Replacement Sub in OEM box?

Home Forums Technology In-Car Entertainment Replacement Sub in OEM box?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

coupe20vt
    Participant

UK - England

I cannot hear the sub in my RS. Mine is March 2017 UK car, Sync3 and does not have an amp.

Since I do not have an amp does this mean my sub is being driven by the headunit?

I’d love to improve the sound from the speakers but want to keep it as original as possible so not looking to run cables and install an amp etc. Has anyone tried to replace the Sony sub with another shallow mount sub in the OEM box for example with something like this Kicker?

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

coupe20vt
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you Kenny, presumably since the Sub is in the rear of the car the software update improves the sound from the sub as well?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Details are:
    3824 – Focus ST/RS poor sound distribution/quiet sound from rear speakers
    If a customer complains that the soud is coming mainly from front speakers and the rear speakers are too quiet, be informed that an improved Audio Control Module software is now released. Note that this update affects Sony Premium Audio System on ST/RS only. Please use SBD for guided diagnostic. Please choose the following symptom. Customer comfort and entertainment -> Audio -> Soundoutput -> speakers -> Poor quality/distorted sound from one or more speakers (not all).

Honorary Member

irelmo
    Participant

UK - England

I find the so called speaker upgrade to be poor. Sony sound is pants!

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

coupe20vt, your software should be up to date. Mine is a Jan 2017 build and mine had been updated before receipt. Those with sync 2 complained about the poor sound and apparently the software update made a huge difference.

Can you genuinely not hear the Sub at all?. I certainly can on mine but I will agree that it’s pants which is why I have purchased an aftermarket Alpine cabinet with built in Amp. Ive also purchased a standard Focus boot floormat so I can get rid of the waste of space tray and I need some Polystyrene board 15mm thick to finish the job nicely. There are plenty of how to guides on other forums showing how to do all of the above.

coupe20vt
    Participant

UK - England

For me all the sound is from the front speakers including the bass.

If I shift the fader to max rear then the sound stage shifts more centrally in the car. It is like the front speakers have volume setting or 100% and the rear speakers have volume setting of 20% at any given volume level.

It is most bizarre!

adw
    Participant

UK - England

Pls see Kennys update as per above. Made so much difference when I had mine done

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

coupe20vt
    Participant

UK - England

Yes I will request this update when it goes in for HG and it’s first service 🙂

coupe20vt
    Participant

UK - England

I have booked in with Eastleigh Performance Ford for my HG recall and they who knew about the software update for the RS with the Sony system and will do it at the same time.

Thanks all.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the update. You’ll find it sounds a lot better once it’s been updated.

Honorary Member

coupe20vt
    Participant

UK - England

Well the HG recall sounds like it’s months away so I booked it in for its service.

i got them to update the audio module using the details I found on here and wow, there genuinely is a big difference!

i can hear the bass from the sub!

eagle
    Participant

UK - England

@coupe20vt, thanks for the update, pleased you got the audio sorted

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Replacement Sub in OEM box?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!