Oil consumption

Home Forums Performance Engine Oil consumption

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

My car has now done just shy of 700 miles, checked the oil level yesterday and it was sitting just under halfway on the dipstick!!

Topped up with a litre of castrol edge 0w-40, reading old threads seems as though a litre of oil having only covered nearly 700 miles is a lot, I am running the car in with a mixture of driving and since the weekend increasing the revs to 5k from time to time

Do I have the start of a problem?, has anyone else experienced this amount of oil consumption

Matt23
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve got the same issue with mine. Done just almost 600 miles and the oil level is just over half way between min and max on the dipstick.

Surely these engines shouldn’t be burning that much oil so soon ?

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

Hi @Matt23, appreciate your response, does seem a little excessive, was hoping that as my car was a 2017.5 these engine issues were something that would of been resolved but clearly not, I checked mine when the oil was cold and had been parked up over night so was a bit shocked to say the least.

I think I would probably feel better if everyone was having the same issue however it seems it’s limited to a few, even those that have not been sympathetic to running there cars in have had little or no oil consumption?

Do I contact the dealer?

Matt23
    Participant

UK - England

Yeah mines a MY2017.5 as well. I was hoping this oil issue was confined to early model cars only, but It looks like it might affect more cars than I first thought : (

I’m going to give mine a little top up and get the first 1000 miles out the way and check it again. If it goes down again by much, I’ll then give the dealer a call and see what they suggest.

You could always give yours a call for a bit of piece of mind. As you say, this shouldn’t really happen on a car that’s been run in gently and not threshed to within an inch of its life. I’ve not had mine about 5k rpm yet either : (

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Hi guys, my car was built May ’16 and whilst I’m old school I did run it gently for the first 500, checked the oil and no usage. Check again at 1000, still no usage. At 1500 had oil and filter change. I’m not sure why some cars have an issue with oil usage, it’s worth checking with the garage for peace of mind.

Honorary Member

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

rsdom,

Mine is an early October 2016 build. Done 870 miles mainly in two long trips. Checked oil about three times and no oil usage at all up to now. Have laid it up during the winter. Just make sure you read the dipstick properly as sometimes its higher reading on one side than the other depending on how long you allow it to give a reading. A litre sounds an awful lot of oil usage to me.

Coastliner

rs-le
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all

had my RS for nearly 2 weeks , almost 600 miles, been up and down the rev range as well as having quite a few blasts hitting the limiter a couple of times in second gear,not lanched it yet, been checking my engine oil level regularly because I am curious if it has used any oil and as of today checking when cold on level ground as far as I can see, hasn’t lost any !!

I don’t thrash it everywhere but I do give it a daily workout up & down the rev range in all gears & I only use it in sport , my preference!!

so far no problems ?, she’s a dream to drive ?

rs-le
    Participant

UK - England

Forgot to add, I never go quick until the oil temperature is up to normal temp , usually 3-5 miles running .?

howsey
    Blocked

UK - Wales

I’ve done 3400 miles and my oil hasn’t moved. My coolant was low but only because it wasn’t filled properly (or maybe the difference between an air conditioned factory and the temp in Wales made it contract when I had it in December). Is this the first time you’ve checked the oil?

GrahamH
    Participant

United Kingdom

Ford have told me 1litre per 1000 miles is acceptable on RS engine . Anymore than this I would see your dealer

iain-t
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I had to top up with about 500ml at about 1000 miles and used a litre by the time I dropped it out at 6000miles/6mths. Not remotely concerned by this.

Being over gentle on a new engine can cause glazed bores and therefore higher oil consumption, but they could use more in the bedding in period and slow down later on. I think that’s what mine did.

I drove it in moderation for the first 1000miles and then have driven itĀ hard since.

Iain

Ric Law
    Participant

United Kingdom

What oil are you all using?

ianrs
    Participant

UK - England

Mine used a lot of oil but settled down after 2500 miles, the oil for the RS is castrol edge titanium fst 0/40

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Thanks for reminder better check mine again.

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Checked the oil level every week since I got it (4 weeks). Still on max. Been giving it more right foot since hitting 1000 miles.

Will keep checking every week šŸ™‚

Ā FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive SuspensionĀ 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Oil consumption. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!