Central Locking Dead battery

Home Forums Performance Electronics/ECU Central Locking Dead battery

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sniffle
    Participant

UK - England

Hoping someone can help with some advice.

i’v had a battery drain for a while if i don’t start the car at least once a day its totally dead
    finally had an auto electrician look at it today and he confirmed my worries
    it is the central locking

now if anyone had a similar issue or know of it

was it just changing the exterior door handles or was it a door card off to get inside the door job
    Thank you.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Can you give a little more information? Are you the first owner or someone who purchased second hand? Has the car had a new battery as quite a few are dying now from 5 years old onward, other than that not heard of a central locking fault causing a drain on the battery. Also what year car is it mileage and a little more background info.

Coastliner

Sniffle
    Participant

UK - England

hey mate, Sorry wasn’t sure what info would be useful

Original owner

on its third battery this ones 6 months old
    49k 18 plate
    started about a month ago if left anything longer than 14 hours totally dead not even doors unlocking on the fob
    this morning iv had multi meter set up in series and pulled fuses volts dropped when he pulled a fuse and told me its F70 (central locking)
    but looking at it now im home and on pc he may have ment F78 (keyless module) as they are right next to each other in the fuse box.

so he’s narrowed down the fault but im still abit lost on where to got from here as i don’t fancy just going nuts on 4 £150 each door handles and maybe a boot latch to

so my thought was put a multi meter back on it in series and pop each door handle one at a time or am i wasting my time as it could be a issue inside the door.

thank you.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

So with that info you certainly have a drain fault, isolating exactly which part of the system is causing the drain could be more challenging. I would bet that its something part or module that’s been subjected to moisture as water is the main cause of electrical issues. You just have to isolate which circuit it is.

Coastliner

Sniffle
    Participant

UK - England

Just an update for anyone that’s ends up here looking for info on a similar problem.

It was the exterior door handles causing the drain very easy to pop off

Standing near the car before  it would randomly try to lock so i suspect a faulty senor in the door handle it self I did try pop the plastic cover off but being gentle trying not to break it made it very difficult so I gave up, in the end I just didn’t plug the keyless system back in when putting the door handles back on, so that will save the battery till I can find a nice set of handles on Ebay/salvage.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the update, will make a mental note should this happen to me.

Coastliner

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Central Locking Dead battery. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!