Question about 2017 rs headgasket

Home Forums General Newbie Question about 2017 rs headgasket

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Jdegroot
    Participant

Canada

Hey guys im new to the rs scene.have a 2017 rs with manufactuer date of 12/16.when i purchased the car a month ago the seller said that my car dosnt need the updated gasket.called a few local dealers and there are no recalls for my cars vin number.

any help would be great and thanks!

hello from alberta canada!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Hi, mines a Dec 2016 build too and had the gasket replaced, check the front right hand part of cylinder head where it joins the block, you can see/feel a portion of the gasket sticking out from the engine maybe 8mm, in this part you should see/feel a small brass rivet thingy with a hole in the middle, that s the latest headgasket.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

Jdegroot
    Participant

Canada

Thanks for the reply.without moving a bunch of stuff its pretty hard to see in there.are you meaning standing in front of car the front right side of engine?

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Welcome jordan πŸ‘ you can feel it without removing anything, if you google mk3 focus rs head gasket rivet location.. you should get a pic…. unable to upload pics here at the mo πŸ˜†

or click on this link hereΒ 

Jdegroot
    Participant

Canada

Looks like it does not have the little gold rivet so im assuming its still a mustang headgasket.

that sucks.do i just contact my local dealership and get it done?

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

If you have given the Ford dealer your VIN, and he says there is no outstanding recall, then either your car has already been done, or for some reason doesn’t effect Canadian cars?!?!

you can check outstanding recalls at https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do , but sadly does not give a history of work carried out to date.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Hi and welcome πŸ₯³πŸ‘

Honorary Member

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Hi & welcome, hope you get it sorted, I know there a pain in going through a recall , πŸ‘πŸ₯ƒπŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸΌβ€οΈβ˜ƒοΈπŸΎ

Jdegroot
    Participant

Canada

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks for all the replys guys and merry christmas.checked my vin number on there and it says no outstanding recalls..does this mean im in the clear? Really want to throw a cobb v3 on the car,downpipe and some other small goodies but dont want to blow my headgasket.</p>

Jdegroot
    Participant

Canada

I have also run the vin number at a few dealers and they both said no recalls for the car.

just dont want to throw a tune on and pop the headgasket and then be screwed.

paul-m
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome Jordan, my thoughts are if the dealers say there are no recalls and you’ve checked yourself, its either been replaced or doesn’t need to be. Best of luck, go and enjoy your car.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

If you have the gold rivet its been done… takes seconds to check

Jdegroot
    Participant

Canada

As stated above it does not have the gold rivet.

have called dealerships and they have all said no recalls for my vin number.

Not really sure what to do.i asked a couple dealers do i bring the car in to have the updated gasket done and they just tell me there is no update for my car.

Jamieandsamcars
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Jordan, you need to do a little more detective work. Manufacture date 12/16 would suggest it does need the correct head gasket but the engine may have a different build date. There should be some numbers on the left side of engine cam cover.

Double check for the rivet, get your camera phone down in there to front right and take photos with the light on.

Etis will not show if it’s been done and not sure if it would say it needs doing.

I have someone who contacted Ford for me to find out if the recall had been carried out on my car so I was lucky but I could see the brass rivet too. Just try a local mechanic and see if they will ask for you.

keep searching and I’m sure you will get the answers. Let us know how you get on.

All the best.

Jdegroot
    Participant

Canada

I will check the cam cover numbers for sure.

i have used a light and video to verify there is no gold rivet.

hd mechanic by trade so im doin my best haha.

just new to the whole ford focus scene so learning as i go.

thanks for all the replys guys been a great help so far!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Question about 2017 rs headgasket. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!