Winter lay-up

Home Forums Regional England – North Winter lay-up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

john boardman
    Participant

UK - England

Any advice on winter lay up, i’m 71 and well retired, don’t  need to use car in winter and don’t want expense of winter tyres. OE tyres only good at or above 7 deg c. Battery no prob, CTEC for stop/start battery in use and de humidified garage. What is causing me concern is whether or not to periodicaly start car over a period of lets say 3 months, dec/ march. Oil is 0/40, pretty thin at low temp, concerned that over a 3 month period oil would leave upper bearing surfaces if car not started. Lots of different opinions on this issue, some say leave it alone, some say start every month and fully warm through.

car is put away clean and dry under a tailored cover taking out on salted roads would defeat lay up.

Considering pulling fuse for fuel pump and cranking to get oil pressure without starting. ANY THOUGHTS?  John, RS red edition

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I would take it out for a quick drive, say about 10 miles or so every 10 to 14 days. There are always some nice clear dry cold days over winter, its not wet or salty every day. ( well at least its not where I live ! I have not once in 35 years of owning my RS1600 ever wintered or laid it up! It loves cold winter days.And I never even need to charge the battery!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

paul-m
    Participant

UK - England

Agree with 71-bda, I periodically take my RS out during the nice days in winter and have no problems.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

I agree with 71-bda periodic run doesn’t even need to be 10/14 days. a 30min run once a month. I did this with my Mk2 had it six years just make sure car is dry when its garaged and CTEK plugged in.

Coastliner

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

Mine gets parked up 1st sept until 1st April run her up 15 mins every month seems to work fine for me with ctec charger on

jb
    Participant

UK - England

My advise is as follows – take it out for a good hard run of 15-20 miles getting the brakes good and hot and then park it up in the garage. Put 42lbs of air in the tyres to keep them round and pop on the battery conditioner.

Do not restart until springtime…..the key to successful storage is put it away really hot with all moisture burnt off in the engine,exhaust etc….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Winter lay-up. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!