Winter Weather 2024/2025 predictions and reports

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Winter Weather 2024/2025 predictions and reports

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

The predictions for winter 2024/2025 suggest it will be one of the most challenging in recent years, with the potential for significant cold spells, increased snowfall, and wet, stormy conditions. The influence of La Niña and the weakened Polar Vortex means it’s crucial to plan ahead.

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

maybe oop North Bob, but doon here int South it will probably be mild and wet with lots of wind. Think we only had three frosts here this year !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

It is a little to early for an in-depth winter weather forecast, but early indications are the UK will be cold and wet until mid January and then from the Midlands north to Scotland will have some frosts and just a little snow. February will be cold and frosty throughout the UK

Honorary Member

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

The Impact of La Niña on UK Weather Winter 2024/2025 could be heavily influenced by a developing La Niña event. La Niña is the cooler counterpart of El Niño, both part of the El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) phenomenon that significantly impacts global climate. During a La Niña, cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean can alter atmospheric circulation, bringing colder and wetter conditions to various regions, including Europe. According to long-range forecasts, La Niña could strengthen during late 2024 and into early 2025, increasing the likelihood of colder conditions across the UK​. La Niña winters have historically been associated with increased chances of cold spells and more significant snowfall in parts of the UK​. This could mean a return to more traditional winter weather, characterised by frosty mornings, icy conditions, and heavier snowfalls, especially in northern and higher-altitude areas.

Temperature Outlook: Cold Spells and Polar Vortex Influence Winter 2024/2025 is predicted to see colder-than-average temperatures, particularly during the core winter months of December to February. The presence of a weaker-than-normal Polar Vortex could exacerbate these cold conditions. The Polar Vortex is a large area of low pressure and cold air surrounding the Earth’s poles. When it weakens, cold Arctic air can spill southwards, increasing the chances of cold snaps and heavy snowfall in the UK​. Meteorologists also point to the role of the Quasi-Biennial Oscillation (QBO), a shifting wind pattern in the stratosphere, which may interact with the Polar Vortex to produce disruptive weather. With both the Polar Vortex and QBO aligning in ways that typically lead to colder winters, it’s likely that the UK could see some of its coldest temperatures in recent years​.

Snowfall Predictions: A Snowier Season Early snowfall forecasts indicate that the UK may experience above-average snowfall during the winter of 2024/2025, particularly in Scotland, northern England, and mountainous regions. La Niña winters are often associated with more significant precipitation, and when combined with colder temperatures, this increases the probability of heavier and more frequent snowfalls​. While southern parts of the UK typically experience milder winters, this year could bring more widespread snow, with several predictions pointing to potential snow events even in southern England. However, high-altitude areas and Scotland are expected to bear the brunt of the snowstorms.

Honorary Member

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Rainfall and Storm Activity: Wet and Windy Conditions While snow is anticipated to play a major role this winter, rain and storm activity are also expected to be more frequent, especially during the early and late parts of the season. High-pressure systems, typically associated with La Niña, may push the jet stream further north, allowing for more wet and windy weather​. Coastal regions and areas exposed to westerly winds may see increased storm activity, with periods of heavy rain and gales becoming common. The risk of flooding in low-lying and river-adjacent areas could rise due to increased precipitation, particularly in the western regions of the UK. Therefore, it’s essential for residents in these areas to be prepared for potential disruptions caused by winter storms.

Summary: Preparing for a Harsh Winter In conclusion, the winter of 2024/2025 is shaping up to be one of the most challenging in recent years for the UK. With the likelihood of colder temperatures, increased snowfall, and heightened storm activity, it’s advisable to prepare for a more severe winter season than usual. La Niña’s influence, combined with a weak Polar Vortex and shifting atmospheric patterns, suggests that the UK could experience both frequent cold spells and significant winter storms.

Honorary Member

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

More to come  soon 🙂👍

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

The current media weather reports get on my ti-s, only need to be a moderate bit of rain or wind and panic it’s an Amber weather warning.

Then anything stops working and oh it’s due to unprecedented weather, what this world has nether seen a storm. FFS

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

Just order a set of winter tyres for daughters Ford ecosport. I hop it’s cold and snowy so get good use out of them, gone for Continental WinterContact TS 870 as came out top in which 2024 test.

May the Ford be with you

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

I will try not to send anyone into panic buying mode with the weather forecasts ha ha ha

To be honest in my humble opinion unless you are in the far North of Scotland it will not be to bad until the end of January start of February……….”

WELL MAYBE 🤔😆👍

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

woo woo

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Cheers Bob, that’s very interesting.

People need to understand the effects of El Nino and La Lina in order to put so called climate change into perspective.

Even the Met office have admitted its the biggest cause of perceived climate change:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/oceans/el-nino

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

A wet and windy winter eh!. Well what do you know!

Yorkirs, ive been using Continental winter tyres on my daily’s for about 15 years now – wouldn’t leave home without them (I literally can’t leave my home without them as I cant get up the hill outside my house when icy)- Actually, I’m running Continental all weathers since January which seem as good as the winters but have effected the efficiency of my EV badly – I reckon I’ve lost 10%ish.

Continental winter tyres have been winning magazine tests for as long as I can remember. They really are night and day when its freezing and icy.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Honorary Member

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Winter Weather 2024/2025 predictions and reports. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!