
    Soft touch rear case
    LCD screen
    Ambient light sensor

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

Chrisbuer
    Participant

UK - England

@white-rs2

Thanks, this is very useful!

Can I ask one final (and may stupid question) but what’s the difference between just sticking the car into the Track mode suspension and the DSC controller? My car won’t roll or pitch much in Track mode as it’s so much stiffer, although it’s quite bumpy and hard.

Am I right in thinking that the DSC adjusts the suspension in each corner dynamically? In other words, you enter a right hand bend and it firms up the left side of the car to keep the car flatter, whereas the stock system is just firm all over?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to New here. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!