Clutch spring assembly

Home Forums Performance Transmission Clutch spring assembly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

My clutch pedal seems too have a bit of play when it’s not compressed, which I guess is normal but hard to tell as to what extent the ‘play’ should be. The other day, when I started the car the clutch was acting strange and I think sort of stuck down when compressed, but it never quite feels exactly the same on all journeys.

I have checked the clutch spring and it looks as though the clutch spring assembly (plastic part) has split, but the spring is keeping it all wedged in, as it is supposed to, so I’m unsure if this is the issue. I hope to god that it is just this and not the clutch itself!

I’m going to replace it, but want to check if the clutch spring assembly part is the same across all focus mk3 range? As I don’t think there is a specific one for the mk3 RS, if anybody can correct me if I’m wrong.

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

Cant comment on whether spring and assembly same across all focus models I don’t think it but steeda do a replacement spring and perch on there website with next day delivery.

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks for that, I’ve had a look and the price for the spring and perch is insulting to say the least, and the genuine Ford part is just as bad! I was hoping to grab used one from a breaker. They certainly look exactly the same, as I can always transfer my RS clutch spring over to the working perch, being careful not to break that one and all.

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

Ahh ok, I went easy life and ordered new πŸ™‚

paulg
    Participant

UK - England

The plastic perch is the same across the Focus range, and even the Kuga. In fact, a mate of mine has a Steeda clutch spring in his Kuga!

Nitrous Blue FPM375, Milltek, DSC & TracTive, lots of Mountune bits

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Adam Rainey has done a video on this and here it is.

Coastliner

srea064
    Participant

UK - England

I highly recommend the Steeda spring, much easier to drive in stop start traffic as the spring is more forgiving at the top end.

Perch is easy enough to separate and click back together when replacement spring is fitted, as already said all Focus MK3 perches are the same (plastic spring carrier).

Steve – Magnetic Grey – Sold.

Hope to join Bobcat as an Honorary Member?!?

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks all, I have ordered the Steeda spring, but ordered a new perch separately as is was much cheaper to do it that way, providing I can get it on without breaking it! I’ll take on the risk and see how it goes, but can’t see it being too difficult to do, if done properly.

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve been thinking about doing this since seeing Adam’s video… spring not bad price, but complete unit is very expensive. May go with the option natew mentions here. Hmmmm, may have to get one πŸ™‚

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Natew, let us know how you get on.

Where you get the perch from? I’ve already broke one trying to swap it out.

NB FPM375

natew
    Participant

UK - Wales

I managed to do change over the spring, but it wasn’t without its problems! With the new spring fitted, if feels like a complete different pedal to me, but that’s probably because the previous one had been broken before I purchased the car and the only feeling I had from it. It’s much smoother and more comfortable since I notice it doesn’t ‘kick back’ as much when the clutch is closing, I must have been over compensating with the previous one and my muscle memory should get used to this one quickly.

Now, onto the problem, the perch seems to be made from cheese and break so easily. That said, the one I ordered was not an original part, and probably a cheap ‘made in china’ knock off, but it does the job. The cheap knock off one I ordered was ~Β£18, which came with a spring, so obviously, this had to be removed to put the Steeda one on. When I was carefully tapping the body away from the head of the perch, the collar on the head snapped! So I conjured up a hybrid between the head of my original perch (since this part was not broken), and the body of the new one. All that I can suggest for anyone trying to change over to the new spring is be very careful when separating the perch.

ash351
    Participant

UK - England

Does the pedal feel heavier lighter or the same when depressing it ?

srea064
    Participant

UK - England

The pedal is lighter and easier to not only press, but also hold down in slow stop start traffic too.

The only downside is the spring is not strong enough to push the pedal right back to the top of it’s travel so it sits about 10mm lower than the OEM spring/pedal.Β  Can easily live with that though.

ash351
    Participant

UK - England

Sounds good to me thanks for the information πŸ‘

srea064
    Participant

UK - England

The easiest way to separate the spring perch for me was to up end a couple of bricks and sit the perch tangs as per the photo. I then used a reversed drill bit the same size as the hole and gave it a light tab with a hammer. The perch separates instantly with no damage at all to the plastic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Clutch spring assembly. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!