SHORT BLOCK UPGRADE!!

Home Forums Performance Engine SHORT BLOCK UPGRADE!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 161 total)
  • Author

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Morning All!!

I put up some posts and a link on 28th December about fellow RS owner and YouTuber “That’s Nobody” who suffered G/box failure after 21,000 miles of HARD driving, Daily Launches, Track Days and Drad Strip runs in his RS which is running 400 WHP!!

Anyway, as he was going to be removing the G/box himself and repairing it, he has now decided to remove the Engine and G/box complete to strip and repair G/box and strip Engine to fit an upgraded Block. He has been offered a complete Short Block with all upgraded parts, Rods, Pistons, Crank, Studs etc. etc. by Panda Motor Works. He’s going to be doing the work himself in his small garage with the car on axle stands and will be removing the front end and pulling the Engine/Gearbox out the front, then stripping and rebuilding the Engine and Gearbox.

You gotta take your hat off to this guy for undertaking this task in his garage on axle stands, lol, and he’ll film the whole process as he always does. I for one will be watching intently as this is something I’d like to do in the future, although I’d be doing it on a ramp!! Should be interesting viewing over the next couple of weeks!!

https://youtu.be/gwFTPFUOQJU

https://youtu.be/lB7ufU4bEDo

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Not sure about this guys skill levels for this type of project as his tools all appear brand new. But you have to take your hat off to him it takes guts to attempt this in what looks like a small garage workshop. Hope he remembers where everything goes back and good luck to him.

Coastliner

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@coastliner

Yeah, should be a good watch over the next few weeks. I think his mate is a Mechanic so be interesting to see how they get on!! Certainly not a lot of space in his wee garage, lol!! They’ll need to do a bit of organising coz there’ll be bits everywhere!! He’s wanting to see how much power he can get with OEM Turbo, with an end goal of 550 WHP which may require a bigger Turbo later on!! Good luck to him!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Interesting to see how it steers eventually if he does not get the front subframe bits in EXACTLY the same place they came from the factory! def brave doing that job in basically a lock-up!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Yes Brembo and 71-bda will be an interesting watch. I have messed about with engines in the past but there’s much more to remove these days all those plastic clips and bolts I don’t envy him at all. But I can understand him in some ways as he knows exactly what been done and to what standard.

Coastliner

paul-m
    Participant

UK - England

Very brave guy, rather him than me that’s for sure.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@coastliner

Plenty plastic popper bags and a marker pen to keep all the nut/blots in groups next to the components they relate to is half the battle and keep it well organised!! I noticed he wasn’t doing this to start with, he was putting some on the ground then his wiper fittings went into a drawer in his tool box, probably not a great start!! Lol!! And I’d get that bloody dog out there too before it starts chewing up all his plastic clips and kicking stuff about the place!! Perhaps his lovely girlfriend could come through in her undies and write on all the plastic bags for him!! Haha!! ??.

@71-bda

I don’t think he’s gonna be touching the Subframe, he’s planning ripping everything off the front and pulling it out that way!!

Cheers, Marc.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

marc.. mmm undies… mmm I’d be ripping them off!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo

It certainly didn’t look like a structured approach to an engine out job. Don’t want to knock him because I just wouldn’t have the skills to do this although I do have some AF spanners. Bet bda will have a comment on the spanners. Also have some BA spanners. And the dog would defo not be of help, maybe it passes him the tools.

Coastliner

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@71-bda

Haha… There’s just something about the word “undies”!! Don’t yi think?? Lol!! Mmmm…. undies!! ???..!! Haha!!

@coastliner

Got some AF Spanners have yi?? Lol!! He’s looking far more organised now, he’s even getting his refrigerant collected, here’s the link he just posted for Day 2…..

https://youtu.be/Jd5RRguuIps

Cheers, Marc.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

This is more gripping than midsummer murders oh the suspense oh the Americanism oh the language just have to laugh. And there’s no way he will put every clip back in those wiring looms I have been there with a handful of stuff left over. That dog has City and Guilds car maintenance.

Coastliner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

yep, stripping is easy, getting it all back is another thing ! Once that engine and box is out and then stripped there are going to be masses of parts all over the show, cylinder head, camshafts, timing chain new block, old block in bits flywheel clutch etc etc, does he even know whats involved in timing up the cams? Nightmare. then theres the gbox strip down, theres going to be rods and sleeves and gears and bearings and interlock balls and all manner of stuff, oh its not for the faint hearted, especially while your dog is continually chasing its tail !

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@71-bda

Year yir right there mate!! It’ll be great viewing coz I’m sure he’ll film everything so should be good!! Hopefully he’ll have everything layed out on clean surfaces and do them one at a time, whether it’s G/box first then Engine or vise versa!! He seems to be buying anything he needs as he goes, let’s hope he doesn’t need any special tools for the G/box?? I know you need tools for the Cams on the RS and a Crank locking pin, although a 10mm or 12mm drill bit would probably do, lol!! I don’t watch any soaps but I’ll be tuning into this everyday, that’s for sure mate!! ??..!!

Cheers, Marc.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo

Will you post the links on here its better than Night Manager and that was good.

Coastliner

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@coastliner @71-bda

Episode 3 gentlemen!! Not sure how I’ll get on posting these when I go back to work, but I’ll try!!

Cheers, Marc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to SHORT BLOCK UPGRADE!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!