Recommendations on OBD code reader

Home Forums Performance Electronics/ECU Recommendations on OBD code reader

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Hi

I will just put this out there for recommendations. I could do with a code reader for diagnosing faults that would be suitable for my RS and our Mini Cooper 2016. Seen a few advertised relatively low cost and others like snap on costing a kings ransom. Just looking for something easy to use and affordable that will work on a wide variety of cars. Thanks in advance.

Coastliner

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

I think the rule of thumb with modern diagnostic readers is that the more cars they cover, the less specific they are at giving detailed fault info. So I doubt you will find one that will cover both BMW/Minis and Fords to the level of detail you require.

Someone with more knowledge will be along soon to correct me or confirm what I’m saying.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@RS77

Thank you, I can see your logic, my knowledge is not comprehensive in this field but I know there are many on here who can point me in whatever direction is suitable. It may not be possible to buy what I want but thought I would get some feedback on here.

Coastliner

grethch
    Participant

Germany

I got this one. The wifi edition with the torque pro app:

Vgate iCar3 Wifi OBDII Auto Code Reader

Price £13 at aliexpress.com

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@grethch

That sounds cheap was expecting to pay around £100. Thanks will take a look.

Coastliner

_Focus_RS_
    Participant

Switzerland

OBD Link MX Bluetooth

You are looking for this one, it’s not a Cheap China Clone and less expensive like Licensed Adapters.

Also you will have a Community behind where you will get Support if you are in trouble with, also Firmware Updates.

Check the Comparison, but be aware, there are just two which came in question.

If you wanna use an non Android Phone (always less settings avaiable than at your computer), you will need the OBD Link MX+

Don’t buy the OBD Link MX WiFi, its nice but not that stable and common by other Software to get a connection.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

_Focus_RS_

Thank you for your input will do some reading up.

Coastliner

eu4n
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Another vote for the OBDLink MX+

Works with apps on both iOS and Android as well as FORScan on my Laptop.

More expensive than some of the clones, I’ve had a few, but it works reliably and can access MS-CAN.

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

@coastliner – what did you go for in the end?

Eibach Pumaspeed springs UK  – Mountune full Induction – delete valve plug – carbon knob – JCR seat lowering kit set @ 39mm – black nuts! Engine forged by FJRS – TCR front splitter V2 and side skirts – RS rallyflapz – Car serviced/maintained by GS Motorsport

lc96
    Participant

UK - England

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Recommendations on OBD code reader. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!