Which oil?

Home Forums Performance Engine Which oil?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

Has anyone used a different oil brand than the usual Castrol edge stuff?

Motul have the Ford approved 0/40 and I recall this brand being respected amongst the Impreza community and I would imagine this being more common in the European market? (Being French)

I guess you would need to supply the dealer with the oil at service time as they tend to take the easy way out and stock Castrol.

JohnD

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

Hi John

The castrol edge for the RS has a formulation including a fluorescent marker, it is probably no different to the standard castrol edge though

The risk is, if engine issues show up and the oil test indicates no marker ford may void the warrenty claim

May the Ford be with you

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Yes and it’s micro filtered, that’s why the marker is added. I know of a warranty engine claim turned down due to the oil not being correct. FMC get the dealer to shine a UV light on the oil, quick and simple test.

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

No, the motul meets the relevant Ford spec. so they couldn’t weedle their way out of a claim on that basis!

I thought the original fill oil had the marker?  Certainly, the Castrol Edge in mine shows no such discolouring.

JohnD

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Statement I got direct from Castrol when I asked the question.

‘There is a technical difference in that the Professional version undergoes finer filtration in order to match the cleanliness level of the factory fill fluid for the Focus RS and so continues the  same standard as the “oil it was born with”

Standard EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 is filtered but not to the same extent.’

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Which oil?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!