Type R

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Type R

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

bob-the-bandit
    Participant

UK - England

One of these (18 plate) absolutely left me for dead yesterday on the A1. Not from a standing start and I refused to go over 70 but the acceleration of that thing….. Should this have happened or was I just in the wrong gear!!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

I would have thought the rolling start performance was comparable, he or she must have been in a lower gear.

Coastliner

walker-steve77
    Participant

UK - England

My girlfriend has a 19 plate Type R and above 5 degrees on a dry road, it goes like stink! Probably would leave the RS in its dust I wouldn’t be surprised…hardly any torque steer either.

Questionable looks but excellent engineering gone into it.

Nitrous Blue, Lux Pack, Blue Brembo Brake Calipers, SYNC 3, Black Forged Alloys & Door Edge Protectors

Stage 1 + many extras

bob-the-bandit
    Participant

UK - England

Hmm was carrying a bit of wait in my car as had Mrs sitting next to me.  I must say i like the look of it but coming from my Mk2 Rs i probably would.

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

I got absolutely stomped by a mk5 golf the other night. Looked like a right shed but went like a rocket. Have no idea what was done to it.

Those type r are 300bhp? How much do they weigh? Rs is abit of a porker

440bhp

443lbft

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Matt. B.

v8marshal
    Participant

UK - England

It could possibly have a tune.

walker-steve77
    Participant

UK - England

316bhp and lighter for sure.

Nitrous Blue, Lux Pack, Blue Brembo Brake Calipers, SYNC 3, Black Forged Alloys & Door Edge Protectors

Stage 1 + many extras

paul-m
    Participant

UK - England

My Son has just bought a modified Vauxhall Astra VXR [288 bhp] and it seems much quicker than my car.The RS is certainly a lard ass in some ways.

marty_rs
    Participant

UK - England

Shamefully I considered trading my rs in for a type r due to issues with oil leaks, I’ve since come to my senses and persevering with the dealer. The fk2 has 300bhp where the newer fk8 has 320 due to revisions here and there. They have a lsd as standard I believe and weigh less than the rs being front wheel drive. Car wow and similar do review them as being evenly matched though so I guess it all depends on the circumstances.

A thing to consider though is the way the rs delivers the power compared to other turbo cars. It’s very linear and you dont ‘feel’ the turbo kick in sort of thing. My mk2 st was like nothing, nothing, nothing…..then booost when you floored it.

Much prefer my rs though, definitely a keeper despite the issues I’ve had/having. The way it drives is addictive, plus I love the whole ford thing, the community,  the help from other owners and the shows and stuff. Had fords for years so things would need to be pretty bad for me to jump ship.

bob-the-bandit
    Participant

UK - England

I’m feeling better now.. just been out for my lunch to my mates and had a corsa vxr try to keep up with me on the back roads of Northumberland…….. those cars don’t like cornering do they??

jonyscam
    Participant

UK - England

Precisely Bob

Perspective fellas…..

The RS will outrun more expensive cars from the line with launch control…. but it carries weight and so its rolling times will suffer a little.

Its AWD system allows it to come alive on winding roads. Type R, Golf R and others will suffer in this department and for me the fun comes from winding B roads and not straight line driving (yawn).

Its designed for the bends baby……… and loves them.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by jonyscam.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by jonyscam.

Puddington1001
    Participant

UK - England

I had a corsa vxr and Astra GTC VXR before my RS and neither have anything on it over winding roads. My Astra VXR felt quicker but I think that’s cause it was bouncing all over the place and wheel spinning! Just got back from a 3 hour trip in the RS and nothing makes me smile the same.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@Puddington…. Sorry to hear, you had to try Vauxhalls first… ? Glad your enjoying the RS

Puddington1001
    Participant

UK - England

Haha we all make poor life choices! Buying the RS and joining the Fast Ford community definitely wasn’t one of them! Several of my exes though….. ? ??

Bolts1323
    Participant

UK - England

Sadly mines up for sale , times come to move on , maybe come back to the rs brand in a few years , been a good car , but not exceptional like other RS products , have fun cheers RS lovers !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Type R. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!