The great Hi-Fi debate

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by 71-bda 71-bda 6 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Elliot
    Elliot
    Participant

UK - England

I don’t listen to a lot of music but do entertain as a musician.

Don’t own a Hi-Fi system as such, just a surround system for the TV / DVD etc.

What rocks my boat is my 500W Trace Elliot 2×10, 1×15 bass rig. 1Kw Hartke, 2x 4×10 cabs for the the big stuff and a 300W Ampeg for the dedicated rehearsal room.

1964 P bass, 73 J bass, 93 Warwick Thumb, 2015 Rickenbacker 2003

The surround system is Sonos but I do suffer from tinnitus and half deaf due to my work and music, so it don’t really matter ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy days ๐Ÿ™‚

FPM 375

DSC Suspension Controller

Breedt Short Shifter

• This reply was modified 6 days, 22 hours ago by Elliot Elliot.
    frenk
    frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

The last tinnitus I had for one day was after Roger Waters’ concert in Zรผrich last may. At home my ear drums are being caressed by the lips of Diana Krall as if a young angel would pee on your soul ๐Ÿ˜‰

But I understand 71-bda: in the car sometimes it has to be Muse or Tekkno at 95 dB ๐Ÿ˜Ž

71-bda
    71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk I too have a bit of Krall after dark at home, but in the car you need about 102db of deep urban underground house garage techno funk a disco ambient hard dance or whatever its calledย  !! My tinnitus is 24/7 like being inside a high frequency noise generator.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit.

frenk
    frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Yesterday I had a quick bass test at home since we installed a new large corner sofa and had to relocate the speakers. I chose Yello, Planet Dada (Flamboyant) with the volume knob set at 12 o’clock. Well, it was a medium earthquake throughout the residential building, innit ๐Ÿ˜‰

andy thornton
    andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Currently sitting in my cardigan with my pipe and slippers listening to pink floyd on vinyl with a few pops and crackles from my aging wharfdale speakers,if i can get these slippers off i might make it to the shops for my copy of sound and vision.Then on my return a “nice cup of tea”.

Or shall i fire up the RS and really make some noise.

2018/67 Focus RS Edition extended warranty gel inserts,ALA Gap insurance,standard for now.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Canโ€™t beat a bit of AC/DC in the car, well the Z4 as the RS is worst car audio Iโ€™ve owned. My 63 plate Volvo V40 with premium sound option has been the best.

My Turntable is still in its box after moving 3 months ago ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ข. If I stop faffy with cars long enough Iโ€™ll get it set.

Magnetic Grey- Just door protectors away from being full spec.

FPM375, Full MT Blue charge pipe kit, Quaife LSD, MT Springs, DSC Suspension Control Unit, MT- Short shift, PTU Brace and Roll Restrictor – LED Sequential rear lights, Shadow Chrome wheels.

UK seller for DSC Active suspension control modules โ€“ Taking order at Ford Fair for next batch.ย 

71-bda
    71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ Frenk.. did someone mention Giallo ??

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit.

71-bda
    71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

nearly forgot Boris !!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit.

frenk
    frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Oh Yeah! Gotta say yes to another excess! Brilliant, Mike, Shine on! ๐Ÿ˜€

frenk
    frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@andy thornton: Cardigan and pipe and tea? Bet you were listening to Alan’s psychedelic breakfast. Ah, these floydian slips ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wonder whether Nick Mason has an Mk3 RS in his collection…

andy thornton
    andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Love proper music but so much is digital and re-mastered which spoils what vinyl was all about and is coming back in fashion,using Deezer in the car which is mostly re-mastered but still sounds good for a limited ability car stereo,nothing would give me greater pleasure than to blast the neighbours with a bit of Iron Maiden but a really good set up at home is way too expensive.We definately showing our age with the type of classics being discussed.

2018/67 Focus RS Edition extended warranty gel inserts,ALA Gap insurance,standard for now.

frenk
    frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Well, yes, too old to rock’n’roll, too young to die. I’m off for a trip through Italy with my Rosie. Think I’ll start with Johnny Cash and CCR. Keep on rocking ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿค˜

71-bda
    71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk ! if you are going to italy, there is ONLY one tune to play. I actually took my cd along when I picked the car up new ( at Midnight 28th Feb ’17) and played this as I drove home !

P.S, watch out for the tunnels mate!!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 1 hour ago by 71-bda 71-bda.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login or register below to contribute to The great Hi-Fi debate. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!