Sync 2 to 3 Official Upgrade

Home Forums Technology In-Car Entertainment Sync 2 to 3 Official Upgrade

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

@71-bda Are you sure your not worried about your heat exchanger in your boiler,Hopefully it,s a Worcester ,mines 24 and still going strong but you should have it serviced to keep it safe.Good job Ford don,t make central heating boilers ,open or closed deck LOL.

Former RS Edition owner

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Lee – I installed a generic Fakra aerial as part of my sync 2 to 3 upgrade, but I’d be interested if you figure out how to do the OEM version. Not sure it would make much difference in GPS reception unless the aerial is mounted outside the car. What does OEM aerial look like? Is it a replacement to the roof top aerial?

crunchie
    Participant

UK - England

Is it really worth upgrading from Sync 2 to 3?  I do not posses any Apple gadgets. Only use my Sync 2  for music and the odd bit of sat nav.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Lee.

As far as I can see from the TSB, although the cable assembly is listed in the “parts required” section, it’s not referred to in the instructions.

In any case, the method in the TSB is one way of installing the GPS aerial. A better way (IMO) is to use a 2037308 aerial, which is the way it’s done on cars factory fitted with Sync 3. You get a much better GPS signal than that obtained by a GPS antenna buried in the mirror bezel.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Does the Sync3 use the same memory card with the maps on, or do you need different version?

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

No SD card in sync 3. If you’re going from 2 to 3 you need to change the USB hub in the arm rest to get full functionality, eg Android Auto and Appleplay. Easy to swap although the main loom connector is different.

Maps are built in to the APIM. Also sync 3 allows the use of alternative sat nav systems, eg Waze or Google maps.

ijhammo
    Participant

UK - England

Has anyone had this done?  Just called Ford’s at Dunton and they said they have never heard of it….

ijhammo
    Participant

UK - England

In fact they were quite rude about it!

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

I did it myself as my dealer quoted £1500 fully fitted. Cost me £600 for the APIM and screen, pre-programmed to my spec. Bought a second hand USB hub and loom from Ebay. Took around 2 hours to fit. However, the supplied cheap fakra GPS aerial caused the sat nav to loose signal from time to time, so I swapped the rooftop aerial for an OEM version used in the latest Fords. All works faultlessly now. I’m even running sync firmware v3.2! and the whole thing came in at around £800, and should be less once I get some money back on my Sync 2 units.

ijhammo
    Participant

UK - England

Where are you based RS77? Fancy doing mine?!?  😀

Not having Sync 3 is the only regret I have in jumping in early on the RS (was one of the first to get one in my area – put my deposit down in April 2015!)

I want to get the Sync3 done and the LSD installed and I will be a happy boy 😀

jimbojambojumbo
    Participant

UK - England

I went for the OEM look in the end the upgrade parts fords list is not OEM for the RS, they use a GPS aerial that is located in the mirror area i believe the preface-lift has its GPS aerial in that location  and the cable is from a ford transit. So i purchased an RS roof mount aerial GM5T-19G461-CB 2nd hand off ebay i used this one because it has the later short mast (early masts do not fit it) i then got a male to female 5 metre fakra cable off ebay £20 and routed it to the sync unit

After market aerial signals

VS

OEM Aerial Signals

jimbojambojumbo
    Participant

UK - England

I have a spare sync 3 for sale if your interested also have another roof mounted aerial if you want to go for the factory look and better gps signal im in essex

jimbojambojumbo
    Participant

UK - England

sync 2 will not get any more system updates and sync3 will be be getting free map updates so  its a no brainer for me and also the sync3 has been jailbroken although not public yet its only a matter of time and this opens up to custom firmware with features like Video player and other navigation software built in and custom wallpaper backgrounds

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Did you also swap the USB hub? Otherwise, the sync 2 fitted USB hub will throw up errors. I bought a second hand USB sync 3 hub and loom, but only used the power connector to power the hub. So no need to remove the centre console.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

climate added to sync 3 screen

Did you also add climate control to sync 3?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Sync 2 to 3 Official Upgrade. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!