SPARK PLUGS!!

Home Forums Performance Engine SPARK PLUGS!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Morning All!!

Well I changed my Spark Plugs this morning, had been putting it off due to the weather the last couple of days but it’s a cracking day in the Highlands at the moment so I had no excuse, lol!!

Old plugs removed were OEM and have done 23,000 miles. The last 7,500 miles running Litchfield Stage 2. I must say I was more than happy at how they looked…. Very clean indeed and the Earth Electrodes were a lovely coffee colour which tells me she’s running spot on!! They do have very noticeable brown staining where the porcelain meets the nut, that’s called “corona” and is perfectly normal.

I have fitted “one step colder” plugs and went for Denso ITV22’s. I fitted them dry, no copper grease etc. and torqued them down 15 ft/lbs.

I will say that after starting the Engine and letting her warm up I gave her a few blips on the throttle and it did seem to rev up slightly quicker and smoother. I’m off for a road test now to see what like!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

Nice one.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Look forward to reading your findings  ?

Honorary Member

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@bobcat

Morning mate!! After a couple of days blasting around the Highlands I must say that the RS is running superb!! What I have noticed is an eagerness to climb through the Revs and the Bangs from the Exhaust seem slightly more pronounced, now this could be a placebo effect and all in my head, but that’s how it seems to me, anyone else noticed this after changing Spark Plugs while running a remap?? I can confirm that start up does seem crisper and more instant. And I have the peace of mind knowing that these Plugs will dissipate heat better than the standard Plugs which is perfect for my current state of Tune. So ALL GOOD!! ??.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Thank Brembo for a comprehensive report. I’m sure those who do high mileage will be interested, (I’m not one off them these days).  Will be interesting to see if they have longevity!

Honorary Member

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@bobcat

Apparently these Iridium Plugs last forever, haha!! The earth electrode erodes away before the Centre electrode will. I’ll still check them every year though.

Cheers, Marc.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks ?

Honorary Member

muzzie
    Participant

UK - England

<p>Hi, I need some new plug where did you buy the Denso ITV22’s? I’ve found lots of different prices online are they all the same?</p><p> </p>

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@muzzie

Morning mate!! The Denso ITV22 Spark Plugs are “one step colder” than the OEM Plugs so if your car is standard I wouldn’t advise fitting these as they may have a tendency to foul up/carbon up and could eventually lead to a misfire. If however your RS is remapped to 400BHP+ then these are very good Plugs. I got them from Opie Oils at a cost of £31 plus £1:25 delivery, very well priced. You’ll also get an extra 10% off when you first register with Opie Oils, so if like me you change your own oil, get stocked up on your first order to maximise your saving. I ordered 21 litres of oil, enough for 3 oil changes and some topping up!!

If your RS isn’t remapped I’d replace the plugs with OEM ones.

Cheers, Marc.

muzzie
    Participant

UK - England

<p>Hi thanks for the reply, I have the FPM375 fitted so not standard but not 400BHP+. The car idels rough as hell and was hoping this would solve the problem. I’ve found the plugs really cheap from this web-site https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-iridium-spark-plug-itv22, £28 including delivery!! There is also load of technical information on Iridium spark plugs, Torque settings  and Tuning considerations. </p><p>Do you know if the standard plugs are already a performance or enhanced design and could fitting an aftermarket Iridium plug on a FPM375 setup result in a drop in performance?</p>

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@muzzie

Afternoon mate!! The OEM Plugs are an NGK Plug and are of heat range “6”. You can tell this by the writing on the Plug… here’s a photo of my old OEM Plug….

You could fit the equivalent heat range Denso Plug which would be ITV20. ITV22 are equivalent to heat range “7” which is one step colder. This table gives you a cross reference…

I’d stick with the same heat range if I was you. Have you had your plugs out yet?? How did they look?? What kind of miles have you done??

Cheers, Marc.

adw
    Participant

UK - England

I went for the same plugs on an aggressive map and I didn’t really notice much difference, just had less knock readings which was interesting, hence I went for the ITV22.

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

muzzie
    Participant

UK - England

<p>Not had the plug out yet, my mate going to help me out on Thursday next week. My RS has done 28K, but I had a new engine fitted at 16K. My service intervals are all over the place so was planning to drop the oil and change the plugs and filter. I’ll post some picture when I remove them. <br />I’ve grown a bit paranoid with my RS, so when the car idles rough I start to worry. I was thinking some Iridium spark plugs would be worth a try as Mountune are showing them as a worthwhile upgrade. I just wasn’t sure of the heat range of the one’s on the Mountune website or how much extra power I needed to have before I went a step colder. I can’t believe the price difference between Montune and this web site I found, that means you’re paying an extra £28 for Mountune to gap the plugs. Do you know what the standard plug gap is?</p><p>I’m going to order these https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-iridium-spark-plug-itv20</p&gt;

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@Adw

Indeed mate!! Your Stratified Tune must be around 400BHP is it?? You should get a better burn with the ITV22 Plug and less chance of the Plug heating up causing knock or even melting the Plug tip!!

The general con census is 75BHP above stock warrants a “one step colder” Plug. Although the majority of Tuners are advising the one step colder Plug when at 400BHP!! Especially if like me, your RS is constantly driven hard!!

Cheers, Marc.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@muzzie

The NGK Plugs from Mountune are heat range “7”. One step colder, the same as the Denso ITV22’s.

The gap for a standard OEM plug is 0.030”. I gapped my ITV22’s to 0.026”.

Just reading through your posts, how often is your RS misfiring and under what conditions?? Is it from cold or hot?? Is it only at idle??

Cheers, Marc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to SPARK PLUGS!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!