The BMW M140i is dead(ish), long live the M135i

Home Forums General Non RS Chat The BMW M140i is dead(ish), long live the M135i

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

bumble-b
    Participant

UK - England

Or maybe not. Watching that Markcup video thing prompted me to post this. I know how you gays (bloody predictive text I meant guys) love BMWs and really wish you had one so just a quick Youthing to keep you happy. Good spec, right price, looks crap but would photograph well taking up two parking places. Think I might grow a beard and have my arm tattooed, but there again I’ll just hit it with a club hammer should give about the same result. Weather looks good for the weekend so enjoy.

Every village needs an idiot.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

this bloody buzzword all reviewers keep banding around…. “ARCHITECTURE”  we never had that in the 70s or 80s or 90s or noughties, is it another millenial naff speak thing?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Impressive, but the ST price is a complete piss take making this look better than it is???

Still can’t stand beamers but the M140 was an attractive option for its rear wheel drive, 6 straight pots in a very small car combo.

I understand that they wont be releasing a true M1 /1M variant so this will be as good as it gets. I do wonder how far tuners will be able to take the new 4 pot without forging. It wont be in the 500’s like the 6 pot I’ll bet.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

BMW M140 3ltr and giving only 112bhp per ltr. The Focus RS 152bhp per ltr. So how much would it cost to tune the M140 if it started with 456bhp then add 100bhp tune to that I guess more than £700.

Tuning today is no more costly than 25 years ago

So in 1999 a Cosworth YB 2ltr tune Stage2 –  T34/35 Turbo, a set of Green Injectors, a 3 Bar MAP, a new ECU Map and fitting £3100 in today’s money £5.5k  pretty much as today’s prices but on a 2ltr YB you’d get 350bhp. 100bhp less than our Focus RS

Its always been expensive to mod a car after the initial ECU mapping is done.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

What I meant was the 6 pot bmw can take well over 500 hp without spending much (under £2k I believe) whereas the 4 pot bmw will need much more spending on it and will probably need forging after say 415hp same as our cars.

However, if you can achieve 0 to 60 in 4.8 with only just over 300hp in the new 1 series, it may be that you can get it to under 4 seconds (in order to compete with A45s) to 60 with just 400hp which will only be a couple of £k’s.

Will be interesting to see and I may go and try one. I’ll be looking for a new daily next year so it will be on my list of test drives.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

It seems the vw Audi and bmw can hit good.figures with minimal outlay and without the need for forging , the mk3 rs gets very expensive …….I was warned this before I bought one , trouble is  the rs looks and drives so good ?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

I thought all 3 Audi RS, VW 400R & Mercedes AMG are forged from the factory. How much are the German three each to Purchase ££££

The Focus is Forged from the factory it has a very good crank, but it is very heavy in standard form, but has budget rods and pistons. How much was the Focus £££

Whats the cost difference in a Loaded Focus RS and a Loaded Audi RS3 or any of the three. I bet your looking a nearer £20k difference.

The Focus RS was an Engineers car built by Accountants.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

The Focus RS was an Engineers car managed by Accountants…..

Corrected it for you ?

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

sod talking about beemers ! this is far more interesting !!..

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@white-rs2

I get what your saying, but the value of all those cars has dropped significantly so roughly the same price as an rs on a 2016 plate like mine

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The used car price is irrelevant it just shows that the three Germans depreciate faster than a lead weight dropped in water.

Its the new car price that’s important as that’s what the manufacturers get their profit from.

I’m betting theirs way more profit on a £56k car than a £36k car. Hence why the German stuff can have better standard components and build from their.

If you Spend £20k modding your RS to the same price as the Germans and you’d have a far superior motor over the German 3

You’d have A 520bhp car and £4K change.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

bumble-b
    Participant

UK - England

Local BMW dealer invited me to their launch of the M135i in late September. They’ve got it for the weekend so I’ve booked a test drive. It would be rude not to! The configurator is now on the web so you can build your dream M135i. Starts at £37,230 and by the time I’d selected all my options came out at £44,840 which is near enough the price I paid for my fully loaded Mercedes A35. Be warned if you select M sport options some previous options you’ve selected may deselect! A loaded M sport version came out at £42,290. Ignore “Trim” and “Models” and start at “Colours”. Go on, you know you want to!!

https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configure/F40/1SMP/FPDFM

Every village needs an idiot.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

er, but NO, No  I don’t !!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

I think i,ll stick with the Focus,Get more jealous looks and frowns from BMW owners than anyone else on the roads,Especially when there behind which is most of the time.

Former RS Edition owner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

^ LIKE !! ^

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to The BMW M140i is dead(ish), long live the M135i. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!