Oil Consumption Fix

Home Forums Performance Engine Oil Consumption Fix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Has any one heard that Ford are putting an upgrade/part when you go for your first service to stop the amount of oil that the engines are burning?

Had 3 messages about it in the last few days.

ianrs
    Participant

UK - England

Haven’t heard anything kenny, interested to hear if anyone’s got info or if its gonna be a recall?

jb
    Participant

UK - England

Some cars have an issue with the oil not drainng back fast enough from the turbo at idle.Suspect the have a drain pipe upgrade.

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Interesting comment on our YouTube video:

“My mate who works at a ford garage told me he has 3 “stock” cars in for blown engines and turbo issues and 5 or 6 that had gone through a litre of oil in less than a month at his garage alone. He said that owners of the new MK3 need to be checking their oil every single week as some engine are going through oil is if it was nothing…something somewhere is not right with these Mk3 engines from what he was saying as far to many are coming into the workshop that are brand new with next to no miles on them..”

ianrs
    Participant

UK - England

That’s not good to hear about the rs engine, I had the mk3 st and was running about 290 and never had to touch the oil in between oil changes and it never used a drop, I bought my rs about 5 weeks ago with 1400 miles on it but ive only put 500 miles on it up to now and when I’m back from work I’m gonna get in touch with ford about this and get my car checked by them, question. I’m the second owner of the car I partexed my st, do I have to tell ford I’m the new owner or is the warranty just on the vin of the car?

dmcracing
    Participant

Ireland

What is the castrol engine oil spec for the RS?

MJP Custom 2.0ltr stroked  Forged megabuild on meth injection

Bruno RANCESi
    Participant

France

0 w 40

Louie Coppellotti
    Participant

UK - England

this?

Castrol EDGE Titanium FST 0W-40

or this

Castrol Edge 0W40 A3 B4 With Titanium FST Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

CheeRS

Louie

Revo STG2 Beta Map 433hp 450lb-ft 610.1 nm

?????? Game REVO

dmcracing
    Participant

Ireland

Cheers lads

MJP Custom 2.0ltr stroked  Forged megabuild on meth injection

evo6rss
    Participant

United Kingdom

I had a chat today with Jackson’s ford regarding oil consumption on the new RS, they are a Mountune Pro dealer so have more of an interest in these cars than most run of mill ford dealers. They are advising all owners to check the oil level weekly on the new RS as the engines seem to use oil. The question is why? Jacksons have not had any official message from Ford regarding this unlike the smoke at idle issue that has been diagnosed as faulty breather part/turbo issue by all accounts.

I have been checking my engine fairly religiously and have had to put 750ml oil into it over around 3500 miles.

So, my thinking on this issue, is that it could potentially be down to boost profile that is being employed on RS linked to the breather system capacity.

The Bosch ECU that is used on the RS is what is known as a ‘Torque Based’ ECU. That means it utilises an algorithm to determine the optimum boost, fuel, ignition timing required under any load (load in inferred from TPS/MAP) to deliver the requested torque from driver input (Pedal position).  In order to deliver the power/torque curve desired boost is increased above 5000 rpm. If you glance across when driving you will see the boost gauge move up from 1.2/1.3 bar in the midrange to 1.5/1.6 bar at the top of the rev range. This is done to maintain torque delivery by maintaining volumetric efficiency.

How does this effect oil consumption? Well increased boost means increased cylinder pressures. An increase in cylinder pressure can lead to an increase in blow by and therefore an increase in crank case pressure. All modern engines employ a sealed engine breather system and Ford certainly had a beef up the breather system on RS by increasing its capacity. It’s the job of breather system (often referred to as the PCV system) is to manage crank case pressure and feed the produced blow by gases back into the intake system to be burnt during combustion. However on of the issues of sealed breather system can be oil carry over and this is because the oil within the crankcase is whipped into fine mist by the rotation of the crankshaft. Therefore the oil mist needs to be separated from the blow by gases. On the RS this is done via an internal separator that sits behind the inlet plenum.

One possible solution to the problem of oil consumption is a product I have seen on the Mountune USA site, that is due to be released in the UK in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.mountuneusa.com/Breather-Plate-Ford-EcoBoost-2-0L-and-2-3L-p/2363-obp-aa.htm

This internally baffled oil separator gives a 100% increase in the baffle surface and should help. I am certainly going get one for my RS and will report back on if I see an improvement in oil consumption.

EVO6RSS..

Louie Coppellotti
    Participant

UK - England

Great overview bud!!

I have just purchased one of the Mishimoto Oil catch cans and getting this fitted tomorrow at SCC.

Albeit i have only done 1k miles since new and have checked oil 3 times and its not used any together with not having seen the smoking at idle issue, so will be interesting to see if the catch can prevents this problem from occurring and limits the oil consumption? Would the Mountune breather plate be necessary if a catch can is installed?

CheeRS

Nemesis

CheeRS

Louie

?????? Game REVO

evo6rss
    Participant

United Kingdom

Nemesis,

I am being told by Jacksons that the reports from owners regarding oil consumption are mixed and that how the car is being driven is having an effect. Those that drive the cars hard are reporting increased oil consumption. As you have only done 1000 miles or so, then I am assuming that you have run the car in relatively gently for these miles with a mix of load and rpm.. so it would stand to reason that oil consumption would low during this period.

Misimoto are good company, with solutions based on engineering principles rather than pseudo science.. It will work well as an external separator, my only concern would be that you are going to be losing the oil that is separated if I understood the video correctly as the drain pipe exits under the car.

The mountune item item is an internal baffle and as such you won’t lose any oil, it should drain back to the sum..

EVO6RSS..

Louie Coppellotti
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks Bud,

Your correct that i have run the car in as you state, hence no oil usage etc. With regards to the Catch can, yes the unused oil is filtered in to the can but due to the Mk3 RS running direct injection, installing a catch can will help to trap oil before it gets the opportunity to get to the intake meaning less of carbon build up on the valves. Direct injection are more liable to carbon build-up due to the fuel being sent directly into the combustion camber before washing the valves. A catch can will not prevent the build-up completely but will help the majority of it.

I guess its a trade off using a little more oil and getting used to checking it every 500-1k miles or eventually succumbing to carbon build up and sacrificing power? Would the Mountune breather plate be necessary if a catch can is installed, or would they work in tandem and enhance things?

Cheers

Louie

CheeRS

Louie

?????? Game REVO

evo6rss
    Participant

United Kingdom

I would agree that DI injection engines can be more susceptible to carbon build up, but the sources I have read indicate that this seems to be an issue on a number of VAG cars. It would also seem to be dependent upon fuel quality and how the car is driven. I.e. short drive cycles around town and cheap supermarket fuel.

Personally I tend to try to utilise as much of the performance as is safe dependent upon road conditions and traffic with my RS on my favourite twisty B roads. The RS also only drinks 99 RON fuel.

If it was me, I would fit the Mountune part first and then if consumption was still and issue look at a catch can. As to how the 2 components would work together, logically, they shouldn’t cause an issue, but as I have no first hand experience I wouldn’t want to offer an opinion either way..

EVO6RSS.

Louie Coppellotti
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks again bud. Good chat this! Looking at the Mountune breather plate, it states that it can be used with a catch can. So i’ll try the catch can first and you try the breather plate and we can then report back to the group!!! Test Dummies we are!!!!!!

Engines create oil vapor from the crankcase and cylinder head that is usually recycled back through the air intake system. This vapor can create a buildup of carbon deposits on the intake valve that can reduce engine performance.

Additionally, the oil vapor can accumulate on the intake hoses, turbocharger, intercooler, and intake tract over a period of time slowing airflow thereby reducing performance. For optimized engine performance, the oil should be removed from the vapor before it reaches the engine’s intake system.

The mountune Breather Plate directly replaces the original engine block plate and features a 100% increase in baffle surface area over the original part. The increase in baffle surface area allows more crankcase vent vapor to be trapped and remain in the crankcase where it belongs. Additionally the route the oil vapor takes on its way to the intake manifold is significantly increased through the baffles resulting in an increase of deflection areas. At each deflection point, additional oil is removed from the vapor. Installation is easy and while not required the mountune Breather Plate can be used with many catch can systems on the market. This part is a must for high boost, high performance applications.

Essential on modified engines
    Direct replacement
    Easy installation
    Machined from solid aluminum with precision steel baffles
    Hard anodized durable finish

CheeRS

Louie

?????? Game REVO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Oil Consumption Fix. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!