Overrev's RS Edition

Home Forums General Members’ Cars Overrev's RS Edition

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author

andy-k
    Participant

UK - England

OverRev, can i ask how the Nanolex Matte is working on the roof? I have used Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care sparingly, but don’t think its the right product. That said i recently did a big clean using Tar Remover (jeepers there were 100+ tar spots in 3.5k of summer driving), Ultra deep shine and Extra gloss protection, so the paint is looking great, i just don’t think i have got the roof looking its best.

Edition, FPM 375

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

andy-k – I applied the Nanolex Matte Spray Sealant to the cars roof around three and a half months ago, and to date, it’s holding up pretty well, it beads well and has also maintained a uniform matte finish, just wash with a matte friendly wash mix.

For me, this is the first car I’ve owned with a wrap, never mind a matte wrap, and as relative detailing novice this particular kit was ideal for me to try, with the only down side being that if your car is a daily, you may well have to apply twice a year. Decontaminating the roof was easily the longest job, and while I was initially a little apprehensive regarding applying the sealant evenly, it turned out to be pretty straight forward.

As a side note, Nanolex do an S13D Matte kit which is more durable, (up to 18 months if memory serves), it’s a bit more expensive but would undoubtedly give more protection, but on reading through the directions for the application, I felt it was a little outside my current comfort zone, so thought I’d try the other kit instead.

Good luck with what ever product you choose, the market has so many products available, the mind boggles!!

andy-k
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks OverRev, I think I’ll give it a go

Edition, FPM 375

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

Well, it’s been a good while since I added to the thread, and so a bit of an update is required, particularly as she’s recently had her first birthday.

As I’ve mentioned earlier, I have been a MK3 RS owner for a while now, in that time, both the first, and the current RS have been daily drivers, that was until the end of October last year, when my wife and I decided to add a second car to the driveway, since then, the Edition has been spared the work and shop runs, and for now at least, fills the role of a middle aged blokes toy.

It’s a funny thing, up until the end of October last year the car had done 5300 miles, and since then has probably only added around another 300 miles or so, it’s safe to say that the CTEK has definitely done more work than the car of late.  Mmmmm, right then, it’s going to be a garage queen then is it….. well, I am not sure I’d go that far, but since not running the car as a daily for a while, I have to confess, that what I’d like from the car, is indeed changing, and not in favour of my wallet.

After driving a stock RS pretty much every day for two and a half years, I think I’d got comfortable with the way the stock car was, and while covered with the safety net of the Ford warranty, I was happy just to keep things stock, great car, loving it.

Anyway, the first service was due last month, and so I thought ok, best get it booked in then, the service revealed all was well, however it was a bit expensive, and came in at just over £1300, Hells Bells, what happened, well, this happened while it was in!!!!

FPM375 Upgrade

Old Intake boxed up

I’ve only been out in the car a couple of times since the upgrade, and I have to admit I really wish I’d got it done earlier, the power builds nicely and the sweet spot is still later on in the rev range, just more urgent, and like many have said, ‘should have been like this from the factory’.

I’ll have to leave it there for tonight, it’s getting late, and it’s an early start in the morning.

Cheers, thanks for reading.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Now that’s a service fortunately only needs doing once ha ha ha Thanks for the report, pleased your happy with the conversion.

Honorary Member

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

bobcat – Ha ha, yes mate, thankfully not a regular addition to the annual service, it was a good opportunity to get it done though, and was something that I’d been umming and arghing about for a while, I also had the SSC fitted as most do, and for now, the bonnet sound deadening is still fitted as no chafing with the new inlet seems to be occurring, thinking about it though, I’ll probably finish up removing it, see how we get on anyway.

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

Sometime back, I promised myself that I would get the wheels off and give the arches a good going over, finally managed it.

Ready for business, picture heavy I am afraid!

Due for a good de-coke.

First up, soak out the arches with Snow foam to loosen up and lift the filth.

Once soaked for a while, I pressure washed the arches out, then followed up with an application of Gtechniq W7 Tar and glue remover where required, once this had done it’s thing, I rinsed and lightly dried off, and then sprayed Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel where required to nail what was left of the contaminants before the final rinse. Final step was to coat the plastics with Nanolex Trim Rejuvenator.

Now to the rear end.

I’d prefer not to see so much rust on the hub faces, this is the first time I’d had the wheels off since buying the car, and as you can see, this face would have benefited from a light application of antiseize from the get go. For now, I’ve cleaned up the best I can, and applied a thin layer of copper antiseize.

You can probably guess, all this faffing took me a while, but on the plus side the car came up really well. I must admit to like trying different detailing products, even if sometimes I wish I’d stuck to stuff I’ve used a lot before, hence the appearance of my Pick n Mix approach to the products above.

Whilst I was at it I gave the wheels a quick do, but I need to get back to those again once I’ve bought some sealant. I’ve always used wax in the past, but I am going to try the Gtechniq C5 Alloy Wheel Armour next time I get them off.

zondas
    Participant

United Kingdom

Just a suggestion remove the wheel liners and go over it again cleaning thourghly then clear wax oil and refit liners buy new rear attaching push washers if needed.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Great story just read from start to finish this morning.

Coastliner

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Great report OverRev, nice pics too ?

Honorary Member

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

Thankyou Lads, that’s much appreciated.

I am never really sure whether to post this kind of stuff, I know it’s not exactly high octane reading for a lot of guys, but I’ll admit to enjoying reading about what other members do and get up to with their cars.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@overrev

Afternoon mate!! It’s a great thread!! Very in depth and detailed!! You’ve made a cracking job of those wheel arches… ??.

As far as posting in the Forum…. you post whatever you want mate!! If people want to read it they will read it. The Club is full of all sorts of members which is just how it should be, offering a wide variety of views, interests, experience etc. etc…. If you have something you want to post just post it. I’m forever putting up pics of my car, I can’t help it, haha!! I’m quite sure some folk are fed up seeing it, but who cares mate!! Have a nice day pal!! The Mrs is doing some baking so I’m away out for a blast!! Haha… ?????????.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

Great job of cleaning up those arches!

Is there nothing out there that can be applied in the hub faces in terms of a paint?

sparkrs
    Participant

UK - England

Looking Great OverRev,  I have an Edition & been thinking of the 375 for a while now, it sounds like its well worth it,,

Does anyone know if this can be fitted at home & still covered by the Warranty ?

I am always very very fussy about taking the car to the Workshops !!

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

rs-jon – Thanks mate. Now, re the paint idea, maybe there is something out there that I could use, but I reckon I’d be putting a light coating of antiseize on it any way, I mean, to be honest that would have done the trick if I’d got to it a bit earlier.

For now though, I’ve carefully removed the surface crust with a flat edge, cleaned off with brake cleaner and then applied a lick of antiseize, that should be o.k for a bit now.

sparkrs – From what I understand, you’ll definitely have to take your car in for the FPM375 to be flashed on to your car, I think that is the key part of it being warranty friendly.

With regards to whether you are able to fit the hardware at home, and then just take your car in for the map install, you maybe could go this route, but I’d confirm with your chosen dealer to verify your warranty compliance isn’t compromised, and that they are happy to proceed on that footing.

Either way though mate, I think you’d have to entrust your pride and joy to a workshop at some point. For what it’s worth, I don’t like taking my car in to workshops any more than I have to, but sometimes you’ve got to. It depends on how much you want the FPM375 on your car really, speaking personally, I was Umming and Arring for too long, I should have just pulled the trigger a while back.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Overrev's RS Edition. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!