Newbie looking for the right RS

Home Forums General Newbie Newbie looking for the right RS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Jez zeR
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all,

I’m brand new to the forum, and would love a bit of expert owner advice.

I currently have a 2019 M140 but, whilst I do love it, I’ve found I miss a manual too much – therefore, I’ve turned my attention to the Mk3 RS.  I’m hoping I should be able to do pretty much a straight swap.

So, looking around, and with an approx 25k budget, I’m luckily quite spoilt for choice. So, my question is ‘Why is the general advice to stick to stock, unmodded cars?’.

Yes, I totally get it about retaining manufacturers warranty, and that Mountune offer the only guaranteed upgrade, but with a car of this magnitude and price, surely most mods should be relatively safe? unless pushing way past the 400 mark!?  I might be totally naive about this, so am happy to hear your thoughts.

I would love to say that I would buy a stock car and then upgrade myself, but every time I’ve said that in the past, it’s simply not happened – usually because I then struggle to justify spending out a load more money after just buying an expensive car. With that in mind, I’ve seen a car with a whole raft of lovely bits and bobs already attached.

http://www.cheshireperformance.co.uk/used/ford/focus-rs/23-ecoboost-5dr/manchester/lancashire/19716011

The previous owner must surely have ben an enthusiast and maybe a forum member, so I’m hoping you might know this car and can tell me whether you think it looks good for the asking price.  I realise the mileage is quite high for its age, but maybe I’d be willing to look past that for this kind of spec.

Any advice would be massively appreciated and, one way or another, I’m sure I’ll be joining you soon as an avid RS owner.

DunnyRS
    Participant

UK - England

Looks a good car, lots of money spent on it

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Hi and welcome 👍

Honorary Member

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Hi and welcome.

Coastliner

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

That car has had some money spent on it, be interesting to know why the previous owner has sold it.

Coastliner

Jez zeR
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the welcome. 🙂

i managed to get through to the dealer today and unfortunately this particular one has gone already.

Mind you, it looks like Cheshire Performance have grabbed almost every available Mk3 in the country. They’ve got a load of them!

Anyway, I’d still be interested to hear your opinions of buying stock vs modded (tastefully modded).

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

It’s a personal thing, I would prefer to make any changes myself, its the best way to know for sure whats been done. I would be looking for one with a few less miles. There are plenty about that have low miles.

Coastliner

gary1234
    Participant

UK - England

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Hi & welcome, as coastlines states , keep it stock you know what your getting, if any mods are  done , you known what’s been done and who by, and there lies the problem, other may not be too enthusiastic even though you know all’s be done to the very  highest workmanship. also future values are higher if stock &low mileage .good look in your hunt . 👍👍👍👍

Jez zeR
    Participant

UK - England

Great, thanks again for your opinions.

and thanks for the link Gary – just the spec I’m looking for! 👍

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

That link is a better car in my opinion half the mileage and with warranty approved engine upgrade.

Coastliner

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

I wouldn’t worry about looking for stock… I have 3 mates who sold their cars on as stock, highly modded and one was used for time trial events 😆… Condition and maintenance, And not just ford service as most like myself who follow a mental service schedule don’t use ford.

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I dont see the point in buying stock if you are deffo going to modify it. Buy something as near to what you want as you can and save yourself a lot of money and time.

As said, do as much research / checking as possible to make sure its a good one whether stock or modded

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

A note about the extended Ford warranty, whilst it is desirable (wish I went for it) you have to be careful looking at a modded car.

Despite what the car dealer claims “intact Ford warranty” with all the mods on this particular car I’d doubt Ford would honour the warranty if you tried to claim.

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

Basics start with low miles fdsh and spec you like 👍

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Newbie looking for the right RS. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!