SHORT BLOCK UPGRADE!!

Home Forums Performance Engine SHORT BLOCK UPGRADE!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 161 total)
  • Author

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Episode 5 Gents!!

https://youtu.be/G4xnDpPy3zU

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

Peewee12
    Participant

UK - England

This is a good watch hopefully he has lots of little bags with all the fixings labelled.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Afternoon Gentlemen!! Here’s Episode 6. An awful lot of talking which I’m sure will please some of you?? NOT!! Haha!! Anyhoo, he should be pulling the Engine/Gearbox out tomorrow hopefully!! I’m away back Offshore tomorrow but shall try my best to keep uploading these. Should start getting real interesting soon.

https://youtu.be/AconFtfJovw

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

cool ! I’m sure I heard him say his mrs was a ‘bit tight down there’ !! mmm

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@71-bda

Haha..!! Indeed he did mate, indeed he did!! Lol!! ??.!

Cheers, Marc.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Episode 7 Gentlemen!! I’m back Offshore so had to do this in my break. Engine and G/box out and X Clutch Twin Disc stripped!! Things should start getting interesting now.

https://youtu.be/wd2nM3wuEIg

Cheers, Marc.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

They certainly should, if you have problem posting I subscribed to his channel so could continue posting. This guy has stripped some stuff from the motor to remove it. I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes. And what does he expect with the clutch if he has done daily launches. I brt its heavier than the OEM unit looking at all those plates. Unless someone can tell me different.

Coastliner

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@coastliner

Morning mate!! Yeah, In for a penny in for a pound eh!! Or “BALLS DEEP” as some may say!! Haha!! ??. No turning back now!! Lol!! As for the Clutch, it may be slightly heavier but then again I think he has a lightened flywheel so I guess overall it’s negligible. I’ll carry on posting but if I find I’m struggling then by all means put the posts up, I’m not even sure if anybody else is reading this thread apart from us, haha!! ? Right, that’s me off to work now!!

Cheers, Marc.

Peewee12
    Participant

UK - England

He is defiantly balls deep now. Taking apart is one thing putting it all back is quite another, wonder how many screws and clips he will have left over.

Hats off to him for taking it on.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I’m watching Marc !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Episode 8 has arrived Gentlemen!! Stripping of Gearbox this time. Gotta take your hat off to him as he ploughs through this build!! ?.

https://youtu.be/9v88FtqecOo

Cheers, Marc.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Now I am no gearbox expert but I have replaced the syncro rings in a Vauxhall Viva many years ago. And I had a paraffin bath where I cleaned everything and assembled the gearbox smearing oil on parts. I hope it works for him but with all those broken fragments and smaller metal fragments I hope he’s got them all out. Not sure how resilient the carbon fibre part of the syncro ring will be. Its horrific how these plastic caged bearing are in all gearboxes now, nothing seems to be built to last. I do wish him well in this and am rooting for him.

Coastliner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

coast I think he must be cleaning parts off camera as theres no way a gearset comes out of an oily gearbox looking that clean and dry. As for the carbon fibre lined syncros i was dubious about them when I first came across them, we fitted a set to a mates Accord type r years back and had no issues, did seem to improve the gearchange and allow real fast hard changes without baulking or ‘beating the syncro’ ! I just wish they did them for my type 9 gearbox ! I think thats going to be a complete success that gbox rebuild, amazing how simple that one is.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

I have to agree bda it doesn’t seem too complicated and quite straightforward. I know virtually all the bearings in gearboxes have plastic cages, but why not the good old way with steel cages the weight difference cannot be that much. Or is it for a different reason?

Coastliner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Coast I think the main advantage ‘plastic’ cages have is that they have marginally less friction,( between the balls and the cage itself)and possibly run cooler? and that some of the plastics used do have a kind of self lubricating fundtion as they can absorb some of the oil , much like sintered bronze etc, they have probably found that using plastic instead of steel saves something ridiculous like a litre of petrol every 10000 miles! AND..maybe they are cheaper too!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to SHORT BLOCK UPGRADE!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!