Turbosmart BOV

Home Forums Performance Forced Induction Turbosmart BOV

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

Watching a YouTube clip of the Turbosmart plumb back BOV installation shows additional plumbing work over the basic swapping of the valve itself.  What is the purpose of this?  The existing set up I assume is to allow the ecu to have a degree of control on the valve in the event of the need to bleed boost pressure (for safety reasons?)  Please correct me if I’m wrong but if the additional plumbing is to by-pass this then why would you do it?

There must be a number of people out there who’ve installed this BOV and I would love to know if they’ve done the modified plumbing or just a straight valve swap.

JohnD

wheely
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing as you!  oem denied performance vid on YouTube has the engine cover off and connectors and puts a T piece in the piping??  I believe it’s just out with old in with the new.

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

After mailing Stu at Motorsport Developments he confirmed what I said about the need for the ECU to open the valve instantly in the event of the need to bleed boost due to LSPI or overboost.  He does not therefore, recommend the by-passing of the solenoid.  The Turbosmart BOV will operate perfectly well as a straight swap for what’s currently fitted.

There were reasons why Turbosmart included the alternative plumbing and it’s mainly to do with the 50/50 valve.

JohnD

wheely
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the update JohnD.  I thought it was just a swap out. I’ll wait till they’re on sale soon and straight swap it

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by wheely.

tideyofsweden
    Participant

Sweden

Stu said the exact same thing to me when installing, so I listened to his advice. The only thing you will need to live with is a constant release of air noise in 5th/6th gear cruising on the highways. I thought something was wrong at first, but perfectly normal if you don’t install the bypass.

List of mods is now too long for my signature…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Turbosmart BOV. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!