Sync3 Sat Nav Good or Not

Home Forums Technology Navigation Sync3 Sat Nav Good or Not

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Alan484
    Participant

United Kingdom

Having spent a few weeks with my new RS and finding my way around the Sync 3 , I have to say ‘hand on heart’ The Sat Nav is absolute crap !

my old Garmin puts it to shame by a country mile and the dealer has just confirmed that I’m not as stupid as I thought I was and that yes , it is in fact pretty useless . It will only take you to a postal area and not a specific street and house number !

Complete and utter waste of money !

Opinions please?

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

Oh dear

back to google maps via Bluetooth then

Julian Holling
    Participant

United Kingdom

Is the Sync 3 Sat Nav different to the Sync 2 then ?  On Sync2 I have the option of entering a post code and drilling down to the street and number (if the post code covers more than one street) or entering the street and house number directly.  One thing I haven’t managed to work out though is how to get 3d buildings on the Sync2.

Stage 2 Clutch, Dreamscience iMap DS-Ultima 2+

Alan484
    Participant

United Kingdom

On my old Garmin , which I use in my van , I can input postal code it then asks house number/ name , at that point it will suggest street or I can input that manually where it will then highlight the full address and give me the option to start route.

On Sync 3 (not sure if 2 is the same as ive never used one) I input post code and that’s it , your off whether you like it or not , you have no idea how close or far you will end up from where you actually want to go , youll just end up in that postcode , somewhere !!!

I spoke to the dealer who had a play around on a Sync 3 on a car in the showroom and confirmed what I already knew . If I had know it was going to be so basic , I would have kept the money and put it towards something useful and practical ! (like an induction kit !!!hahaha)

Julian Holling
    Participant

United Kingdom

Seems very much like a backwards step to me Alan.  I’d love to see Sync3 in action to judge where it is an improvement on Sync2 and where it’s been made worse 🙁

Stage 2 Clutch, Dreamscience iMap DS-Ultima 2+

malcirs
    Participant

United Kingdom

Find this amazing!

Looked at the online manual and it says that you can put street name and number in the free text search screen:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O35785&languageCode=en&marketCode=GB&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1759510&subTitleSelected=G1853979&topicHRef=G1823159&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

If you do this, does it then ignore the information and just take you to the Postcode location?

Very poor if it does…

Alan484
    Participant

United Kingdom

Ive tried the above and it wasn’t too bad , although it does take a lot longer to input , also tried using the POI , was looking for a sports centre we were heading too for an event and after a while of searching for it the sat nav logged it as a destination then proceeded to take us up a side street and round the block just as we approached it ! hahaha . maybe its just me and what I’m used to but my £100 5 year old Garmin is way superior !

muzzie
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve use the sat nav (Sync 3) for the first time this weekend and its absolute crap ! It took me in the completely wrong direction and got me lost 4 times. It nearly even got me a speeding ticket as screen said the speed limit was 40mph when actually  it was 30mph and there was a speed camera. It the worst Sat Nav I’ve ever used, not happy.

mad-mick
    Participant

UK - England

It seems to me as sync 3  is not quite as good as expectations?

I haven’t used the Sat nav yet, so cannot pass comment on that. The sat nav in the old mk 2 RS was fine.

The rest seems cluttered and busy. Especially when trying to operate whilst driving.

I had an st a few years ago, and the heating and ventilation could be controlled by voice commands, yet with sync 3 it can’t?

I guess it will take the old dinosaur a while to fully master the new system?

Other wise a great car.

carismadave
    Participant

UK - England

Personally been using Apple Maps through Carplay, or Waze. Seems fine to me:) Must admit that the standard Ford interface maps through Sync 3 got me lost on my first journey! Kept me on a loop! Stuck with Carplay since.

Dave;)

stmart
    Participant

UK - England

I love my Sync3, it was Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 🙂

1. Stmart

steeve
    Participant

UK - England

Can you add POI’s like speed cameras?

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Sync 3 is OK but I really strongly believe that any built in nav system is not going to be as good as a custom stand-alone nav device – even a cheap one.

One way to “bypass” the Sync 3 system is to plug an Android phone in with a wired connection and use Android Auto.  Your voice commands through the car go straight to google.  I find this brilliant.  Google Maps is displayed on the centre screen instead of Sync nav.  What’s not to like?

Cheerz

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

RSGAZ
    Participant

UK - England

I just use waze, best nav I’ve ever used

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

So far I think my sat nav has been pretty good. No complaints here (yet)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Sync3 Sat Nav Good or Not. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!