Panic Situation – My RS Mk3 electronics have gone wonky

Home Forums Styling General Panic Situation – My RS Mk3 electronics have gone wonky

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

reuben
    Participant

South Africa

Hello Guys,

Can someone please give me advice.

2 days ago I started up and allowed engine to get warm. Whilst reversing out of my garage the rpm became erratic and there were light popping sounds from the exhaust (never done this before). Stopped the car and then at idle the rpm fluctuated between almost stall and 1200 rpm.

On the way to work the idling issue stabilized but then the following warning lights came on :

• Unable to select drive modes (Selected Sport but almost immediately reverts to Normal with the warning)
    • ABS light
    • Hill assist disabled
    • Traction control off
    • AWD off
    • Rear park pilot malfunction

The last 2 days after first start-up the ABS light is permanently on. Then after driving approximately 200 meters, all the others warnings/lights reappear as described above.

My RS is stock. Done 30 000 km (approx 19 000 miles). Never had any issues until now.

Is there an option to rest the ECU? Without going off to a Dealer?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome, that sounds like a big error list. IMO take it back to the dealership they have the electronic data systems to analyse the problem. Good luck

Honorary Member

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@reuben

Morning mate!! It could be something as simple as an ABS Sensor issue which would have the Knock-on effect to all the systems you have mentioned as they’re all tied in together!! With a faulty/out of range wheel speed signal all the above mentioned systems will go into fault mode.

The fluctuation in Engine RPM may be something different though, has the RPM fault now gone??

Agree with @bobcat and get your RS plugged into a Ford Dealers diagnostic tool to read any Fault Codes and monitor wheel speed signals from the 4 x ABS Sensors!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

wasn’t there a case of an earth terminal block in the passenger footwell needed tightening that fixed a similar issue a while back ?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

reuben
    Participant

South Africa

Thanks Guys,

This morning the idling problem was gone.

I did not mention that we are into winter here. The early morning temps are quite low (certainly not as cold as Europe). Perhaps the ECU is confused by the severe temperature fluctuations. Just speculation.

Marc I think the issue with the ABS light staying on could also be due to worn brake pads. Not sure. At last service (November 2018) dealer stated that pads might last another year).

Am taking RS for service next week. So hopefully diagnostics will find something.

On a new subject :

I am seriously considering going for the Ecutek tuning. Has anyone had experience with this upgrade?

The master tuner in South Africa claims 25 to 30% increase in Power & torque. This without any hardware upgrades. The original Ford safety features are maintained.

The cost is very reasonable (ZAR 8500.00)

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@reuben

Your Brake Pad wear will not affect this as the Pads don’t have wear Sensors on them!!

Also, the change in outside air temp should not affect the cars running. It senses the change in temps and makes all necessary adjustments. These cars are driven all over the world in different climates without issue.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

I had a whole host of error messages similar to yours and the garage updated the ABS software. Only done recently so I can’t say for certain that it’s completely fixed. The garage said there were over a 120 error messages recorded.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@red-leader

Good shout mate!! Could well be resolved with a software update in the ABS Control Unit. ?. Think we can discount the Brake Pads as a cause, but a trip to the Dealership for sure, they have the Diagnostic Tool, the latest software and all Field Bulletins.

Cheers, Marc.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

with that list of faults it does sound more than exhaust flap issue too, maybe its…

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@71-bda

Excellent preliminary diagnosis…. haha!!

Guess his under heavy braking he’d be dog on the right….

Cheers, Marc.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

yes def Marc ! you could imagine David Attenborough coming across those marks in the sand later and  describe them as being made by a rare turtle or something !

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I forgot to plug ABS sensor in when i fitted springs. That showed up all the faults above you mention, except rear park.

reuben
    Participant

South Africa

Booked car in for service at Ford dealer for Thursday. I have noted all the advice and possibilities. I just hope that the dealer is equipped with diagnostics and software download.

Problem is South Africa only received about 300 mk3’s. With this low volume our (smaller) dealers are normally not prepared to invest in this type of equipment.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

What’s a Rear Parking Pilot ? I know what the malfunction bit means just not the RPP ??

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

reuben
    Participant

South Africa

I can’t remember the exact wording. This last warning/message follows after all the other warnings mentioned above.

First there is a beep and then on the main centre screen it displays a message something like “rear park pilot requires service”. Then the rear park assist is also disabled. Like with all the other warnings, I press ok to remove the messages.

Hopefully I can provide positive feedback after the dealer visit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Panic Situation – My RS Mk3 electronics have gone wonky. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!