Show us your garage/man cave!

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Show us your garage/man cave!

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

@71DBA

Lovely photo Of the Carbs, Oooooooooo…..Twin 4os DCOE’s?

There is only one thing worse than a missing washer is a spare bolt/set screw left on completion of a job.

As an apprentice we use to fully strip and rebuild 3phase electrical contactors, about 200 components, bolts, nuts, springs, washers, circlips, contacts, spaces etc. One of the electricians use to add a couple of extra components to the stripped down pile and hover in the background to see if you just chucked them away.

Revenge was sweet though when an apprentice swapped a couple of carbon brushes for wooden ones in a Single phase motor, Electrician spent all morning trying to get it to run, especially funny that the apprentice swapped them back out without getting seen so the motor ran perfectly when he reconnected it.
    Not much repaired now unfortunately, usually just swap it out now.

May the Ford be with you

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@yorkirs used to be loads of west contactor’s where i done my apprenticeship, we also used to service and repair the 8ft flo fittings… just replace nowadays, only odd motors get repaired ☹️

@71-bda
    my uncle spoke of those carb things ? and the time he spent tinkering and setting….

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

fun times back then yorkirs !!

Gareth, I can honestly say I have not so much as moved the idle screws once on mine in a couple of years, once you have them set correctly, there should be no need to tinker, if they ‘go out’ thats normally the balance screw unwinding due to vibrations and the thread /spring not being tight enough, a bit of loctite on the thread sorts that. Once the idle mixture is set when engine is fully HOT and not ‘sort of warm’ etc etc the idle will always be the same at full running temp, so many folk tinker while its warming up, then once its hot and the revs have risen, then they go and tinker some more! chasing their tail !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

@kev1966900

Kev, apart from a naked Kelly Brook, that’s probably my next item on my wish list.

Stunning car, even like the colour!

NB FPM375

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Right guys, got a week offshore to go then back home. Looking to get some materials ordered up so I have stuff to do in the garage especially on a rainy day. I have 2 options for the walls.

1. Paint – anyone ever painted thermalite block in their garage? I would be going for white for the most part but may do a bit of a feature wall on one of them. Any recommendations as I don’t want to waste loads of paint when it soaks into the block. Good easy and cheap option.

2. Plasterboard the lot – frame out and fix plaster board, tape and plaster joints. Like this option as it would be a better finish however a lot more work involved and will cost a lot more too.

Have got a little bit of work to do on the car in the form of some rally armor flaps to fit so not all just DIY haha

Let me know your thoughts or any pointers for either option please.

Cheers, Neil

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

suppose it depends how you use the garage?

If you are having a working garage and hanging heaps from the walls then painting the brick would be best esp if you are doing messy stuff like grinding, chances of floor getting wet. etc. Mines is breezeblock and a total PIA to paint using emulsion and/or outdoor wall paint due to all the holes.

plasterboard would lead to a warmer mancave type of garage for a garage queen………this would be what i would do next.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by grunty-motor.

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Yeah, plaster board is the way forward if possible. I painted mine white but the holes in the blocks make it look poor. Ideally you’d want to dab every square inch and it would take forever. I needed to paint as I didn’t want to lose any width as the RS only just fits in.

NB FPM375

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@stu-c

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. The idea is do it right once. I don’t want to lose too much space, it’s a double but I keep 2 cars in it. All beit one of them is tiny compared to a modern car.

@grunty-motor

Yeah more used for storing the garage queen’s than any hard graft being done. Also like it to be more of a man cave and somewhere to chill, with a beer from the fridge and look at my shiny cars haha

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Decision made then!

looks like you have a modern garage – surely you wont need much more than 1″ battons + plasterboard. What is a couple of inches……dont ask yer missus

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Show us your garage/man cave!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!