RDU Oil Change

Home Forums Performance Transmission RDU Oil Change

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

Hi

I am sure I read this somewhere on the forum, but the search function does not work well for me…

Does anyone know what oil is needed for RDU oil change? Ford claim this is not a serviceable part… complete rubbish as there are drain and filler holes on the unit. I have seen a video on youtube showing how to do it, and this has recommended oil, but I would prefer a second opinion.

Have you done this? 🙂 I may also do the PTU oil at the same time. Makes sense.

Thanks

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

Posted thread as couldn’t post link to it👍

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Doesn’t the owner handbook list all the fluids the car uses?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

71-bda, nope the uk handbook doesn’t list the PTU or the RDU additive

Darrenharris1
    Participant

UK - England

• 🚙

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

<p style=”text-align: center;”>As I said not in UK manual,  US manual does indeed list it, strange but true</p>

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

They are from the workshop manual…Oil type is the same so just need the same spec regardless to brand, use the Spec number

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

We do gear box Rdu and ptu for £200 drive in drive out 👍

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve checked again and I’m still told that this oil should not be changed. !!

I’m not an engineer but what I’m told makes sense.
    unlike the engine oil, this is in a sealed unit and no outside contaminants. Engine oil needs changing as it’s continually used to filter out the emissions. This oil is in a symbiotic relationship with the components. Yes the oil collects internal debris but that is best left in situ as an equilibrium reduces wear. The components get used to the “sludge”. New oil would scourge the system encouraging and carrying off more debris.
    I’ve heard similar stories from other manufacturers.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

We maintain and repair some mental priced industrial gearboxes, rule of thumb… sealed non serviceable, fill and drain plug serviceable…. key is correct oil / additives, at correct levels / amounts….

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The car will actually tell you when the RDU /PTU require an oil change. Obviously you can change it before and spend a ridiculous £200 doing it or wait until the car tells you.

It takes about 30 minutes and Around £40 for the stuff and at least £160 for Half an hours labour really 😂😂😂😂

Your choice Your car

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by white-rs2.

Tyrefitter
    Participant

UK - England

The £200 is for the gear box Rdu and ptu,I’m guessing to do the lot will take around 1 hour 30 minutes & out of the £200 the garage is supplying the oils,mechanic to do the work,lift to do the work on that’s probably cost about 2k,garage overheads then what evers left will be profit which the garage pays tax ect on.

Andy.

Red Edition.

Darrenharris1
    Participant

UK - England

I would happily pay 200 all in….cars on 27,000 now and was planning on getting it done when it reaches 30,000 miles

• 🚙
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to RDU Oil Change. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!