Chasing wires down the steering column

Home Forums Styling General Chasing wires down the steering column

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Smudger068
    Participant

UK - England

Guys

If I was to chase wires from the steering wheel down the column how would I do it? or can it be done?

Thank you Lee.

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

Wiring diagrams are a handy start, failing that it’s a case of following the wires/ disconnecting everything and  checking wires with continuity tester, good luck, why do u need to trace them? I had to do this to remove an alarm from a motor bike and boy it’s a headache as all 11 of um were black with no diagram available

Smudger068
    Participant

UK - England

I should have put add wires really…

I have tried to find RS diagrams but I am struggling a little which I will need later…

I would like to add a custom switch to the steering wheel having it integrated is not a problem the issue I am having is research on getting the wires through the wheel and down the column.

Thanks

marty_rs
    Participant

UK - England

Its reading to me that you’re wanting to add a switch on the steering wheel. The issue you’re going to face it all the factory fitted wiring goes the the slip ring behind the steering wheel. Copper strips wound round i a coil which allows for the steering wheel to go lock to lock whilst still having wiring and switches to the wheel, the horn and airbag also go through this. Word of warning though, if you’ve already got the wheel off, dont turn the slip ring by hand.

Smudger068
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you for your input guys..

I was a afraid you were going to say that. No I haven’t had the wheel off just yet! Thought I’d seek advice first. Seems like too much of a task to be honest.

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Chasing wires down the steering column. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!