The Electric future; danger. Cars going slowly.

Home Forums General Non RS Chat The Electric future; danger. Cars going slowly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

As they have no gears or shapely power graphs, electric cars are easy to check on performance.
    their peak efficiency is at 20 mph.
    hence they are good in urban areas.
    driving that slow and the supposedly optimistic ranges can easily be bettered.
    At 70 mph their range is about halved.
    Then of course the cars are or will be  clever enough to lower performance to get you to the next charger.
    so guess what speed they’ll be doing on the motorway to save them getting stranded?

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

In the summer I get just under 300 miles out of mine around town and about 250 miles at 75mph so no where near half, more like 80%.

If someone is doing excessively low speeds on a Motorway or anywhere for that matter for any reason including limp mode they’d be subject to pulling over and a ticket for driving without due care.

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Dave.
    I got my figures from a scientific paper that I can’t access now, but I found this graph on google.
    It is similar.

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

I can’t believe a model 3 long range will get to 530 miles even if its driven a constant 25 mph in the summer.

You have to take note that that graph is in Summer, you can knock a 3rd off all those figures in the winter as electric needs constant heat pumped into the cabin when its cold (mine has a 5kw heater!). Its not like an ICE car where once the car is warm you can turn the heater down to minimal to keep you warm.

It is true that the range is affected dramatically by speed in all electrics but temps are also a major factor.

If I was a 30k miles per year sales rep, an electric just wouldn’t do or even a hybrid – it would have to be diesel but luckily I do just 25 miles round commute and I get free leccy at work and virtually free company car tax so it makes a lot of sense for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to The Electric future; danger. Cars going slowly.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!