Obligatory newbie RS issue

Home Forums General Newbie Obligatory newbie RS issue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

Hi guys,

I’ve been poking about this forum for a while to gain more knowledge about my newly purchased RS and whilst it has certainly helped with some purchases of mods and other very valuable info, I’m completely stuck with my current issue.

I’ll provide some context, I purchased the car and it was delivered to me from the dealer based in the midlands (I’m in south Wales). I’m aware that it has an upcoming service in a month or two (separate issue in finding the full service history but that’s for another time!) I also purchased M375 which has the Cobb accessport to map it to the car etc.

To my surprise, when I looked at the back of the pocket of the under steering wheel storage, the obd port was missing. I though no biggie, the previous owner may have used a relocation kit etc, but then couldn’t for the life of me find any trace of the obd port socket. Contacted the dealer, who had no idea and asked the previous owner who also had no idea, as during his ownership he hadn’t had to service it etc. Now, I have traced a connector that I first thought was from factory for like a heated steering wheel or something, so initially ruled it out completely, but I believe that a previous owner has modified the odb wiring to put into this connector (assume for added security) and removed the usual obd socket completely.

Having believed I’ve worked that out, I haven’t been supplied with any form of adapter etc for me to connect an actual obd socket for servicing or uploading my map etc. I’m in the process of having to create an adapter and have purchased a male connector that fits the one installed, but I’m at a loss with the wiring. I need to find out what wires are connected to each pin of the obd socket. Having found out some of them already, this leaves me with three wires that don’t quite match any schematics or info I’ve got.

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to provide any further info about what colour wire goes to each pin of the obd socket as I’m stuck in limbo at the moment.

I understand members may be sceptical about a new member posting with regards to obd wiring, for security. But I’ve added some photos & video to show you the connector I have and the colour wires going into it to evidence the issue I’ve got.

Any help is much appreciated! If you don’t feel comfortable in discussing this on the open forum, please PM me. Thanks in advance.

stripe
    Participant

UK - England

How weird… You’ve done far better than I would have up to now! Truthfully, I think you should be giving the dealer a serious earful over this. How can they not notice the OBD port is missing..?

As for finding the service history – download the FordPass app and it will be available through your vehicle screen on there.

Good luck, keep us updated.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@natew sure I’ve read that each year of car had different drawings somewhere? If you local to me your welcome to check mine for pin out / colours of wires… mines a 2017.

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

@stripe

It wasn’t purchased from a Ford dealer so I imagine they wouldn’t really check. I suppose they can also only go on the previous owner info which was no anymore helpful!

I can only see the first year service on the fordpass app, however I’ve got the invoice of the 3rd year service on paper, but that’s not on fordpass either. I’ve not got any info regarding 2nd service.

@GM

Yeah, I think you’re right as there seems to be differences in the colours used from what another user of focusrsoc had given me info on.

If that can be arranged, that’d be much appreciated. I’m in Cardiff but don’t mind a little drive out if needs be, especially now that we can with coming to the end with firebreak!

Cheers

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Just tried to take a pic of mine… forgetting about the lock box.. i do not have enough room to flip and take a photo ☹️

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks for trying, mine is a 66 plate so I would imagine they may have the same wiring.

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@natew

Shame you have found this issue so soon into ownership. As you say, the dealer probably wouldn’t have known/checked as they hadn’t gotten the car serviced etc.

Not a big fan of these obd port changes personally. Mines had a silly lock box thing and was tucked away when I got the car. It’s the first car I’ve owned that had that kind of thing done.

Are you looking to return it to stock OBD port? Maybe an auto electrician would be a good port of call?

Hopefully the rest of your ownership has been plain sailing.

Let us know how you get on either way. Good luck 👍

dundee
    Participant

UK - N.Ireland

@Natew Are you looking a picture from the rear. Can you not contact the original supplying dealer and get them to try and contact the first owner.Someone has a OBD reprogramming cable lying in a cupboard somewhere. how many owners did it have. If you Pm me your email address and i’ll take a pic

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

@NEILRS2K

Well to be honest, since I’ve had to go through this trouble in making an adapter for it, I will probably leave it as is and then use my adapter as and when I need to have access to it. That way I’ll have the benefit of some further security and peace of mind, obviously it’s not a complete solution but it will certainly slow anyone down.

Should I look to sell the vehicle, I’ll ensure that the new adapter is included for future owners.

@Dundee

If you could provide an image of yours that’d be great, but as previously mentioned they may have slightly different wire colours, but hopefully it’ll match up to what I’ve got. I’ll send over a PM to you shortly, thanks.

I just don’t know how this information hasn’t been transferred to new owners, as I feel it quite critical! But hey ho, spilled milk, just want to have it sorted asap.

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

@Dundee I am still unsure how to do a PM through here (if at all possible) my email address is nathjwilliams9@gmail.com

RS16NB
    Participant

United Kingdom

Hi first of all remove that plastic covering and check wiring loom to see if it has been altered , I looked at my 17 plate rs and sum colours are difference to yours, My OBD Port  with centre location lug  on Top row starting from L/H side looking at plug pins from front    1-yellow /red   3-white  6-purple/orange.    Bottom row starting from L/H side looking at plug pins from front     1-purple/grey  3-blue/white  4-black/grey  5-black/white  6- grey/orange  8-blue/grey hope this helps

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

@RS16NB

Cheers for providing that, I don’t think any wiring has been altered further down but I will check. This does still unfortunately leave me with the three wires which don’t have the same colour. The ones I haven’t got are yellow/red, purple/orange, purple/grey.

Any members that have a 16/66 plate able to provide the colours of theirs at all? As that’ll put this to bed either way I would have thought!

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@natew worth checking everywhere in the car all hidden places just might have some luck, to find the converter?

Also have you checked back the wiring from the new plug to see if the original OBD has not been hidden but extended down with the plug you have. Might be worth checking if you have any voltage on the pins in the new one you have, only thinking this as there is hardly any slack on the wiring of the original?

dundee
    Participant

UK - N.Ireland

@Natew. Did you get the pictures i sent. Mines a 2017

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

@Dundee

I can’t see anything has come through this end mate, no. Did you use the email address from the previous post?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Obligatory newbie RS issue. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!