Working from home…..

Home Forums Performance General Working from home…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all, turning to this great site once again for some advice if you can..

Luckily I have managed to persuade the mother in law to let me have her garage which now allows me to work on the car when dark and cold!

Can I please have advice on equipment I need to get started such as which are best low pro trolley jacks, axle stands, ramps that won’t take out my front splitter as I reverse as too steep and anything else I need. I’m sure I saw someone on here who had a mk1 picture they shared that was on a full mini lift (scissor lift) which was impressive but dare say expensive and demon tweaks at the back of the catalogue have some nice drive on risers but again not cheap however if I can justify the ease of doing this then it’s an option…

CheeRS, Al

Eibach Pumaspeed springs UK  – Mountune full Induction – delete valve plug – carbon knob – JCR seat lowering kit set @ 39mm – black nuts! Engine forged by FJRS – TCR front splitter V2 and side skirts – RS rallyflapz – Car serviced/maintained by GS Motorsport

bigdave
    Participant

Australia

I do not have jacks or stands but did look into some, the Kinchrome super low profile jack one looked good, only supports 1,100kg but it’s quite long so will get right under the car. The car weights 1,600kg, so as long as the stands support at least 1,500kg each you’ll be good. And if you are getting multiple stands get all the same brand/model so you know they will all lock at the same height. Personally I’d get the Steeda jacking rails fitted before using jacks.

I have Race Ramps to drive up on and change the oil/have a mooch around, they are good, really light, a little pricey. But they only lift the front or back depending which way you drive up them.

Costco have the scissor lifts for 1,500 of the Kings pounds, they would be cool.

the-radman
    Participant

UK - England

the jacking rails are a good idea as you can jack anywhere along them and put your axles stands under them,you can even lift the whole side of the car if you jack in the middle.im selling some soon if you do go that route

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

Cheers Dave, ref the ramps is there no issue with the front catching or is yours not lowered? I like the simplicity and safety of driving up a ramp and boom that’s it!

Radman – heard about these rails and seem a great idea, got to ask though if so good why are you selling or is this another set you have! 😬

Eibach Pumaspeed springs UK  – Mountune full Induction – delete valve plug – carbon knob – JCR seat lowering kit set @ 39mm – black nuts! Engine forged by FJRS – TCR front splitter V2 and side skirts – RS rallyflapz – Car serviced/maintained by GS Motorsport

bigdave
    Participant

Australia

I’m not lowered. I have the 54″ length race ramps that have a 10.8 degree angle, and raise the car by 8″. Any lower than standard and I think you’d scrape. You can get longer ones that have less of an angle.

Use this to calculate the angle you might need

https://www.raceramps.com/angleofapproachcalculator.aspx

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

Top man Dave 👍🏻

bigdave
    Participant

Australia

It’s pretty close, can’t even fit a finger between the gap, so you’d definitely need a lesser angle ramp

Race Ramp_01

bigdave
    Participant

Australia

Just posted this picture because I like it 🙂

Race Ramp 02

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

Geez not much room there Dave!

Nice pics Dave, those scissor lifts look a good deal at £1500, had a quick look online

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

I fitted the rails makes it hassle free to jack up or blocks and lift on lift easier 

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

more photos of whats behind needed Ian !! 😎

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

and I’m still seeing that plate as LES BIANS !!  ha ha ha

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

the-radman
    Participant

UK - England

@al-b  only reason im selling the beams is they were on my focus st which im selling,im not putting them on my rs as im the only person who works on that one and i have a pit in my garage for that

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

Mex that is one sweet set up…. Some of that lift please and your trolley jack!

Bda you beat me to it, what is that car… I nearly said an MG at first glance

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

@radman – you have a pit in your garage… wow!

Drop me a line at rocker79@icloud.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Working from home…... If you're not already a member then you can register for free!