Tyre Pressures

Home Forums Performance Tyres Tyre Pressures

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Check all tyre pressures when they are cold, at least once every two weeks. Check them after the vehicle has been parked for at least three hours. Tire pressure can diminish over time and fluctuate with temperature. Do not reduce the tire pressure of warm tyres.

Recommended Pressures

Tyre Size Normal Load Full Load
    Front Rear Front Rear
    bar bar bar bar
    235/35 R19 2.8 bar
    (41psi)
    2.6 bar
    (38psi)
    3.2 bar
    (46psi)
    3.2 bar
    (46spi)

The recommended tyre inflation pressures are on the tire information label on the driver side B-pillar.

Note: Do not exceed a cold tire pressure of 3.4 bar for track use.

Tyre Pressure Sticker

J J
    Participant

United Kingdom

Has anyone tried different tyre pressures to turn factory norm? Would be interesting to have some comparison s … Thanks

PerfectlyPeter
    Participant

New Zealand

Last weekend I drove 35kms at a track day with tyre pressures set to the normal load recommendations of 41 and 38 psi  My tyre retailer expert told me that the pressure would have increased on the track to at least 45 psi. Inspecting the tyres he noticed that there was virtually no wear on the shoulders indicating that the tyres became over-inflated. For track use he suggested starting out at 37, 34  psi. The track I raced on was a very tight 1.2 km circuit.

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Thanks for the advice Peter.

Did you enjoy the track day?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@Peter, thats in line with what I’ve read elsewhere and have been told. Reduce the tyre pressure down by 2psi all round as a minimum. Depending on the track short tight circuit down 2psi, long straight circuit down by 3psi?

Honorary Member

PerfectlyPeter
    Participant

New Zealand

Thanks for asking, Bobcat.  It was enjoyable after my being a bit apprehensive to begin with. Put me in a competitive situation and I tend to over-drive a car, brake late and hard which is not the fastest way around a track. But first time out I avoided that, kept quite calm, and to my pleasant surprise more than kept up with an M3 and some version or other of a turbo 911.  I switched to track mode and also found the stiff damper setting was good except for exiting slow bumpy corners when oversteering became twitchy rather than progressive.

John Bovard
    Participant

Canada

Here in North America, I was told by my dealer legislation requires TPMS system to be set to 46PSI with a tolerance of 4-6 PSI.  So the TPMS low pressure warning light comes on below 39 PSI.  And the dealer is prohibited from adjusting the threshold downwards.  I wanted to run 37F, 35R on my daily driver setup (265/35ZR18 Michelin PSS)  for a vastly improved ride. So I need to find an unscrupulous mechanic with a scan tool to adjust the BCM downwards.

2017 Z06/Z07 Coupe Admiral Blue – 7Manual
    2002 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 4×4 Stepside Indigo Blue

2017 Escape Titanium Lightning Blue
    2016 Focus RS Nitrous Blue:    ordered: Jan 10, built: Sept 9, shipped from plant: Sept 27,  shipped Rhea Leader: Oct 25,
      arrived Halifax: Nov 12,  delivered Vancouver Island: Nov 28, 2016

JacobZ06
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Emmett Hedigan
    Participant

Ireland

I have had the exact same issue.  It happened firstly when I was driving pretty quickly on Irish back roads (we still have some great ones left).  I was shocked by how loose the whole front end / steering had become.   Ignored it and forgot about it until the next time and it has happened several times since.  I have a Golf R too in a car pool with some friends and it never ever did anything like this in fact no performance car I have ever driven has done this.  Going to try my tire pressures now, then go for a burn later.  Hope it works.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

When I was introduced to the track, many many years ago (either racing or track days for fun) I was informed to always reduce tyre pressure by some 3-6 psi on standard, due to the heat build up and the water moisture in the air within the tyre expanding.

🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@John Bovard

Hope this helps

To reset your TPMS sensors without a tool:
    1. Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. 36psi.
    2. Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.
    3. Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see “Train left front tire” in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.
    4. Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read “Train right front tire”.
    5. Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.
    6. Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.
    7. You should now see “Training Complete” in the LCD display.
    8. Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

To Disable:
    This disables TMPS. This is helpful in the winter when the cold makes your system think it has a flat when it doesn’t, or when you purchase new wheels that don’t have TMPS sensors. The procedure for this is almost the same as the DIY for Global Windows Open/Close except you change a different variable in FoCCCus.
    See:
    KeyFob Windows Up/Down

Follow all the same steps except for step 10.
    At step 10 change the value in #101 to Without Monitoring System
    TPMS disable

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

John Bovard
    Participant

Canada

That should work and I will try it.  But have you discovered where the TPMS threshold parameters live in the body control module?

2016 Focus RS Nitrous Blue:    ordered: Jan 10, built: Sept 9, shipped from plant: Sept 27,  shipped Rhea Leader: Oct 25,

JacobZ06

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@JohnBovard

Sorry no luck on the confirmed TPMS threshold, it possibly could be the setting PSI of 36

But to get around this, just disable the function and if in the future it’s needed re-enable it.

🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

John Bovard
    Participant

Canada

Disabled the TPMS.  Seems confirmed by the absence of any TPMS dash lights after running for 30 min at up to 120K.  Also, my TPMS app no longer shows tire pressures so the data is no longer  being fed into the OBD II bus.  This is good enough until I find the threshold parameter I was looking for.

Thanks white-rs2.

JacobZ06

Emmett Hedigan
    Participant

Ireland

I checked the tyre pressures and they were very high as you all suggested.   Front 47 + 49psi with 47 + 48psi Rear, way too hard.

I took the car for a spin afterwards and the ride was much more comfortable at low speeds and the norm at high speeds however Ford have a real issue with this car.  The steering just goes so light and waves at around 80mph especially as your going through the gears.   It happens around 3800 rpm in third or more in fourth.  It does not happen in 5th or 6th, don’t think so.   It could be linked to the turbo boost when it kicks in.  My guess is it must be linked to the electronic steering (it does have one???) and the software controlling the power to the wheels.    Ford really need to get this solved as its dangerous on back roads.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Tyre Pressures. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!