UK Government noise trial to catch loud exhausts

Home Forums General Non RS Chat UK Government noise trial to catch loud exhausts

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Prototype systems to be trialled at several locations across the UK over the next seven months

The Department for Transport has proposed plans to implement new ways of reducing the number of noisy cars on our roads, following the use of ineffective soft approaches such as warnings and education programmes.
    The technology is designed to target those with illegally modified exhausts, or systems in disrepair, so if you’re the owner of a Porsche 911 GT3 or Lamborghini Huracán, you needn’t worry too much. However, the system is also designed to ‘catch those who rev cars or motorcycle engines beyond legal limits’, so that might have to become a habit of the past.

Initial ‘noise camera’ systems will measure vehicle noise levels and test them against a suitable noise limit, using ANPR cameras to send a letter of warning to the driver of a vehicle deemed too loud. In order to reduce the number of false positives, the system will take the surrounding environment, speed of the road and category of vehicle into consideration when setting thresholds. Alongside the trial of noise cameras, the introduction of an easier way to report noisy vehicles online has also been proposed.

The current noise limit for cars in the UK is 74 dB. However, due to the way in which the thresholds will be set, even a much quieter vehicle could trigger the system given certain environmental conditions and driving styles.

Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling, said: ‘Noise pollution makes the lives of people in communities across Britain an absolute misery and has very serious health impacts. The trial is not intended to target law-abiding drivers, but those who are flouting laws around noise. All vehicles must legally meet strict noise limits before they are allowed on the road. Once a vehicle is in service, exhausts and silencers must by law be maintained in good working order and not altered to increase noise.’

Although no fines will be given out during the seven-month trial, the Department for Transport has said that the systems could be used ‘to help enforce the law’ in the future. If the trial is deemed successful, recommendations will be made to roll the system out across the UK.

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22762/government-noise-camera-trial-aims-to-catch-drivers-with-loud-exhausts

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Well I am sure the pops and bangs from the RS will be in contravention to this.

Coastliner

hitch6742
    Participant

UK - England

I wonder if that includes f***ing annoying sh1tbags on peds/scooters/crappy 50 and 125cc bikes that sound louder than Thor with an ‘eadache, that just red line them everywhere they go…slowly?!

NB 375, Goodrich hoses, RDU cooler (fitted for the hell of it), gas bonnet struts, Mountune RR, hard pipe kit, V1 cat-back….and RS seat covers!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

what a load of bo770cks. this country is full of killjoys in power. They wont mind flying uber taxis filling our airspace and crashing into each other though in a few years time….

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiDvIewpOTiAhWHFxQKHRG4CXkQFjADegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsciencetech%2Farticle-7129383%2FUber-debuts-new-flying-taxis-seat-four-people-launch-2023.html&usg=AOvVaw3iSAjJZz0JL2vG8dPamF9T

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

WAWRS.
    Participant

UK - Wales

World governments want to control everything we humans do, Say or think.

I’m looking forward to the day that MAD MAX happens !! ???????

Freeeedom!

Had a Frozen White RS

Then a

Red Edition RS  

Went away to sample others before realising where my heart lies

Now have a

Nitrous Blue Edition RS 💙 

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Bring on the Revolution,  it’s gonna happen, that’s the only way to restore order.

Honorary Member

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

I’m totally with hitch6742 on this one. The noise those scooter things make on the road ALL the time, not just now and again(pops and bangs) is unbelievable.

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

I first saw mention of this earlier in the week on the BBC news. It showed you one of these noise cameras being triggered off by a motorcycle fitted with an aftermarket pipe as it passed by, the revs didn’t sound to be too high either!

I guess we’ll see just how these pan out, and where the decibel’s limits are set at, but for pity’s sake, what the hell next, I mean, it’ll soon be a bit like that film, I think it was called ‘Demolition Man’, (Stallone and Snipes were in it anyway), set some time in the future where microphones are every where, and you pick up fines for swearing violations!!!!

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Mmmm, Electric vehicles make very little noise…….. so you know where this is going ?

Honorary Member

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Another 5 years and it will be like the 80’s in USSR?, But we will all be driving silent milk floats.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

The future is bleak very bleak

Honorary Member

alloy
    Participant

UK - England

I expect F1 will be next that will make interesting watching shit load of silent electric cars going around a track boring…………………….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to UK Government noise trial to catch loud exhausts. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!