Time to replace my front tyres.

Home Forums Performance Tyres Time to replace my front tyres.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

I asked them to do it but thats all i can go off isnt it, the guy didnt say he had difficulty doing it just he could not turn on autolocking when you drive off. I dont have a way of checking really do i? I noticed the difference when i drove it after on the same stretch of road, it did not fix it though.
    i have since added more power and im guessing its making the issue worse. So i am now trying to do all the things i can in order to lessen the problem 🙁

“A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it” – Walter Rohrl

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@cam87

Morning mate!! I certainly don’t suffer from VS anymore, I have PDC turned off and have done about 7,500 miles with PS4S’s on the front. BUT I still get a pull now and again which I put down to the car just simply gripping the road surface under HARD acceleration. I definitely prefer the 4S’s to the Super Sports, they feel like a far better tyre in the dry and the wet.

It’s hard to say if they’ll help you as I don’t know exactly what symptoms you are feeling but i definitely felt some benefits with 4S’s on the front.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

Morning mate,

its the same issues others have really, i done have issues in normal driving but if i go up a slip road or accelerate hard somewhere it with start doing the typical thing others report with VS. I have felt the supersports tramlining only the other day and my thoughts are –

1. The car is sending power to the rear when i accelerate, more now with litchfield stage 1
    2. The tyres are then following imperfections in the road which is making the VS issue worse and i wont know until saturday if the alignment is also adding to this.

i have read about the michelins on a few forumns with people reporting tramlining and can only guess this is a contributing factor too.

1. i have had PDC turned off, to my knowledge (did improve but not fix)
    2. tyre pressures are correct
    3. wheel alignment is on saturday
    4. only option i have then is to change tyres and hope for the best

thanks

“A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it” – Walter Rohrl

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@cam87

Just read your last couple of posts, I think when you have a bit more power like we do you kinda have to expect something. I would think you’d get tyres out there that would eliminate that bit of pulling I feel under hard acceleration but ultimately you’ll lose some overall grip. There has to be some kinda sacrifice, I doubt you could completely eliminate any kind of pull or torque steer effect and still get full Maximum grip from a tyre!! If someone can prove me wrong and name this AMAZING tyre then good, but I doubt it.

Interested to see the outcome of your Wheel Alignment.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

no of course i expect some form off issue, even had slight pull on my old evo 9 when i added power, its to be expected. This is a dangerous feeling though like the front wheels are zigzagging of their own accord.
    example –

drives down test route in second gear at WOT, change to 3rd and again WOT and then all of a sudden the sterring wheel has a mind of its own and starts zigzagging. Now maybe this is the 4wd system swapping power to each wheel and causing this effect i dont know but its certainly not a natrual thing or confidence inspiring 🙁

One thing actually the slip roads are on a incline, maybe that causes the problem

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

cam have you tried the ESC fully off, hold button down for like 10 seconds until the countdown on the dash is complete and the warning symbol comes up? I also believe the more the car is tuned, the more it puts power to the front wheels as the clutch packs in the RDU will only transmit a certain maximum torque, anything above that figure merely goes to the fronts. I really do not believe tracking will cure this issue, if it drives straight without pulling at all times other than flat out, i dont think a bit of toe adjustment will do anything.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

thanks for the reply bda, i have tried it in all modes, it does make it a little less last time i checked but not sure if is was 100% off or just pressed. ill try it tonight and report back. The alignment might not help but i have to exhaust every avenue dont i really and it wont do any harm in making sure its right anyway

cheers

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

No bda it doesn’t do it if I turn traction completely off

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

well then cam, to me it really sounds like they have bluffed you and not turned off PDC !! I’m pretty sure that once they go into the pdc menu and switch it off, it does send a message online to Ford direct and they then know its been turned off, I was asked to sign a waiver saying I understood that i had had a ‘so called comfort safety device switched off, no biggy to me. I would really go to another main dealer and ask them to switch it off, and either dont mention that it is already supposed to be off or ask if you can watch the procedure and be sure it is done properly. The very fact that its better with traction full off definitely sounds like PDC is still on !!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

Ffs they charged me for that too! Surely they cant get away with that! Think it’s worth going back in or not or cut my losses and go to another dealer?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I’d def go to a different dealer. Maybe ask on here for folks recommendations for a dealer near you who has turned off their pdc

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the advice I’ll do some homework. Really not amused with the dealer

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve just been for some runs now.

8/10 times it didn’t do it. I then went to another place where I know it does and it did ot straight away, so I went back round again with traction off and no issue at all it was fine

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

sounds exactly how mine was with pdc on. Car is transformed with it off. It still moves on the odd occasion on real bad rutted surfaces, but only once, not the original death slalom

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

Well i rang 2 dealers near me, one said ill have to ask the tech whats it called ” pull drift condensation?” so i then rang another and they said yeah we have done it before, when we do it, it says ford advise against this all over the screen, we ignore that and then you sign a waiver. BINGO! only downsides are its next week and 1 hours labour at £120. Its worth it if it sorts the problem though and they know what they are doing.
    Torque steer etc im ok with just not the death veer. Thank you for your help mate

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Time to replace my front tyres.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!