Brake fluid

Home Forums Performance Brakes Brake fluid

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

I’m soon to be changing my discs, pads and fit some braided brake lines. What fluid are people using. I’m not going to be doing any track days anytime soon so should I stick with dot4 or go for 5.1?

440bhp

443lbft

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

Mine is in my Signature.
    No track days, no custom brake lines or specific pads?
    Keep the OEM one.

Nitrous Blue Dyno Tuned @ 600 NM | Wagner Tuning – Competition IC | REVO Carbon CAI 

HJS 200 Cell Sportkat Remus Cat-back | SS Black Chrome Tailpipes

Fischer-Hydraulik SS Brake Lines | Endless RF 650 Brake Fluid | Endless ME20 Pads F+R (squeak king)

Rotors: TSP XG150 – DBA 5000 T3 SLOT | DBA 4000 T3 SLOT | Suspension: MR – KW Clubsport 2 way with H&R ARB F+R

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

Stick with standard dot4 if not doing track days(not needed and more ££), ford brake fluid is like £10 ltr on Ebay or any good quality is as good/ maybe better, 1ltr should be plenty for a good flush and refill. If your brake pads are worn don’t fill reservoir to max, as when you fit new pads it will likely overflow.

Higher spec brake fluid is more hydroscopic (absorbs moisture more), meaning more regular changes are required.

Recommended to change standard is every 2yrs.

I’ve changed brake fluid( not on my vehicle’s I’ll ad) that is horrible colours – totally black in the reservoir(rubber from the master cylinder)and green from caliper (indicating moisture in fluid causing oxidizing of the metals), not good. I always flush and if you can get your help to apply brake then push the caliper piston fully in and at same time bleed the fluid out(over the top I know, but it gets new fluid in behind the pistons).

Also some dot 5.1 fluids actually have a lower boiling point to some dot 4 fluids.

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Cheers 1234enough. I’ve ordered a 1ltr of the ford stuff from eBay.</p>

440bhp

443lbft

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

Matt B, it’s an easy job and for what a Ltr costs well worth the piece of mind & an hour of fun on u drive👍

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Brake fluid. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!