Wheel Changes – Post your pics !

Home Forums Styling Wheels Wheel Changes – Post your pics !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

fixedgear
    Participant

UK - England

Morning all.

I would consider changing the Forged wheels to an after market rim but I was wondering who has changed and what you have changed to?

Please post photos below !

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The obligatory OZ/Mountune Wheels OZ Racing Leggera HLT 8.5 x 19.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

fixedgear
    Participant

UK - England

Nice brakes @white-rs2 !

Are these the wheels that have cracked with other users?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Yes.

I read that same post apparently they failed on a flat straight road. Who’s to say no damage was created earlier on a different road and metal fatigue did the rest. The OZ Leggera HLT, isn’t a new wheel either its been around quits a while and the one on the forum is the only one I’ve read about having a catastrophic failure.

If it was a design or material problem more would be failing as Mountune alone have sold 100’s

As a rule wheels don’t just fail and OZ have enough years of experience behind them to design a wheel that a road car can use, never mind all the F1 teams using them.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

fixedgear
    Participant

UK - England

They look good in any case. What is the weight saving over the Forged wheels?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

fixedgear
    Participant

UK - England

That’s a good saving ! Very light

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

yeah, light because there is less metal in them, and I would judge that to be weaker looking at the spindly spokes! If a wheel is lighter because its made of maybe Magnesium alloy but retains strength, thats a better way of doing things. I have yet to see an aftermarket wheel on the car that actually looks or suits it better than the OE china forged rim in satin black. On a road car I’d plump for strength and safety before a few kilos of weight loss, its not like its an F1 car where every gram counts. And yes , I know a few kilos of wheel weight loss is not the same as a few kilos of body weight loss!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Magnesium is lighter, but brittle and very expensive. Hit the average pot hole in the UK and a magnesium wheel would break-up, where a Ford OE or aftermarket would probably buckle.

Less metal often means weaker, this is not always the case. Who knows the make up of the OEM alloy material and the aftermarket alloy materials used. I guess the aftermarket has a better grade of alloy used as their are bigger £££ margins to be made. As Ford would want to pay around £320 a set for the forged rims.

As for the OEM wheels I agree they are a great looking factory rim with absolutely nothing wrong with them.

As the Focus Mk3 is a world car and the Forged wheels are available worldwide they have to survive around the globe so would be engineered for that purpose going down a desert dust road in Australia or on a German Autobahn. Ford have to design/specify a compromise/cost.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

weasel
    Participant

Switzerland

I have the ATS Racelight on my RS.

8.5×19…weight: 9.8kg

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

47 years old and 140000 miles and no cracking or corrosion or failures yet! Magnesium, just don’t get them on fire ! Aerosol’d once since 1983 ! (I’m lazy)

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

fixedgear
    Participant

UK - England

@weasel did you go from Forged wheels to the ATS? They look quite similar

fixedgear
    Participant

UK - England

I’m fond of the TSW Sebring, I think it would look good on a NB car in black.

weasel
    Participant

Switzerland

No, the grey standard wheels.

rog
    Participant

UK - England

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Wheel Changes – Post your pics !. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!