Newbie looking for advice.

Home Forums General Newbie Newbie looking for advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Benji91
    Participant

UK - Wales

Hi all, I’m new to the rs world so forgive my poor terminology on the car. I own a 17 plate mk3 rs . The car is standard apart from a mountune 375 kit installed.  I am looking for a little more excitement from the car, any suggestions on mods or tunes that are compatible with what I have already? Also how is everyone finding the standard ride quality? Any suggestions on springs to get a little more comfort? Any help would be appreciated.

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome to the forum @Ben

I have a completely standard RS so can’t offer a lot of help. I would suggest some additional security devices, I have several on mine for peace of mind when I park it.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@ben, hi and welcome 👍

Honorary Member

Benji91
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thank you for the quick response everyone. What kind of security would you recommend?

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Ben,

Like red leader says, security is always a consideration. A lot on here will have 3rd party immobilizers, trackers plus disclock and Faraday bags for keys. I have a Ghost system and it gives me great peace of mind.

In regard to upgrades I’m sure many will suggest various manufacturers. Popular ones seem to MSD and Dreamscience. But, to get the most from these you may well need to upgrade your hardware too.

I stuck with Mountune FPM375 as it was enough for me and it’s Ford warranty approved. When I had my FPM 375 done at Mountune HQ, their guys were telling me that once you get to >400HP, they strongly suggest forging of the engine. I know many on here are past that on original engine configurations so that disproves that to some degree but I know some Mountune 400HP cars with STD engines let go as they admitted to it.

As for ride quality, a few have fitted DSC Modules. I’m sure 9 Designs on here can help you with that.

NB FPM375

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by stu-c.

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Hi Ben & welcome , the usual obviously applies full steering lock, garage if (applicable) wheel clamp, Argos do a good one £40 deterrent if any thing . It’s yellow and red fully covered in rubber coating, so will not mark alloys , and get a ghost alarm , only a suggestion, there will be others on this forum with more robust suggestion, it all about preferences, good look .

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome Ben. The majority of thefts from reports have been relay thefts therefore minimum no brainer cheap security is a Faraday key pouch. I use a Defender key pouch, keep one indoors and one in the car. £6 ish on EBay, oh and also she’s locked up in my garage when not in use! the RS not the missus.
    Enjoy your RS.

Benji91
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks guys, great advice. Really quick too. Any specific manufacturer for a ghost alarm? Will order that defender key soon thank you.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Hi Ben if your local to me your welcome to drive mine, has a few bits added.. 😬 I can do you a list then 🤣 (when we can)… Security wise lock or fit a Dummy OBD, and disc lock min… I was going for the ghost system, but round here if they really want it they will pick it up (with high vis, middle of the day & with repo papers)… But majority of thefts come from OBD start.

Disappointing theres no reduction in insurance of the ghost or the Pandora elite ( might still go with the pandora, as you can remote start from the fob to warm up)

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Hi and welcome, security first and get used to the car then make you decisions to modify.

Coastliner

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

is your car kept outside or in a garage? Makes a difference to the approach.

as for tuning, If you are unsure how far you want to go, I normally suggest dreamscience from a cost effective stance point. There are better tunes out there (i havent tried them) but with DS you can trade up and resell the handset and a nominal loss. Also, you can load up the various maps without the hardware (short term trial) and see if you find the increase worth the potential expenditure.

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@GM

Security wise lock or fit a Dummy OBD………..… majority of thefts come from OBD start.

Someone on the facebook group was saying the same thing – but i have not heard of anyone who has had one stolen this way??? Signal relay yes – jacking OBD port via laptop and blank key like a mk2, no???

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@grunty-motor its the same as the Mk2 not the more popular now but still done. Once the car window is broken and door open it take 40 ish seconds to stop the alarm and start the car via the OBD. More popular with the ST’s Also, but still can be done on the RS, Transit and so on…

The more current is used now to open the doors also… Via relay method. But like me if you have keyless off you would have to force access and then start with the OBD. You don’t need a blank key just a laptop… The tech available to shit heads now is quite good, was shown where both my trackers were on my car in seconds. And why it is so easy to access this equipment baffles me??

Brentacre changed their tune this year, and i had to show how my OBD was relocated or locked. There has been a massive number of OBD theft cars in the Swansea area where they are based, so this might be the reason for the change by them.

Also about 7-8 months ago round here, someone stole a tool Used by the RAC to open Fords, mainly transits.. load of my mates had their tools wiped out in second at night.

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

I wasn’t aware that OBD theft was so popular again. I had a dummy on my Fiesta ST and it’s the same cable for the focus so simply swapped that over.

Just remember to tell Ford (and Mountune back then) that you have dummy, otherwise you can sit around for a while whilst they figure out why the laptop isn’t working (even though it’s on the job card “dummy OBD”.

Hiding the original OBD is a good idea too.

NB FPM375

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by stu-c.

Benji91
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks guys. Looking into security now. Loving this forum thing haha. Very useful. Yes I think I’m going to hold off on something drastic modification wise for now. Maybe save up and get an exhaust system or something. Give me that placebo power. Will look for a deeper sound.
    <!–more–>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Newbie looking for advice.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!