The great Hi-Fi debate

Home Forums General Non RS Chat The great Hi-Fi debate

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

I don’t listen to a lot of music but do entertain as a musician.

Don’t own a Hi-Fi system as such, just a surround system for the TV / DVD etc.

What rocks my boat is my 500W Trace Elliot 2×10, 1×15 bass rig. 1Kw Hartke, 2x 4×10 cabs for the the big stuff and a 300W Ampeg for the dedicated rehearsal room.

1964 P bass, 73 J bass, 93 Warwick Thumb, 2015 Rickenbacker 2003

The surround system is Sonos but I do suffer from tinnitus and half deaf due to my work and music, so it don’t really matter 🙂 Happy days 🙂

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

The last tinnitus I had for one day was after Roger Waters’ concert in Zürich last may. At home my ear drums are being caressed by the lips of Diana Krall as if a young angel would pee on your soul 😉

But I understand 71-bda: in the car sometimes it has to be Muse or Tekkno at 95 dB 😎

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk I too have a bit of Krall after dark at home, but in the car you need about 102db of deep urban underground house garage techno funk a disco ambient hard dance or whatever its called  !! My tinnitus is 24/7 like being inside a high frequency noise generator.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Yesterday I had a quick bass test at home since we installed a new large corner sofa and had to relocate the speakers. I chose Yello, Planet Dada (Flamboyant) with the volume knob set at 12 o’clock. Well, it was a medium earthquake throughout the residential building, innit 😉

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Currently sitting in my cardigan with my pipe and slippers listening to pink floyd on vinyl with a few pops and crackles from my aging wharfdale speakers,if i can get these slippers off i might make it to the shops for my copy of sound and vision.Then on my return a “nice cup of tea”.

Or shall i fire up the RS and really make some noise.

Former RS Edition owner

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Can’t beat a bit of AC/DC in the car, well the Z4 as the RS is worst car audio I’ve owned. My 63 plate Volvo V40 with premium sound option has been the best.

My Turntable is still in its box after moving 3 months ago ??. If I stop faffy with cars long enough I’ll get it set.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ Frenk.. did someone mention Giallo ??

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

nearly forgot Boris !!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Oh Yeah! Gotta say yes to another excess! Brilliant, Mike, Shine on! 😀

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@andy thornton: Cardigan and pipe and tea? Bet you were listening to Alan’s psychedelic breakfast. Ah, these floydian slips 😉

Wonder whether Nick Mason has an Mk3 RS in his collection…

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Love proper music but so much is digital and re-mastered which spoils what vinyl was all about and is coming back in fashion,using Deezer in the car which is mostly re-mastered but still sounds good for a limited ability car stereo,nothing would give me greater pleasure than to blast the neighbours with a bit of Iron Maiden but a really good set up at home is way too expensive.We definately showing our age with the type of classics being discussed.

Former RS Edition owner

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Well, yes, too old to rock’n’roll, too young to die. I’m off for a trip through Italy with my Rosie. Think I’ll start with Johnny Cash and CCR. Keep on rocking 😎 ?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk ! if you are going to italy, there is ONLY one tune to play. I actually took my cd along when I picked the car up new ( at Midnight 28th Feb ’17) and played this as I drove home !

P.S, watch out for the tunnels mate!!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Andrew
    Participant

UK - England

I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated listening room (after my son left home).  I’ve always gone for the most bang for the buck as far as my hi-fi is concerned (wifey doesn’t seem to understand that the £450 PS-X power supply to my Cyrus amp is essential.  “You spent £450 on what is just a effing plug?  An effing plug?”  Except she didn’t say effing!)

I’ve had a bit of a vinyl renaissance (Project Debut Carbon) for the last 5 years and enjoyed buying 2nd hand records of music not available in digital format.  I’m also still buying CD as the CD player is still going strong (Arcam CD72).  As a lover of choral music – especially the Renaissance – it’s easy to pick up records from the likes of Kings College Choir, Cambridge.  I’ve also discovered Pink Floyd (on Vinyl) and enjoying Marillion’s album F.E.A.R.

The separates sit on Atacama stands and send the music to some Acoustic Energy floor standers via some QED Silver cables.  I also run a Sony QS Minidisc player which I bought in the 90’s when I was ‘taping’ a lot of music from the radio!  I was lucky enough to be visited by the audio team from ‘Gramophone’ magazine.  They used to have a monthly piece where they would bring along a car full of kit if you needed help with upgrading and you could listen to it at home.  The magazine got a 3 page spread from it including photos, and I ended up buying the Arcam CD72 and AE speakers they auditioned for me.

Would I get on the upgrade path?  Yes, absolutely, but having had other financial commitments means that has not been an option.  My pal has an esoteric system based around a Linn LP12 and has just bought a replacement MM cartridge (used) for only £3.5K!  His system does sound divine but is way out of my price league (those of you thinking of having children beware of how much they cost you: have just put my son through uni in London – not the cheapest place to live!)

Main thing is to enjoy your music.

irelmo
    Participant

UK - England

Wow there are some serious hifi nuts here!

My system is now 15 years old and was bought primarily for movies.

I have B&W dm602’s in the front and dm600’s at the back. B&W lcr something or another in front and centre and a nice big ASW 600 sub. All driven by a denon AVR-2807

I love it for films! It has never sounded terrible unless my wife has pressed something she shouldn’t have!

Listening to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon on 5.1 bluray almost as intended when recorded in quadrophonic is amazing! Great gig in the sky always moves me to ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to The great Hi-Fi debate. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!