Ps4s vs sport contact 6

Home Forums Performance Tyres Ps4s vs sport contact 6

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

A bit of a long shot but has anyone tried both Michelin Ps4s tyre and the Continental sport contact 6?

Just seeing which one is better in all round whether usage and whether they help with the torque steer.

Always had sport contacts on my vxr and they were decent but the RS is a different animal. They were bad for tyre wear though.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

well I was on the cusp of trying a set of 235/40×18 sport contact 6s, but just seen the 18″ rims i was going to drop on have just gone up by £200 so holding fire at the moment, I’ve read loads and it seems the 6s grip and stop better in all weather, are a bit comfier ( slightly softer sidewalls). Only thing anyone seems to gripe about is their tyre wear seeing as they seem to be a softer compound than the mich’s  to achieve the high grip , that doesnt worry me being as I only do a few 1000 a year in it. I really do think the michelins love a bit of tramlining and torque/veersteer !!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

mab
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve been running Sport Contact 6 for a few months now & still no veering steering as with the PS4s. Excellent in wet & dry. Maybe won’t last as many miles but who cares when having so much fun.

MSD420

DSC+Tractive Suspension

Continental Sport Contact 6

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Contis are £10 cheaper a tyre at kwikfit for the 19s. I’ve got those Oz lightweight alloys. I know people have said the Ps4s have reduced the torque steer but was hoping someone has tried both to compare. I don’t mind the trye wear if its a better tyre. I done about 38k in 7 and a half years and probably changed the contis about 4 times. Not sure whether to try them as I’ve still got the original super sport tyres on the car.

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@mark

Did you have the Ps4s before the conti 6?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I’m kind of hoping by going down an inch diameter to 18″ rims and going UP in sidewall height to 40 profile its going to be a win-win situation as it is widely accepted that the lower the sidewall, the more twitchy and tramliney and nervous a car gets on anything but billiard table smooth surface.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

mab
    Participant

UK - England

Started with super sport then changed to PS4s but still had veering steering on hard acceleration . 10k miles later changed to the Cont’s. mega grip & no veering on acceleration.

MSD420

DSC+Tractive Suspension

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Im on conti’s helped with veering, don’t get it in track soft dampers ?

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Cheers boys. Think I’ll get all 4 tyres changed to contis.  fronts were at 3 mil last June and rears were 6 mil so might be due this year or even now. Keep the rears as a backup I guess.

I’ve read that getting 18s helped too but can’t decide on a set so I’ll do the tyres first and see how it goes and change to 18s as a last resort. I don’t have the pdc turned off as far as I know so might do that as well.

mab
    Participant

UK - England

Get this turned off & fit the Conti’s u won’t believe the difference.

MSD420

DSC+Tractive Suspension

greg
    Participant

UK - Wales

Get the suspension set up properly and that will stop all veering, I have zero veering now and mine used to do it for fun and I’m still on the super sport tyres

paulie
    Participant

UK - Wales

Gotta be honest had conti’s on my E39 M5. For those that don’t know it’s a 4.9 litre V8 394 bhp revs to 7k to give you an idea of the car.

They were shocking on the car even pulling to the left under hard acceleration and would light up the inside wheel when pulling out of  a junction without being stupid. Tried numerous alignments to no avail,changed  them for Michelin ps4’s and it utterly transformed the car, couldn’t get the traction control light to come on in the dry and had to be really daft to get it to come on in the wet.

So when it comes my turn to put some rubber on the car I’ll be sticking with Michelins which will be in a few months time. I’d do as Greg suggests and get it checked out first on the Geometry.

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

@Greg – Have you had pdc diactivated and what’s your suspension set up/mod?

greg
    Participant

UK - Wales

Pdc is untouched, I’ve had kw coil overs, h+r  anti roll bars and whiteline drop links fitted

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks @Greg. Interesting that pdc left on and no problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Ps4s vs sport contact 6. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!