PPF worth it?

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing PPF worth it?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mark-250
    Participant

United Kingdom

So I sold my RS in September on 51k miles and I had been very lucky only had a few stone chips.

Now I am getting ready to get my new car in a month or two I am considering PPF as my job is still 50 miles a day on the motorway.

Is it really worth the £1200 + for full front end PPF?

Do many people have issues with it?

Anybody have any recommendations for places in the West Midlands or Telford area

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Apparently it is yes and I wish id spent the extra and done mine from the beginning.

My attitude when I had the ceramic put on was that PPF too expensive and instead I will, every 2 years or so, spend a couple of hundred quid on the chip repairs but in reality this wont happen.

For me though, its only worth it if your car is for life/very long time. No point if its gonna be replaced in 2 years as you wont get that money back.

walker-steve77
    Participant

UK - England

4 years in and happy with mine. Expensive but worth it in the long term

Nitrous Blue, Lux Pack, Blue Brembo Brake Calipers, SYNC 3, Black Forged Alloys & Door Edge Protectors

Stage 1 + many extras

paul-m
    Participant

UK - England

Not sure about how long it lasts, have seen a mates car where it had lifted on the edge of the bonnet after about 3 years. Decided not to bother when I bought mine. Does having it affect your insurance premium as any repair would surely cost more if a claim was made.

stripe
    Participant

UK - England

@paul-m I remember the insurance premium increase being a discussion a few years ago at a car show. The consensus was that of those that declared a majority saw an increase in the premium (but only a few quid), however some said it didn’t affect it at all. Presumably it’s dependent on who you insure with.

I thought about getting the front bumper, wing mirrors, pillars and luggage lip done when the car was in for ceramic coating. It would have cost an extra £450 with it though, so opted not to. PPF gets its value 10 years down the line, when the paint is still like new underneath – good for resale value.

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

my Rs was done by previous owner from new, the car done 45k and front still looks good with regards to no chips etc however it’s pretty clear my film is at the end of its days, if u look closely you can see some lifting on edges and overall you can tell I have the front bumper/wings wrapped but for a high millage rs it still looks great so the film done the job it was intended to do. Later this year I’ll have it re-done. Worth every penny I think. My bmw at this millage looked like crap with stone chips and small scratches.

thank you previous owner 🙂

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Financially worth it? No (especially if its not a long term keep).

Only worth it for the peace of mind, if that is important to you.

I am 5year on the Focus (9k mile)and 1yr on the BMW (6k mile) and both are fine. You do of course have to be careful with the pressure washer.

you can get self fit kits from the states if you think you are handy enough, and want a cheaper option – £100-£150

Also worth considering what the base coat colour is – e.g. the NB has a white undercoat and so stone chips stick out real bad. White car? Dont bother.

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

This was my bmw at 50k when px for the RS. Look closely and you will see many chips and even a small scuff on corner that if I had ppf on would not of marked the paint.

Is it cost effective vs a respray probably not but anyone doing high miles who loves there car and gets annoyed with any imperfections then I think it’s priceless as every wash I was finding a new chip/scratch so for that reason to me it’s well worth it. My issue been quoted 600 to 2000 to be redone and many cowboys out there offering it so hardest part I’ve found is finding someone good to do it. Thanks to someone on here recommended a detailer in Suffolk which I’ll probably use in the summer.

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

Been PPF’ing my last three cars, for me…. It’s worth it.

mark-250
    Participant

United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies.

I think my concern is if it starts peeling in a few years time from the edges and having to pay again, I know it comes with a 10 year warranty but I assume it would not cover this have to have a chat with the installers and see what they say.

@paul-m
    funny you say that I was doing a search and found a Tesla post and the insurance issue came up Direct Line would not insure a car so more investigation into that side I think.

@grunty-motor
    you make a good point about colour my new car will be a solid white

Tall Paul
    Participant

UK - England

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I bought my car with 158 miles on the clock, the previous owner had gone for the 5 year warranty and 3 years free servicing it also had a ceramic coating and full car ppf according to rs direct it cost 5k To have it done, I wouldn’t have spent that but I’m glad it was already done as the car is totally unmarked, no signs of lifting so far</p>

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to PPF worth it?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!