Solar Fuel

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Solar Fuel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

See the morning dancer, crossing the sky,
    Turning gold to amber travelling by
    He must know the answer
    He must know why
    Looking for an answer, look to the sky

Hi there chaps

Climate change is reality, energy crisis is at our door step. Unless you hold shares for lithium, battery driven cars do not contribute to a sustainable future no matter how euphemistic our greenwashed politicians talk. So we need to open our minds and look for all possible alternatives.

Synthetic fuels have been around for a while, albeit with an extra electrical step of electrolysis of water to gain hydrogen. This process requires huge amounts of electrical power and is quite expensive. Some young engineers from the ETH had the idea to reverse combustion and to omit the electrical step altogether. They want to synthesise hydrocarbons from water and CO2 with direct solar energy so that we can use our same engines and petrol stations in the near future.

https://synhelion.com/

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

I personally like this idea very much indeed. There is some hope to be able to drive our beloved cars a bit longer. I grew up during the oil crisis in 1973 and I have rather good memories of this era:

Cheers, have a nice day 😎

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@Frenk, a very interesting subject, I think all motor manufacturers engineers are working on synthetic/hydrogen fuel engines. I do think that will be the future with electric vehicles alongside 👍

Honorary Member

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@bobcat: At our age we can lean back and avoid the rat race. We can reduce the pace with mindfulness. At most, we could easily organise a picnic on the motorway 😉

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@Frenk, absolutely 👍 Although we have idiots in the U.K. who think they can do it when there’s traffic

Honorary Member

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

The British public are not very amused

Honorary Member

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Climate change is only a reality because the Sun’s intensity changes over time as well as other meteorological reasons. Man made climate change is bullshit and well over abused. Don’t fall for it, its just another method of making the elites and China richer with their renewable energy projects financed by the tax payer.

The idea that we (Europeans) need to change our way of life due to climate change is laughable. The UK makes less than 1% (continually decreasing) of the worlds C02 so whatever we do, it will make fuck all difference.

The future for energy is Nuclear. Its very clean and relatively safe. Until they are built we should fuck off all talk of getting rid of fossil fuels but we should use them. Yes, re-open the pitts for now (China are going to open 34 new coal mines before the end of next year) and get drilling for shale gas and more north sea oil. Fuck Extinction Rebellion and Insulate Britain – run the smelly cnuts over!.

v8marshal
    Participant

UK - England

What @DaveRS says 👍

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Ditto above 👍

Off subject…. the volcano that is erupting on the Island of La Palma spews out more harmful emissions in One day than the U.K. emits in 10 years. I wish I could find that scientists report 🤨

Honorary Member

gary1234
    Participant

UK - England

bobcat

so true  the reports are never to hand when you need them

Tall Paul
    Participant

UK - England

Throughout earths history climate change varies between hot and cold and always has, we may have made it happen a bit sooner since the industrial revolution but it would have happened anyway due to the distance of the earth and it’s variable tilt to the sun on its orbital path, solar activity, volcanoes, wild fires etc. Even without these inputs climate change is cyclical and will happen regardless of our actions, since the last ice ace ended about 10k years ago the planet has been warming up and that’s just the way it is

my son is a geologist and a physics teacher and I have over a thousand fossils and I’ve studied enough to know claims are real but it’s natural and over emphasised

details of earths varying climate through history is easy to find and it goes up and down in regular cycles

Tall Paul
    Participant

UK - England

Tall Paul
    Participant

UK - England

100k year cycles of increased CO2 and temperatures, ice cores and sediments don’t lie but politicians do, sit in the middle of the road as much as you like it will make f**k all difference

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Yep, that’s bang on Paul. I’ve seen those graphs myself as I follow Tony Heller.

The bottom of your graphs also shown below implies that we are well overdue the next ice age as climate has been relatively stable for the last 10000 years. The ability for mankind to increase temperatures would be a fine thing.

More C02 I say, its great for the plants (our food).

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Solar Fuel. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!