NEW REAR BRAKES!!

Home Forums Performance Brakes NEW REAR BRAKES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Evening all!! So I’ve just broke through 25,000 miles in my RS. I bought it brand new in April 2017 so she’s 2 years old. As most of youz know I work Offshore half the year so 24 months of ownership means I’ve only been with her for 12 months. 25K in 12 months ain’t bad and I’ve LOVED every single mile of it!! ??.

Anyhoo, my rear pads are F**KED, I’ll be changing them out on Friday and I’ll take a couple of pics, think I’ve got every last penny out the pads!! Haha!! The rear Discs aren’t too bad but I’ve decided to replace the rear Discs and Pads. After much reading and deliberation I’ve decided to go for the EBC blind drilled and grooved Discs and the EBC Yellowstuff Pads for fast road and light track, which should suit me perfect. I have never actually tracked the car but everyday up here is like a track day for me!!

I’m gonna fit these on Friday morning and shall take a couple of pics and report back as to how I think they are. I’ll be picking up my youngest son on Friday afternoon which is a 180 mile round trip and taking him back to his Mum’s on the Sunday, another 180 miles so that’ll bed them in for sure. The Discs were £120 which is about £20 more per disc than OE, and the pads were £70, not sure how much OE pads are. I’ll see how these go, I’ve heard good things about EBC, so if I’m happy I’ll be doing the same to the front when they need replacing!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Sounds good Marc. I’m on 19k plus and while the discs are grotty, pads are 2/3rds worn. Ford wanted £800 to replace the lot.

I will of course be replacing the brakes myself so will be interested in your review of the EBC kit.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

marc, I’ve got yellows in the front of my BDA, they’re great, you may find that they bite so hard initially that you find the rear could be braking harder than the front! You may need to stick some in the front asap so you get the balance right again ! I think the yellows I put in hard a thin top surface which was like emery cloth to kind of resurface the discs initially, that made them really dig in at first !!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

“had a thin top surface layer” bloody phone

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo Used EBC disks and pads all round on my Cosworth for over 120k,  very impressed. No issues at all, good choice. Look forward to your update in a few thousand miles.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@elliot

I’ll post my first impressions tomorrow night, I’ll probably have done about 200 miles by then.

@71-bda

Cheers for that, I fully intend to do the front, but I was gonna leave it til they were needing done. I’m also wanting to see what like these discs are for noise, if they’re all good I’ll get the same on the front!!

@red-leader

That’s good to hear mate!! Very reasonably priced too. I’ll post some feedback with initial thoughts tomorrow night.

There’s 3 Disc styles available for front and rear….

I’ll probably get the same on the front with Yellowstuff Pads again if I’m happy with the rears!! The only downside may be excessive dust but I’ll just need to stay on top of that especially as I’m hoping to get new wheels!! ??.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

marc. if anything I found/find the yellows to be low dust, so could be a benefit there too innit

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

brembo – Hi Marc, should be interesting this, I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on these.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Evening all!! I Fitted my new rear brakes this morning, definitely got my money’s worth out the original pads…

And they were starting to crack along the middle….

Anyway, the job went well, the pistons in the rear calipers pushed back no bother at all and the carriers cleaned up good with a file. The only issue was the black staining on the callipers which I tried to remove with WD40 but had no success. I ended up attacking them with a wire brush which to my amazement removed the black staining while leaving the blue paint intact!! ??.

Rear Caliper Bolts are a 7mm Allen Key. Rear Carrier Bolts are an E12 Female Torx as pictured below….

Anyhoo, Discs and Pads fitted and Wheel Spacers back on….

The black protective coating came off after a quick road test….

I think they look sound..!! ??.

I then carried out a 180 mile round trip to pick up my youngest son and the brakes are perfect…. No noise whatsoever and the pedal feels better than it did before. I’ll definitely be getting the same ones ordered for the front!! ????????.

Cheers, Marc.

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

brembo – Evening  Marc, glad the fit went well, the discs definitely look the job, I look forward to reading how they perform over the coming miles.

If you don’t mind mate, it’s question time, could I ask what you torqued the Caliper/Carrier bolts up to, or did you go by experience?

Also, have you a rough idea when you’ll be due to fit a matching front setup?

Thanks for posting up with the photo’s mate, I like reading this kind of stuff.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

they do actually look quite cool Marc ! all you need now is some FLAPS !! it looks naked without them ! ( and with the mileage you do and the state you get your car in !! ha ha ah )

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@overrev

Evening mate!! That’s me now done 220 miles since fitting the brakes this morning and I’d say that they’re proper bedded in now. I can’t fault them at all and I think they look really nice. I always thought that inside that big 19” Forged Alloy the standard rear disc looked kinda lost, if you know what I mean? That’s why I wanted something different and I’m very happy with it. Once I get the Fronts done I think I’ll feel a real benefit from the brakes overall, but I can definitely feel a slight improvement with just the rears done.

As for fitting the fronts, I’m off to Amsterdam next week for a wee break so I’ll see how the funds are when I get home regarding ordering the fronts, the front discs are £241 and front pads are £164, so about £400, which I think is very reasonable. I’m keen to get them done now after being well impressed with the rears.

As for torque values of the bolts….. I’ve just tightened them up to what I feel is right. I’ve changed 100’s of sets of brakes over the years so I guess, like you said, it’s just down to experience mate!! ??.

@71-bda

I have to agree with you mate, they do look quite cool!! ?. Now, remind me again, which are the Flaps that come right up to the thingy?? Lol!! I can never remember which ones are which!! ??.

Cheers, Marc.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

rallyflapz ! Mine are the 4mm pvc ones. Perfect. I dont see the point of paying twice the amount for 3mm kaylan ones. Got mine from Kenny here in the shop.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Pleased @Brembo all went well, they look the business and work well. You can’t ask for more. Thanks for the update.

craig0625
    Participant

UK - England

Hello all does anyone have a part number for the rear caliper carrier bolt the E12 Female Torx mention above Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to NEW REAR BRAKES!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!