500bhp cracked!

Home Forums Performance General 500bhp cracked!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Full Blown Motorsports First to Break 500Hp

Using the FBM Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade and FBM 850hp Intercooler Full Blown were able to extract 501whp and 476 ft lbs tuned on Cobb Tuning.

The Ford Focus RS Ecoboost uses direct injection for its fueling. FBM quickly found that the DI system needed support in order to meet their fueling demand.

Their solution was a secondary port injector system that adds (4) additional injectors on its own manifold/spacer and fuel rail. This allowed them to run the maximum ethanol content available at the pump (E83) to suppress detonation.

Although the factory clutch seemed to be doing its job, it was actually slipping worse after each dyno pull above 450ft lbs. Full Blown contacted their friends at Clutchmasters and came up with a solution to put down the power. After installing the clutch, they went back on the dyno and laid down the first 500hp pull.

andywalk
    Participant

United Kingdom

Awesome! where do i sign?

400andrising
    Participant

UK - England

I wonder why you wouldn’t just install a fuel pressure regulator and uprated fuel pump. Adding more injectors and rails seems OTT for this jump, and I’d do it using a larger turbo and forged internals instead of putting race fuel in the car.

Did they send a graph with the RPM at the bottom of is that cut off deliberately? Seems a bit odd to remove that unless it’s laggy and they don’t want anyone to see.

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

They told me that this is the only upgraded turbo that will realistically be good for every day use and even then will obviously depend on boost levels which are up to the mid 30s

I found the guy I spoke with very open and honest and I’m sure will answer any questions if you register your interest with them and then give them a bell

Im not at all technically proficient but they told me the E fuel was used to try and get something that replicated our 98-99 Ron and not their low octane donkey fuel

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

Incidentally, if the US fuel is so low rated….how the hell do owners with typical European cars get on ?

400andrising
    Participant

UK - England

The US RON rating isn’t the same as European.

See here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Some US states have decent fuel.

The Yank rating is based on averages.

I didn’t see the note on uprated turbo, but yeah that would make more sense to make that level of power but I’d still like to see the RPM on the graph to see how laggy it is or isn’t.

greg
    Participant

UK - Wales

How long before the internals decide enough is enough, that’s a ticking time bomb imo.

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

That’s why the internals will be changed at day 1

End of the day if like me you enjoy modifying cars then you accept that even after all your thought and precaution…sh1t happens and you deal with it

400andrising
    Participant

UK - England

So hang on, now internals have to be changed? Where does it mention that above!?
    Has anything else been left out?
    I see several comments on the FB page asking why extra injectors and so on.
    For me this has been a headline grabbing exercise that hasn’t really delivered on expectations.

If I’m spending that sort of cash to forge the engine and so on I’d be looking to an established UK company like Mountune or Pumaspeed.

djc1969
    Participant

UK - Scotland

It will go BANG. The work these guys are doing is highly impressive, but they are doing it for one reason and one only – to test what self destructs at elevated power and torque – to then replace it with better components. Headlines = attention = publicity = sales.

So their work commences ….

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

Stronger internals are already being advertised via several tuners  and this company has not recommended or suggested anything other than they have reached a number on a graph

They have said that the clutch was struggling and I’d be stunned if it wasn’t (even though it’s considered strong) and TBH if you’re going to add another 50% power to any forced induction car then surely internals should be a consideration if boost levels are tripled

people are fitting the forged internals that are looking at the early to mid 4’s in order to be on the safe side

there is a really safe alternative though……leave the car standard and stop worrying

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

Rear drivetrain worries me more but  I’m sure it will be identified and dealt with very soon

djc1969
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I suspect dyno’d in 2wd mode therefore no stress on the rdu at all. Let’s see how this works out. If that tune, with limited hardware change is reliable and maintains a decent degree of driveability, then I’ll be impressed…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to 500bhp cracked!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!