New owner

Home Forums General Newbie New owner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Alex Palmer
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all.

Recently purchased a 2018 Ford Focus RS Edition with FMP375 and a V3 cat-back exhaust. Have to say I am loving the car after a few days, although the torque steer is rather violent at times. Very good fun but a bit sketchy tbh.

The front tyres are fairly low and not much above the tread wear indicators. I am thinking about replacing the front tyres with Michelins ps4s.

Can I please ask whether it is okay to replace just the front tyres as the rear tyres seem a lot better. Do you think this will help with the steering under heavy acceleration?

Many thanks

Alex

Somerset, UK

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@Alex, hi and welcome congratulations enjoy and happy RS’ing. The subject of tyres has been a matter of discussion on here for many years. Personally I’d would replace the fronts with what make you have on the back. The RS is very tyre pressure sensitive make sure that Ford recommended pressures are used.

Honorary Member

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by bobcat.

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum & congratulations on the car , as for tyres changing front only in my opinion would help with the torque steer,( as you state worn )ps5 are I think the preferred choice of many now , but being a 4 wheel drive I would change all 4 , only in my opinion , good luck with the car & plenty pics when you have a chance.👍👍👍

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome to the forum @Alex

I would put the rears on the front as a temporary measure and see if there is any improvement in the torque steer. I had my Pull Drift Compensation (PDC) turned off  by the garage soon after getting mine in 2017 and the situation improved. The other noticeable improvement was at speed on the motorway with the car not drifting in the lanes. Only downside is the steering is slightly heavier.

Hope you fix the problem soon, all the best Red

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

IMO

the car will sort out uneven Tyres as it’s so clever.
    why not try swopping front with rear to see the effect of more tread on the front.

pressures it’s good to experiment.
    41/38 is an absolute max.
    low 30’s is safe I find.

before someone bangs on about safety please check what Nanking recommends if you use their semi slick road legal Tyres.

chrisch
    Participant

UK - England

Yes new tyres will significantly help the torque steer upon heavy acceleration – it’s a know fix for the ‘veering steering’.

The other option is to release the accelerator!

If the rears have good tread, I’d just replace the fronts TBH.

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome along. I have previously replaced the 2 rears and the two fronts at different times I did however go for the same brand to even things up.

What brand of tyres do you currently have on the front?

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

Alex Palmer
    Participant

UK - England

Hi

Thank you for the welcome and replies so far.

I have Michelin pilot super sports on the car. Probably original as only 8000 miles on the clock.

Many thanks

Alex

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Pilot sport 4s are a world away from the original pilot sports.

Cup 2s for me were great in the dry, scary in the wet. Let us know how you get on

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

The SuperSport is a very good tire but will react more violently than the P4S.
    The latter has a softer compound and will absorb road deformities, whereas the SuperSport will make the car veer violently on acceleration.
    I did not disable pull drift compensation on my car and hold on to dear life whenever I push it to the limit.
    Someone once said if you aren’t afraid for your life when you drive your car then you are driving the wrong one :).

Nitrous Blue Dyno Tuned @ 600 NM | Wagner Tuning – Competition IC | REVO Carbon CAI 

HJS 200 Cell Sportkat Remus Cat-back | SS Black Chrome Tailpipes

Fischer-Hydraulik SS Brake Lines | Endless RF 650 Brake Fluid | Endless ME20 Pads F+R (squeak king)

Rotors: TSP XG150 – DBA 5000 T3 SLOT | DBA 4000 T3 SLOT | Suspension: MR – KW Clubsport 2 way with H&R ARB F+R

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome @Alex

its interesting reading this and I have not experienced any torque steer at all and I really do boot it! I don’t know if it’s because I drove a Mk2 RS and then a Mk3 ST and both were very, very scary with the amount of torque steer that I feel this isn’t bad at all, I certainly don’t have to grip the wheel harder and floor it in all gears and it’s as straight as an arrow, I don’t have the remap so maybe that plays a big part, in fact I bet it does! For ref I have currently 5mm all round and super sports.. also lowered.

Anyway be good to know how you get on and as Pauly Paul says send pics when you can! 😬👍🏻

Eibach Pumaspeed springs UK  – Mountune full Induction – delete valve plug – carbon knob – JCR seat lowering kit set @ 39mm – black nuts! Engine forged by FJRS – TCR front splitter V2 and side skirts – RS rallyflapz – Car serviced/maintained by GS Motorsport

Alex Palmer
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks guys for the replies. I will let you know how I get on. Pics to follow on weekend, after cleaning.  Alex

kaxe
    Participant

UK - England

Agreed with above, I replaced all 4 tyres with PS4 and the car was straight as an arrow pressing on after that! 🙂

wheely
    Participant

UK - England

Newish PS4 S on mine and veers but worse when road is tramlined.  Getting the PDC turned off Monday

Alex Palmer
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you for the replies to the veering. I think I am just going to embrace it for now and wait a bit as there is more tread on the tyres than originally thought. Pics as promised. <span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”></span>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to New owner. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!