A totally pointless posting

Home Forums General Non RS Chat A totally pointless posting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

john-tukan
    Participant

UK - England

My father died a couple of weeks ago. We weren’t close as he was a fiercely independent person and definitely not a family person. As the only surviving next of kin I’ve started arrangements. At the mortuary I discussed what to do with him. I rang the Council to ask what bin to put him in, was it the waste bin or recycling. Even though he was 95 I thought some bits may be recyclable. They told me I’d have to go through a Funeral director as there were certain rules to obey. So I went to the Co-Op. As this was my third time in as almost as many years I thought I may have got a “buy 2 get one free” deal but was unsuccessful. I was asked about coffins. Bloody hell £1000+ for a wooden box. My offer to go to B&Q, get some 2×2 and a few planks of wood was met with a disapproving glare. They even wanted to line the coffin with stuff. I gave them a roll of bubble wrap and told them to get on with it. The funeral is on Friday, he didn’t make friends and there’s no other family so no-one will be there. I wasn’t going to go but think I would regret it later on. I was asked if I wanted some music played – my mind went into overdrive (“Light my fire” by the Doors?) but I’m not that cruel! I may say a few words but what can you say about someone you had no respect for. I can think of a couple but again I’m not cruel!

Anyway, the point of this load of rubbish is that the old bugger left me a few bob, not much, but enough for me to give a home to a new edition “red” RS if I so desired. I would keep the Golf (love it) as my everyday car and just use an RS to play with and pose in. Even with all the negatives surrounding it, it still appeals – but why????. If I could find a good Ford Cortina Mk2 1600E in Aubergine, who’s back seat hasn’t been used to increase the population of Dagenham, that may be a good substitute.

Totally useless posting, still miss my RS sometimes, so back to the paperwork. RIP Dad.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

My sympathies are with you John missing the RS. Sorry the read the loss of your Father may he RIP.

Honorary Member

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

A bit of a cliché, but this puts a lot into perspective.

You also have my sincere sympathies.

Phil

gary1234
    Participant

UK - England

John

so sorry to hear re your father god be with him

rs-le
    Participant

UK - England

John

sorry for the loss of you dad.

god bless..

“treat yourself, life’s too short”

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

John, I took my mother out for a drive and lunch two years ago in the Fiesta ST3 I had at the time.

In conversation she said I should buy a new car next year, yeah right I said.

One day the next year I arrived at her house to find her dead , a plastic bag tied over her head.

I would give up my RS now to have my Mum back, ongoing dementia is a terrible condition.

Part of my inheritance paid for the car, I think of her each time I drive it. She loved the ST, the RS would have put a smile on her face 🙂

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@ Elliot, thanks for sharing your sad loss you have my sympathies too

Honorary Member

john-tukan
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks everybody for your condolences. I was particularly moved by Elliot’s post. To some, a car holds meaningful memories and is more than a colour and the latest Mountune mod**, it’s a poignant part of their life and holds very personal memories. When I replaced my Kia with the RS, although I was really excited, it was like loosing a part of me. I’m sure there are many on this forum who have suffered a loss at some time and have grieved, and the one thing we will all have in common is, I guess, regrets. Even though I had little respect for my father I still regret not making the time to see him in his last year. I found him a care home a year ago after a lot of aggravation from the hospital etc. During that year I didn’t visit him as I was pissed off with his actions. He also made no effort to contact me. Next thing I know he’s in hospital, unable to communicate and dying. So many things unsaid. So my message is consider ”What if……..” Again, many thanks. I’ve treated myself tonight to a Doner Kebab (mayonnaise/chile sauce), chips and a bottle of Merlot (the man’s got style!).

** When I modded my car in the 70’s I would be changing block/pistons, cams, heads, manifolds, carbs, gearboxes etc. Mountune just looks like a load of rubber tubes and jubilee clips!! To tune the car these days you need a laptop, in my day it was spanners and a big hammer, plus the type of mind that could drive a whole stage using the choke cable as a throttle cable (not recommended – soppy old fart)! Ah memories. Again many thanks. Looking out of the window at my Golf R wishing I hadn’t had a drink cos I really fancy a good thrash! Maybe tomorrow.

crocket81
    Participant

UK - England

Sorry for your lose John, I’ve lost both my parents in the last 3 yrs so it’s not been a good time, I bought my rs with inheritance money from their house sale, I love the car and I know they would love it to but I’d give it straight back for just one day with them, we only live once so let’s all enjoy it whist we’re here

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

John,

None of your postings are pointless, but I would say more thought provoking, they do make people think and in some ways and relate to what’s written. A paragraph I like particularly and is a favourite of mine is. LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS YOU TAKE, BUT THE NUMBER OF EXPERIENCES THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY. Nice to here from you John.

Coastliner

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to A totally pointless posting. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!