Sound surpression chamber

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by 71-bda 71-bda 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Julian Wright
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve just been going through all the receipts for the rs focus I’ve just bought. It has the mountune 375 kit on it, I’ve found a receipt for a sound surpression chamber. I’m not very mechanically minded. Can anyone tell me what it does and what it’s for?

brembo
    brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@julianwright

Evening mate!! The SSC does exactly what it’s name implies…. Sound Suppression Chamber. Some RS’s exhibit a whistling noise from the Turbo, most noticeable on start up as the RPM is raised slightly. This noise can become more prominent if the Air Intake is upgraded. I found this noise rather loud after upgrading my Air Intake, it sounds a bit like the whistling sound you get blowing over the top of a beer bottle. I fitted the SSC and that quietens it right down. It looks like this….

It’s located on the drivers side of the Turbo.

Hope that helps mate!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3.

Julian Wright
    Participant

UK - England

thankyou very much for the information. Now I know what it’s for. Thanks again 

nicklulu
    nicklulu
    Participant

USA

It is on the turbo cold side, by the recirc valve.

I got a Cobb SSC installed. It does too good of a job that the woosh sound from the aftermarket intake gets canceled out. I’ll be uninstalling mine when I find time.

Jori Heinonen
    Jori Heinonen
    Participant

Sweden

Installed my ssc a few days ago but it didn’t do anything on my car. I still get this “whistling” noise not when idle but at full throttle above 3-4000rpm. 🤔

-17 Frozen White RS

mountune lowering springs

mountune intake

cobra venom catback exhaust

71-bda
    71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Jori, don’t worry, somewhere someone would pay good money for that whistle!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

nicklulu
    nicklulu
    Participant

USA

It might be a lose vacuum line rather than the intake noise?

71-bda
    71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

could it be the famous snoring humming bird ??

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login or register below to contribute to Sound surpression chamber. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!