stone/insect damage to radiators

Home Forums Performance Cooling stone/insect damage to radiators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

PerfectlyPeter
    Participant

New Zealand

After 8000 kms 20 or 30 of the fins on the oil cooler radiator have been flattened by insects or fine stones passing through the grille. I have tackled this issue by cutting out and adhering a black plastic mesh of similar openness to the standard grille mesh. What’s more I have applied mesh to the otherwise bare area where there is no grille mesh at all.

Today I raced the car for a couple of 15 minute sessions at a track-day at Hampton Downs (Auckland) with these mesh panels in place without any noticeable increase in oil or water temperature.

Ben Woods
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Peter have you got any pictures of the new grills you installed. Sounds like some good feedback! I will keep an eye on mine. Thanks

PerfectlyPeter
    Participant

New Zealand

Plastic mesh which is sold at Home DIY centre for covering roof gutters to prevent leaf blockage.

OK not very neat but quick and easy to apply. I used Velcro tabs. Also I used same method for attaching mesh over the area between the two grilles where there is no mesh at all. (see other photo in next post)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to stone/insect damage to radiators. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!