Tyre puncture repair compressor and white canister

Home Forums Performance Tyres Tyre puncture repair compressor and white canister

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Blamps
    Participant

UK - England

Does anyone know if you use this kit on a puncture, that the tyre cannot be repaired due to the silicon filler.

I ask as I have just used it on a puncture, the kit worked really well and I was able to drive home, about 25 miles. I visited my local Kwik fit centre and they informed me that as the silicon filler had been used, they could not repair the tyre? Replacement for the same Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    235/35 Y 19 (91) £168 fitted, but has to be ordered, next day delivery (not sure if that is good.

They offered me a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 235/35 Y 19 (91) in stock fitted same price.

I was not sure if you can mix these tyres….. can anyone advise please

howsey
    Blocked

UK - Wales

*DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING KWIK FIT SAY* If you stay too long they’ll want to change your brake pads/discs. Generally speaking, though, that stuff does **** your tires up.

baz-2
    Participant

United Kingdom

I would stay with the same tyres………..

baz2

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

I had a brief employment with kwik fit many years ago. The tactics they used to achieve the sales targets were shocking.

The silicon does knacker the tyres though, I wouldn’t mix those tyres either.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

It’s difficult to clean the rim up too if used.

Honorary Member

Blamps
    Participant

UK - England

To all who have replied,

Thank you very much for your replied, much appreciated.

I went to my local Ford dealership this morning to see if i can find out any additional information:

The technicians informed me that unfortunately the white gunk if used writes off the tyre.

The local AA mechanic was there at the time of my visit, and he too confirmed this, apparently its due to the chemicals in the gunk which has a detrimental effect on the rubber inside the tyre. He recommended using Green Slime, apparently its water based and was sold by Halfords. He did say that there were some tyre centres who would still not repair your tyre after using this.

Both Technician and AA mechanic advised using your breakdown service, as most repairs can be plugged at the roadside, which will enable you to get to a tyre centre and have your tyre repaired. (Obviously, that if its repairable)

Hope this is helpful………

CaRSrus
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Great info. I wouldn’t be inclined to mix those 2 types of tyre….stick with the Super Sport.

You can buy some very good motorcycle road-side puncture repair kits…..rubberised plugs and inflation cylinders…..I’ve used that as a temporary means of repair on car tyres too. Saves on a wasted tyre.

Maybe we need to re-think the need to carry a spare, jack, wheel-nut spinner, etc.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@CaRSrus, totally agree full size spare is the only way to go

Photograph

Honorary Member

Gsf
    Participant

UK - England

Hi guys I know this is an old thread but just for future reference on this

once this has been used then yes the tyre should be taken out of service due to the chemicals. What a lot of people don’t know is  if this is used then the TPMS sensor should also be replaced due to the damage it causes to them by the tyre sealant ( a tpms sensor that sits inside the tyre has a small hole in the actual sensor that the silicone fills ) and if using tyreweld then that it corrosive to the sensor itself. In regards to the tyres then it’s best to change like for like so you keep the speed rating , load index all the same unless changing all 4 and as the for the Michelin Cup tyre, this will run for around 4000 miles before wearing out unless being driven very conservative as it is mainly used as a track day tyre ( get you to the track and back ).

Thanks guys

RS Blue Edition

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

@Blamps – Didn’t know the breakdown service plugged tyres at roadside so a good potentially money saving post. Thank you Blamps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Tyre puncture repair compressor and white canister. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!